PDA

View Full Version : Don't try too hard or youy might loose!

oldracer
04-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Like I did today! We had our monthly black powder match today and the temps were in low 70s which is just perfect. I brought out "Peaches", a 50 cal muzzle loader made by Roger Johnson, a member on here. It had the stock modified by cutting off 2 1/2 inches so I could reach the trigger and I added about 1 1/2 pounds of lead in the stock so the gun balances perfect. The first part of our match is 5 shots at 25 yards on a small bulls eye and darned if I didn't win! I have about licked my "bulls eye fixation" and only had on shot outside the black.

The second part are small sized steels and we shot chickens (very little), bison and pigs. We shoot 3 sets on all 3 targets for a max of 18 points. I had two double shots and never looked at the score until the last round and I had to shoot a chicken and I had hit the first two on the first shot. No problem I figured and I'd tie for 2nd! Well missed the 1st shot, now a possible tie for 3rd......no I missed the second one too! I was trying too hard and in my mind I had made the target way too important I think?

Anyways I was really happy with the way the day went, thanks Rogers for a great rifle.

stubshaft
04-02-2017, 11:30 PM
When shooting steel, you have to concentrate on shooting one target at a time. You can't count how many misses you can give up.

johnson1942
04-03-2017, 08:31 AM
thanks for that one. that barrel on that gun was made by one of the best muzzleloading rifle barrel makers in the USA. it was one of the last barrels he made, he was 84 years old and didnt die of old age. he was killed by a drunken driver as was his wife just a day or two after he made that barrel. the barrel on that gun is a good one and it has a interesting history. thanks oldracer.

charlie b
04-04-2017, 07:13 AM
Cool history, and sad.

Target panic. Every target sport has it. Even ones like golf, baseball pitching, basketball, etc. It's a matter of getting your thinking out of the way. Eye-hand and let the brain run on it's own. Easy to say, difficult to do when it is crunch time.

oldracer
04-04-2017, 09:52 AM
A couple years ago, before I got sick with this Lupus stuff and arthritis on top of it, I shot a 50 point score on the bulls eye target and also a medal in the steel section. Hadn't been done in quite a while I was told soooooooo of course I have been wanting that again!

Roger can you let me know who the barrel maker was before he died please? If nothing else for bragging rights when most everyone stands there and admires the gun and I tell them this "old guy who makes several a year in the mid west" did it and they marvel at it. You can send it in an email if you want, doesn't matter. Thanks

johnson1942
04-04-2017, 11:42 AM
i dont know his name but call the oregon rifle barrel co and ask the current barrel maker who taught him as thats the guy. he was the the barrel maker until his death by drunk and the current guy learned from him . the current guy told me that the guy who taught him was a nasty old fart as he wanted perfection and if he didnt get it he go really nasty. i like that in a barrel maker, no bad barrels that way.if your going to something . do it well. your barrel has history and is a perfect one, worth much in history and even worth much in real money. with the 1/72 twist may shoot best with 100 grains of powder behind it.

54bore
04-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Cool history, and sad.

Target panic. Every target sport has it. Even ones like golf, baseball pitching, basketball, etc. It's a matter of getting your thinking out of the way. Eye-hand and let the brain run on it's own. Easy to say, difficult to do when it is crunch time.

This is for sure! I have HORRIBLE target panic with my bow in front of people (3D shoots are something i avoid!) i keep my finger behind my release trigger during the draw cycle, instead of slowly moving my trigger finger back around when i get on target, i do it all at once! Hurry around and PUNCH/PULL the trigger. Its a habit I constantly fight with. This is truly EMBARRASSING but i am honest and will tell it, i went to a big 3D shoot with a couple of friends 3-4 years ago, The biggest target of the entire shoot was a full life size Moose standing broadside, the shot was only 50 yards, i drawed and set my 50 yard pin behind his front shoulder, i swung my finger around and PUNCHED the trigger, in the process i jerked my bow to right, i totally MISSED that broadside Moose!! There was a steep bank behind the Moose target and you could see a LOOOOOONG way, My arrow was all air the last we seen it! I haven't been to a 3D archery shoot since. Funny thing is I shoot my bow REALLY good when i am alone, or with my dad, but get me around an audience of strangers and i need LOTS of arrows!! LOL

oldracer
04-04-2017, 04:33 PM
I called the folks in Oregon and found the name of the late barrel master was "Bill Rogers", no relation as far as I know? I was told he pulled out in front of a full sized pickup driven by a young fellow and was t-boned and died pretty much on impact! Not a good way to go I feel. Here's a picture of me getting ready to shoot with the rifle mentioned.192568

johnson1942
04-04-2017, 06:19 PM
thanks, i will remember that name.