PDA

View Full Version : Looking for book called: Mig Pilot

flyer1
04-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Does some one have a a book called" Mig Pilot, The final escape of Lt. Belenko", that they would be willing loan or sell inexspensively? I looked on line and it is out of print and used ones start at around 20 bucks. I would like to read it but not willing to spend 20 bucks for a used paperback.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

shoot-n-lead
04-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Hardback

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/mig-pilot-the-final-escape-of-lt-belenko_john-daniel-barron/253150/?mkwid=sR9U2z4ud%7cdc&pcrid=70112890512&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwoLHBRDD0beVheu3lt0BEiQAvU4CKhQoGXdp Don-LNJZluOdIf6wvL5e2gPpqaK5qIOZNjIaAjSd8P8HAQ#isbn=00 70038503&idiq=4520920

Kent Fowler
04-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Check the OCLC World Cat. Shows local and not so local libraries who have the book. Paste the title in the search bar then input your zip. It even showed I could take a little day trip of 482 miles one way to El Paso to check out a copy. Seems to be a fair amount of libraries that have the book in your neck of the woods.

Ickisrulz
04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Google the book in pdf or electronic format.

flyer1
04-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Google the book in pdf or electronic format.
I did not have any luck with the ebook or pdf. The pdf down load showed a virus.

Thanks for the replies.

Ickisrulz
04-02-2017, 05:51 PM
I did not have any luck with the ebook or pdf. The pdf down load showed a virus.

Thanks for the replies.

Isn't this it here? It is online, not even a download.

http://testpilot.ru/review/mig_pilot/ch_1.htm

flyer1
04-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Isn't this it here? It is online, not even a download.

http://testpilot.ru/review/mig_pilot/ch_1.htm

Fantastic! Thank you very much!

Mike

Randy Bohannon
04-02-2017, 06:01 PM
I have the book,I had read it years ago and recently bought it again used off Amazon.

Wayne Smith
04-02-2017, 07:31 PM
If you have a library card there is such a thing as an interlibrary loan. If it is available in another library your librarian will get it sent to the library for you to pick up. Done it many times.

flyer1
04-02-2017, 07:48 PM
If you have a library card there is such a thing as an interlibrary loan. If it is available in another library your librarian will get it sent to the library for you to pick up. Done it many times.

Thanks. I did not know about that. The PDF that was found for me, is part of the book. The rest is in russian. I have a small,very library in Granbury. I will go see them. Otherwise I will need my wife read the rest to me.

Mike

Ickisrulz
04-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks. I did not know about that. The PDF that was found for me, is part of the book. The rest is in russian. I have a small,very library in Granbury. I will go see them. Otherwise I will need my wife read the rest to me.

Mike

I am pretty sure the whole book is there. I am seeing all 220+ pages in English. At first Russian came up for me, but then English for whatever reason.

flyer1
04-02-2017, 08:11 PM
I am pretty sure the whole book is there. I am seeing all 220+ pages in English. At first Russian came up for me, but then English for whatever reason.

I am showing 8 chapters., no pages. It might be because I am on a tablet. I will check with the computer.

Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Ickisrulz
04-02-2017, 08:21 PM
I am showing 8 chapters., no pages. It might be because I am on a tablet. I will check with the computer.

Thank you for pointing that out to me.

According to Amazon, there are 222 pages in the book. The linked book has 213 pages and they are shown in the text in brackets. It looks to me like there are only 8 chapters in the book. The linked book concludes with:

"Viktor, I think you're finally free. Let's take the day off and go fly."

As Belenko climbed up over the Potomac estuary and soared above the Chesapeake Bay, he felt, he knew Gregg was right.

It looks like a suitable way to end a book. I could be wrong though.

flyer1
04-02-2017, 08:31 PM
According to Amazon, there are 222 pages in the book. The linked book has 213 pages and they are shown in the text in brackets. It looks to me like there are only 8 chapters in the book. The linked book concludes with:

"Viktor, I think you're finally free. Let's take the day off and go fly."

As Belenko climbed up over the Potomac estuary and soared above the Chesapeake Bay, he felt, he knew Gregg was right.

It looks like a suitable way to end a book. I could be wrong though.

Wow, you are fantastic. Thank you very much. It is all on my tablet. You saved me trip into town. I will be going to the library to get a card and check into the interlibrary loans.

Wayne Smith
04-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Interlibrary loans, for an academic, are essential even today. There is nothing like the paper book and, especially articles, are faxed or sent electronically and you get your own copy to mark up.

Ickisrulz
04-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Interlibrary loans, for an academic, are essential even today. There is nothing like the paper book and, especially articles, are faxed or sent electronically and you get your own copy to mark up.

I like paper books, but can easily see how they are going to become obsolete, especially for academics.

Depending on the program, you can have several books open at once, cross reference articles, make all the marks you want, print as needed and have the book read to you.

You can receive the book without leaving home, it costs less to manufacture (should cost less to buy), takes up no space and suffers no wear.

popper
04-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Very good read. Thanks.

Wayne Smith
04-04-2017, 07:45 AM
I like paper books, but can easily see how they are going to become obsolete, especially for academics.

Depending on the program, you can have several books open at once, cross reference articles, make all the marks you want, print as needed and have the book read to you.

You can receive the book without leaving home, it costs less to manufacture (should cost less to buy), takes up no space and suffers no wear.
I would have thought so, too, but our son, finishing a PhD in Comparative Ethics, still wants paper books. He does like the Chinese language program on his phone, though - cause it speaks to him in Chinese.

flyer1
04-04-2017, 10:27 AM
I have only read one e-book. I have started on my second. They have a place. Yesterday I had to take my duaghter to the Dr. Was waiting nearly an hour to be seen. I pulled out my cell phone and started reading. That was kinda neat. If i am reading a book for pleasure this is great but to study, I would prefer a book, book.

Mike

10-x
04-04-2017, 09:01 PM
First Mig 21 to the US? May have the book but gave most of my library to my Son.

fiberoptik
04-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Pretty sure I have it. Need 2 [emoji102] look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyer1
04-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Recluse
04-05-2017, 01:09 AM
First Mig 21 to the US? May have the book but gave most of my library to my Son.

MiG-25 Foxbat. It was the Soviets uber-secret interceptor at the time. The book (MiG Pilot. The Escape of Lt. Viktor Belenko) is a FANTASTIC read. I bought it not longer after I got out of the Air Force and was in college at Texas Tech sometime in the mid-80's. I still have my original paperback and make a point to read it once every few years to remind myself how good we have it here in America.

:coffee:

Ballistics in Scotland
04-05-2017, 06:16 AM
It sounds like the OP got all he need early on, but just for future reference here is what my life support system turned up:

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=MIG+pilot&lang=en&new=1&used=1&ebooks=1&destination=gb&currency=GBP&binding=*&isbn=&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=&min_year=&max_year=&mode=advanced&st=sr&ac=qr

10-x
04-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Meant to type 25. Clint Eastwood movie too?

Ballistics in Scotland
04-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Meant to type 25. Clint Eastwood movie too?

That was the fictional Mig 31, in the movie based on the Craig Thomas novel. It featured thought control, from the electrical activity in the brain. It is an interesting idea, probably feasible in some applications. But not, I think, this one. Churchill had a great fear of standing on a railway platform as a fast train went by, and I don't think anybody would want to take chances on a pilot's ability to stop himself thinking about things.

trooperdan
04-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Is Belenko still alive? Anyone have in info on his later life?

10-x
04-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Wasnt the Eastwood movie really about the 25? What was the date(s).

Recluse
04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Is Belenko still alive? Anyone have in info on his later life?

From news reports, stories and word in the military community that I occasionally pick up on, Belenko is "retired" now. After his extensive debriefing by CIA, DIA and DoD, he became a consultant for several defense industry companies involved in aviation/avionics. But during that time, he gave a number of speeches and talks to various groups ranging from college students to rotary clubs to boards of directors. His fascination with America was in our grocery stores and super-abundance of food. I read a paper he published in which he sampled canned cat food on crackers early on in his new life in America because his ability to read English was still poor. He saw pictures of chicken and tuna in sauce on the can and mistook them for human food. He marveled at how tasty they were and when told they were for cats, he quipped that "even Americans' pets eat better than Russian workers."

Fascinating man--I'd love to have dinner with him, so long as cat food wasn't on the menu. :)

Wasnt the Eastwood movie really about the 25? What was the date(s).

Might've been an inspiration, but the plot for Firefox versus actual events for Belenko's escape are very different and totally non-related.

In the Eastwood movie, he has to be covertly inserted into Russia, he suffers from PTSD and he is pursued by Soviet pilots upon fleeing in the stolen MiG-31. None of that applied to Belenko.

:coffee:

10-x
04-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Been years since Ive watched it, seemed to be about the same time. Hollywood could mess up an iron ball.