PDA

View Full Version : Good day in the casting room before a knee replacement

David2011
04-02-2017, 04:04 PM
For the first time in a good while I got to enjoy my casting and reloading room. Been busting tail lately getting things done that I won't be able to do for a while after getting a new knee tomorrow and it hasn't left much time for recreational activities. SWMBO pretty much has left me to do as I wished this weekend and I'm very grateful for that. Made some boolits for a friend last night with a mold I have come to loathe, a Lee 358-158 6 cavity. He can barely lift a mold these days so I make a batch and give them to him from time to time. I was running about a 2 out of 3 rejection rate but finally got enough done to hold him for a couple of months. I'll post something about that later in the casting section.

After that I got out an old Lyman 9mm truncated cone mold and thanks to preheating on the hot plate had just 4 rejects (the first 2 pours) out of over 250 boolits. This morning I sized and lubed the .358s and learned that my .355 die had been opened up to .402 and not re-marked. I don't shoot much 9mm and had never needed the .355 die. This morning I alloyed up some metal for my .45 Colt and cast some RCBS 250 FN. The Lyman and RCBS molds were such a joy to use after that Lee! That RCBS drops boolits just by opening it smartly. It works so well that it makes a bunch in a hurry even though it's only a 2 cavity mold. I'll load up some and plink at the range as soon as rehabilitation permits. I love shooting my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. It's among my favorite handguns.

It was a very soothing and relaxing way to spend the morning before heading off to the hospital in Lubbock. Not sure if I'll be able to get online from the hospital. Some of the facilities in Lubbock block this social media site as a weapons site. I complained but they didn't bother to extend the courtesy of a response. I'll be back as soon as I can. The iPhone may have to do for a few days.

David

Reddirt62
04-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Blessings tomorrow!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

XDROB
04-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Funny you say that about hospitals or rehab places. I was in rehab for surgery on foot. Couldn't get out to these forums until I got moved to a room with a window. Turned off WiFi and went pure data. Was able to get on after that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

edler7
04-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Glad you got a weekend to decompress a little and do what you want.

Wishing you the best of outcomes on your surgery tomorrow.

shoot-n-lead
04-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Glad you got to heat the pot up.

Best wishes for tomorrow and your recovery.

Prayer sent.

Taylor
04-02-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm scheduled for one on the 16th.So keep us posted on how it's going.I made sure all my outdoor equipment is tuned and running good.Garden tilled,grass cut and weed eated.2 trailer loads of debris to haul to the dump.I think I'm ready.Every arthritic joint hurts like crazy right now.Need meds.

shoot-n-lead
04-02-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm scheduled for one on the 16th.So keep us posted on how it's going.I made sure all my outdoor equipment is tuned and running good.Garden tilled,grass cut and weed eated.2 trailer loads of debris to haul to the dump.I think I'm ready.Every arthritic joint hurts like crazy right now.Need meds.

Best of luck with yours and prayer sent for you, as well.

Hawks Feather
04-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Good luck with the knee replacement tomorrow. Mine was done 13 months ago. My only advice is to do as much as you can tolerate when it comes to the rehab.

Randy Bohannon
04-02-2017, 06:17 PM
7 knee surgeries,I am a professional at rehab now,TKR two years ago. P.T., pain meds. when you think you have done enough do more P.T. Cryo cuff is your friend.
One of the best exercises ever given to me from a Physical Therapist was to sit on the edge of the bed with your feet off the ground.Pretend there's a spot on the floor that needs polishing,going slow swing your leg back and forth.Then switch to doing figure eights, do these several times a day.It is a excellent warm up before doing the hard stuff.

David2011
04-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to the day it doesn't hurt again. Heading to Lubbock now, will check back in as I can.

David

308Jeff
04-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Best of luck to ya!

leeggen
04-02-2017, 11:11 PM
When I had my knee replaced it hurt bad at first then down to acking. After a year it just quit hurting at all, even if the weather changes. Now my shoulder is something else. Good luck and do the rehab as dr/tharepist recommends.
CD

Bzcraig
04-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Great day and will pray for a completely successful surgery and speedy recovery!

mozeppa
04-02-2017, 11:25 PM
got mine 11-11-16

DO THE THERAPY....I'LL HURT LIKE HELL , BUT DO IT!

MaLar
04-02-2017, 11:53 PM
My wife had BOTH done last Oct. She was driving within a month and going to work.
She started doing exercises before the surgery. Didn't heart that she is one tough old broad! Said with respect.

Col4570
04-03-2017, 02:32 AM
I had both done in 2005,six months between opps,it made a new man of me.I am still enjoying the lack of pain.I can recommend the opp to any who are doubtful.Good luck with yours,persevere with the discomfort for a while a light is at the end of the tunnel.Use an Ice pack or a pack of Frozen Peas to ease the initial pain and you will be pleased.I was out Clay Shooting Yesterday aged 80.

David2011
04-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Checking in at the hospital in 45 minutes after an amazingly good night's sleep. Gentlemen, your support and encouragement means so much to me! Thank you all.

David

lightman
04-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Glad you had an enjoyable weekend. Hoping surgery goes well for you. I have had several friends that have this done and all of them are glad that did. A Brother-inlaw had both done at the same time. Another friend had both done, one after another. He says to really push the rehab early on while still on the pain meds. Best Wishes!

375supermag
04-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Good luck with your surgery.
Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

bedbugbilly
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Prayers your way and hoping that your surgery went well and you will soon be on the mend. I used to have an older fellow working for me who had both of his knees replaced at the age of 80 - and believe it or not - he had them both done at the same time! He was a very active fellow and he wanted it over with so it wouldn't "hold him back".

Work at the rehab and you will soon be back to snuff and active again - and feeling much better I'm sure. It sounds like you had a nice relaxing time doing the casting - now relax and heal and do what they tell you. Best of luck and keep us all posted on your progress please. Best wishes.

David2011
04-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Good news so far guys. I woke up lucid and with little pain. The nurse assures me the pain will come tomorrow but the scariest parts are behind me. Surgery was late in the day so they haven't gotten me out of bed yet. So far it isn't bad at all but tomorrow I expect much more pain when the nerve lock wears off.

David

Col4570
04-04-2017, 06:46 AM
Yes uncomfortable at the start but persevere and move about as much as it will allow you.Your Knee needs to build up tissue and exercise is the best medicine.Do,nt forget that Ice packs can ease the pain and swelling.A good tip is to keep the bed covers off the Knee.I cut the ends out of a cardboard box and lay the sheets over it.

David2011
04-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the tip, Col4570. The staples and above the knee where they put the tourniquet are the most painful areas for now but the meds are doing an amazing job. A tent from a box sounds like the ticket. Got 2 spots in the incision that are bleeding a little so they're putting an immobilizer on the leg, probably just for today. I'm just not in the kind of pain I feared and anticipated. Thank you God for that! Doing everything the docs say and looking forward to returning to a normal life soon.

barrabruce
04-04-2017, 09:44 AM
I ended up with a blood clot in each lung after day 2.
So I'm the 1 in 10,000.
The blood thinners they put me on made made my leg bleed out like a sausage for quite a while.
That and the scar tissue makes it longer to recover but after 3 mths they gave me a manual manipulation and stretched it for me anyway.

I have an ice water pump machine which I found life saving for me.

They left bits of their previous art work attempts around there as well as a some bone chips just to keep me honest.

Believe me when I say things are a lot better than 35 years ago.

At 55 I waited 20 years or more to get it done maybe I shouldn't have.

All in all ; though it nearly killed me ,and things didn't go to plan.
I'd do it all again.
Worked out well in the end.

No dramas

10-x
04-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Sounds like all will be fine, listen to the Md and do PT. Saw Hip surgeon today for 1 year check up. Ended up talking more about craft beer, class 3 weapons and restored WWII vehicles. LOL ..... Told him I could be a weatherman now as hip tells me when its going to rain or get cooler..... Friend that had both knees done 5 years ago is the same way regarding weather. Good luck.

winelover
04-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Get use to sleeping on your back, for quite a while. I had to learn that position, when I had both done, four months apart. Just celebrated the one year anniversary of the most recent replacement. Still have some minor discomfort, mostly fatigue, late in the evenings. Saw bones has me back in therapy.

Good luck with your adventure.......

Winelover

David2011
04-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Got back home yesterday afternoon, just about 48 hours after they closed me up. The skin above the knee is pretty tight from swelling but I'm following the exercise regimen trying to get the knee to bend. It's probably up to 15 degrees of bend so far. Not great but with the amount of swelling it's understandable and each PT session shows a little improvement. This ain't for sissies! Nobody told me about the tourniquet above the knee. That did more damage, from what i feel right now, than the actual replacement. Seems like the skinny people with little mass to their legs weren't bothered much by the tourniquet but I've always had heavy muscular legs and was the most incapacitated in my hospital PT classes.

barrabruce
04-07-2017, 12:48 AM
Got back home yesterday afternoon, just about 48 hours after they closed me up. . It's probably up to 15 degrees of bend so far.
This ain't for sissies!

You are going all right.
Its amazing how good those nerve blocks work.

The pain will settle down to a low scream soon.
I found lots of profanity felt appropriate ...but I'm not sure it actually helped any. [smilie=1:

An upturned bucket or something of the right height to get comfortable on the loo will be a life saver.

I quickly learned to love prunes and things like movicol real quick.

Concrete bricks coming out diagonally with sharp edges are no fun at all.

Take care
If you aren't broken down "crying like a little girl" after your exercise meds wear off and wanting "world peace"...then you ain't trying hard enough. :roll: apparently

shoot-n-lead
04-07-2017, 01:19 AM
Sounds like you are doing well. Nice to hear your good attitude and work ethic.

GOD bless with a speedy recovery.

Prayer sent.

Col4570
04-07-2017, 03:19 AM
Do,nt forget the Ice Packs (or Frozen Peas)they go a long way to ease the pain.When the heat and swelling subsides there will be less pressure on the Knee and less pain.Hang in there I have been where you are,start looking forwards to a more comfortable future.

David2011
04-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Yeah, ice packs are my new best friend. I'm seeing improvement with every exercise session.

David2011
04-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Update for those anticipating knee replacement. I've been out of surgery for about 4 days, 6 hours. The pain is surprisingly low. I'm doing the prescribed in home therapy faithfully. I've had 2 hydrocodone 7.5 mg today, the most recent a full 6 hours ago and no pain when at rest. The knee will bend about 40-45 degrees which is a huge improvement over yesterday. I was able to do my heel slides without assistance for the first time today, about 1-1/2 hours after the last pain pill. Yesterday I needed help to get the knee to raise at all. I'm very pleased with the progress. I had feared agonizing pain for a week or more. Who know, though, tomorrow may not be as good. On the bright side a friend who's a P.A. says the third day is usually the worst after orthopedic surgery. Been getting up without assistance and cruising around the house with a walker at will. I AM moving cautiously when getting out go the recliner!

David

mozeppa
04-08-2017, 04:22 PM
stay on the heel slides .....i want you to have 120 degrees mobility in 3 weeks!..... you got that!

ice packs are your friend!

David2011
04-08-2017, 05:44 PM
ICE PACKS! They've not just for bourbon and Scotch any more!

Randy Bohannon
04-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Surprised the Dr. didn't get you one of the Cryo cuffs that circulates ice water in a water jacket. I had 5 of them, the first couple of them were a modified water jug and elevated. After that they were more sophisticated with an aquarium pump, the last two had temp settings and bigger ice chest.
https://www.sourceortho.net/cryo-cuff-ic-motorized-cooler/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Source%20%7C%20Primary&utm_term=1101104007430&utm_content=Main

David2011
04-08-2017, 10:37 PM
The Cryo cuff is slick. I might have to get one anyway. Appreciate you letting me know about them. The doc says to limit ice to 4, 20 minute applications daily.

David2011
04-09-2017, 08:29 PM
I'm amazed how little pain there is considering 6 days ago parts of my femur and tibia were sawn off. Something to help sleep and prior to exercise is all I need at this point. Ice four times a day, completely covering the surgical area is the greatest med. At rest it's no more painful than the knee was prior to replacement.

Col4570
04-10-2017, 03:12 AM
When its all over and you are like a Spring Chicken all you will see is a thin silver line where they worked on you.I remember venturing out further and further,testing the Knees to see what I was capable of enduring and at the same time building up the tissue around the repair.Enjoy your pain free future.

Handloader109
04-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Continued good luck! Please keep up your status reports. My wife needs both done and I'd like to hear the blow by blow progress. We have friends of the family that is about 80 that had one done, unfortunately, infection and ended up in surgery twice, but now properly recovering.

David2011
04-11-2017, 12:20 AM
The nerve block is wearing off so at times the pain is more pronounced than it has been. It's still very manageable with hydrocodone. I'm not a fan of medications but I'm not going to be stupid. I'm experiencing an unexpected problem with flexibility. I was told post-op that they did more clean up on me than usual and the tourniquet was on for longer than most. I also had some blood leakage in the incision so was put in an immobilizing splint for 24 hours starting the morning after surgery so between the two I was not nearly as flexible as the others operated on the same day as me. We had group P.T. classes and it was obvious; the therapist had me doing exercises for reduced flexibility. The thigh muscles are stiff, bruised and swollen still but the skin of the thigh is no longer stretched tight so it is getting better. Some patients haf 90 degree flexibility on check out day but mine was only 10-15 degrees. I can force about 40 degrees today. I'm doing the exercises faithfully but the swelling is limiting the range of motion. My first commercial P.T. Is tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

David

Col4570
04-11-2017, 01:51 AM
Your flexibility is only down to swelling and will improve as the pressure decreases.

edler7
04-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep it up and continue your PT.

Hawks Feather
04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up with the exercises and don't be afraid to take a pain killer when it starts to get painful. While you don't want to pop them like candy it is easier to control the pain down as it starts than to get it under control when it is peaking. I used some Tylenol and similar over the counter pain killers unless things really got out of hand. For the first couple of weeks I did use the high strength meds before heading to physical therapy.

David2011
04-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Had the first professional P.T. today. The President of the local gun club was there getting therapy for kis knee surgery as well so we got to visit for a while. We're both NM Hunter Ed instructors as well. Talked with the therapist about his .25-'06 while working on the leg. He's considering a rebarrel to .30-'06 for better ammo availability. The whole time we're making the knee bend more. Yes, it hurt some but it isn't excruciating. I went in with 45 degree flexion and at the end of the session could bend over 80 degrees. I was pretty well used up at the end of the session but a hour and a half later felt great. A good day like that sure helps the spirit.

David

David2011
04-13-2017, 10:28 PM
More professional P.T. today. Some pain as expected but overall it was a good experience. there's a little more flexibility in the knee and it was much easier getting in/out of the SUV compared to 2 days ago.

David2011
04-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Wow, already 6 days since my last post and 16 days out of surgery. Time has flown. It's surprising to me, this being my first surgery since my tonsils were removed at the age of 4, how busy recovery keeps me. As many of you have promised, therapy and exercise are enough to make a grown man cry like a little girl. The rest of the time pain is not bad at all until time to sleep. It doesn't take much to interfere with sleep. I had my first follow-up visit with the surgeon yesterday. He wanted me to have more flex in the knee but acknowledged that my surgery took more time than most and caused some extra trauma in the thigh just above the knee. This morning I had a challenging PT session but this afternoon walking to the shop I noticed my leg bending much more than it has been. I'm getting around with just a cane most of the time now. The parking lot at the therapy place is pretty rough so I use a walker there just to avoid tripping and falling. I'm staying on the meds and home exercise and make measurable progress daily. People that have been where I am now say that it should only get better from here. I'm starting to be able to lift my surgery leg off of a horizontal surface. After surgery the muscles needed to lift my leg had no strength at all. Getting in and out of SWMBO's SUV is getting much easier.

lightman
04-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Glad you're doing so well. Please keep the progress reports coming. Wishing you the best!

Boaz
04-20-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm glad to hear your doing so well ! Going to try and get a replacement soon and looking forward to it . Keep it up !

opos
04-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Wow, already 6 days since my last post and 16 days out of surgery. Time has flown. It's surprising to me, this being my first surgery since my tonsils were removed at the age of 4, how busy recovery keeps me. As many of you have promised, therapy and exercise are enough to make a grown man cry like a little girl. The rest of the time pain is not bad at all until time to sleep. It doesn't take much to interfere with sleep. I had my first follow-up visit with the surgeon yesterday. He wanted me to have more flex in the knee but acknowledged that my surgery took more time than most and caused some extra trauma in the thigh just above the knee. This morning I had a challenging PT session but this afternoon walking to the shop I noticed my leg bending much more than it has been. I'm getting around with just a cane most of the time now. The parking lot at the therapy place is pretty rough so I use a walker there just to avoid tripping and falling. I'm staying on the meds and home exercise and make measurable progress daily. People that have been where I am now say that it should only get better from here. I'm starting to be able to lift my surgery leg off of a horizontal surface. After surgery the muscles needed to lift my leg had no strength at all. Getting in and out of SWMBO's SUV is getting much easier.

I had mine done about 11 years ago and I was one of the "quick recovery" cases...I'd had knee surgery back in '72 (before replacements) and the surgery they did required a boat load of PT and follow up exercise..so I was not afraid to push a bit after the replacement...All that said I tossed the walker and cane after a reasonable amount of time and the doc said he wanted me back on the cane.

I couldn't understand using something I didn't need until he told me it was a deterrent to people walking into me or kids running into me in a crowd...he said while I was walking great I was still a bit subject to injury with the "right" hit to the knee...so I carried the cane for about another month or so...my "self protection"...Good luck...best decision I ever made.

ACrowe25
04-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Glad to hear things are going well... here's to a speedy recovery!

mozeppa
04-21-2017, 08:33 PM
shot 88 at a unknown to me golf course on my 4 month old knee!

on 4-19-2017:D

white eagle
04-21-2017, 08:44 PM
had both done about a year ago 3 mths apart
not sure I would recommend it
more pain now than before
been a year for one and coming up on a year on the other
going up and down stairs serious pain have to rest for days after hunting
or doing any daily outdoor chores
hope you do better they say everyone is different good luck

David2011
04-21-2017, 08:55 PM
You that have been there have all been nothing but supportive and encouraging and I greatly appreciate the support. To those contemplating a knee replacement, rehab maybe challenging. Mine certainly is but I see improvement on a daily basis. I'm not far enough along to tell anyone how much better I am yet but I can get in and out of the car (as a passenger), bed and am slowly becoming less dependent on SWMBO for every little thing. The pain gets better every day.

Randy Bohannon
04-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Stiffness will last 10-12 months then you will forget how long it was.My Dr. said I was one of his ideal Pt.'s and was walking with nothing at 10 days and 130 deg. extension and flexion,more important to get your leg straight.I worked hard to get there and did P.T exercises 7-10 times a day. I've been accused of being an "overachiever" which has never hurt me.

David2011
04-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Progress has been steady buy not stellar. Surgery was 3 weeks ago today. Extension measured zero degrees today for the first time (yea!) and flexion is about 100 degrees. There is still some swelling in the thigh that is restricting more movement. Pain is substantial during and after PT but minor the rest of the time. I'm walking with a cane if going very far but unaided around the house and walking just to be walking about 1/5 mile daily. That will increase a lot in the coming days.

Col4570
04-24-2017, 06:37 PM
That's it just keep exercising by increasing your distance walked.It is early days yet,your knee will build up tissue to replace the original.Above all do not follow the Couch Potato rout,it will restrict your recovery.

David2011
04-25-2017, 09:47 PM
I have probably made 10 round trips to the shop and casting bench today. Mostly just to be walking. Does that count?

Handloader109
04-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Only if it is more than 20feet:). Great to see it is working out for you keep chugging away!

David2011
05-02-2017, 04:29 PM
From the back door to the reloading room is about 130'. At first it was a hard trip wih a walker. Now I take a cane or walking stick just in case of a stumble. The thought of tripping and bending the surgery knee too far or falling on it is still pretty scary.

Surgery was four weeks ago yesterday. I've been told of knee replacement patients playing golf two weeks after surgery. Unfortunately my recovery is not going that fast. Recovery is a real job. I might be repeating myself on that point. The PT is happy with my progress. He's been a certified physical therapist for 14 years so he at least has a good background for expectations. Certain aspects of my healing are still lagging due to the clamping that was done above my knee. That area is about 8" above the top of the incision. Those muscles are taking a long time to recover from the mashing they received during surgery. Flexibility is returning, between 100-110 degrees and getting a little better every day. Full extension is easy now. Although there is still pain it is different from the pre-op pain. Some of the inflammation related pain called a "Baker's cyst" is completely gone. That was a terrible ache behind the joint in the soft tissue and I'm relieved that it's gone. I also has spontaneous pain that would shoot down the lower leg to the ankle for no obvious reason. That is also gone. Scar tissue is slowly tearing down as I work out. That happens in tiny amounts and is no worse than an ant bite with no lingering pain. It's kind of a relief because every time it happens I know I've gained a tiny bit more flexibility. Although I feel much better I still have to take some pain medication but far less than what I was taking even a week ago. I'm still taking a full dose prior to PT and bedtime. The biggest adjustment right now is for endurance. I'm not nearly as strong as I feel like I am and tire quickly when I try to do anything.

Fortunately, I can sit to cast and size and can quit when the body says to. Rolling around in an office chair gives the knee a good workout. Just got a new batch of RandyRat's TAC X so by the time I feel like having range time there will be a good inventory of boolits to load.

Just taking it day by day!
David

opos
05-02-2017, 06:37 PM
From the back door to the reloading room is about 130'. At first it was a hard trip wih a walker. Now I take a cane or walking stick just in case of a stumble. The thought of tripping and bending the surgery knee too far or falling on it is still pretty scary.

Surgery was four weeks ago yesterday. I've been told of knee replacement patients playing golf two weeks after surgery. Unfortunately my recovery is not going that fast. Recovery is a real job. I might be repeating myself on that point. The PT is happy with my progress. He's been a certified physical therapist for 14 years so he at least has a good background for expectations. Certain aspects of my healing are still lagging due to the clamping that was done above my knee. That area is about 8" above the top of the incision. Those muscles are taking a long time to recover from the mashing they received during surgery. Flexibility is returning, between 100-110 degrees and getting a little better every day. Full extension is easy now. Although there is still pain it is different from the pre-op pain. Some of the inflammation related pain called a "Baker's cyst" is completely gone. That was a terrible ache behind the joint in the soft tissue and I'm relieved that it's gone. I also has spontaneous pain that would shoot down the lower leg to the ankle for no obvious reason. That is also gone. Scar tissue is slowly tearing down as I work out. That happens in tiny amounts and is no worse than an ant bite with no lingering pain. It's kind of a relief because every time it happens I know I've gained a tiny bit more flexibility. Although I feel much better I still have to take some pain medication but far less than what I was taking even a week ago. I'm still taking a full dose prior to PT and bedtime. The biggest adjustment right now is for endurance. I'm not nearly as strong as I feel like I am and tire quickly when I try to do anything.

Fortunately, I can sit to cast and size and can quit when the body says to. Rolling around in an office chair gives the knee a good workout. Just got a new batch of RandyRat's TAC X so by the time I feel like having range time there will be a good inventory of boolits to load.

Just taking it day by day!
David

Those "jolts" on occasion are scary but just part of the "waking up" process for nerves and muscles..
One thought...when I had mine done I had decent bending at about a month (it's now way past 90 degrees..but that's a long time ago..11 years) ... .my big "issue" with the doc and the PT were not to push the extension too hard....I got to the point I could "hyper extend" the knee where when laying down I could actually get the knee joint to sort of go past straight. The doc said absolutly not to work the knee in that exercise at all..he said that can be a lot worse than having a little stiffness and keeping a small bend..he said that the knee could become unstable if pushed past straight (0 degrees) so I eased up...today I can't "hyper extend" the leg but it will go straight and it's strong and straight...like I said the bending slowly came past 90 degrees...got no problem with up or down stairs...ps..knock on wood...I've never fallen..they said I probably would and I've sort of tripped a few times early on but never fell...hope I don't...I bang it on the desk and things now and then and it hurts like the devil but little to no "padding".

best of wishes.

David2011
05-04-2017, 12:39 AM
Opos,

Thanks for the hyperextension advice. It took about 3 weeks for me to be able to straighten the knee. The PT worked with it today, just checking it out. So far it doesn't try to go past zero. I went several years without being able to go any more straight than 7 degrees so I'm happy to be able to straighten it. At 4-1/2 weeks I have 100-105 degrees flexion and can see the strength increase with every PT session. I exercise at home as well but it's easier to see the changes an good equipment.

The PT wore me out today so I napped instead of going to "The Room" and at least daydreaming. Maybe tomorrow. I would like to get strong enough to render some WW to ingots before the doc says I can return to work but right now I'm only good for 2-3 hours of activity including PT per day. I didn't realize how much energy would be consumed by the healing process. I'm still constantly tired.

David

Boz330
05-04-2017, 05:17 PM
In talking to other folks who had knee replacements it is obvious that everyone is different. I was extremely lucky with mine. PT went very well and I worked it hard on my own. I was deer hunting (carefully) 3 weeks after the first one. Had the second done 2 1/2 months after the first. That one was a little more hassle but also went well just a little slower recovery. It has been a little over 3 years and I don't even think about the fact that I have replacement knees anymore. The only problem is kneeling. I can get down on the right one with no pain but the left hurts unless it is on a foam pad and I can't stay down very long.
Good luck with your recovery.

Bob

David2011
05-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks Bob,

I've had the same conclusion from talking with friends, other patients and the responses here. I can imagine that the deer hunting was done very gingerly. I'm Looking forward to being where you are. There have been almost 2000 views on this thread as of today. SWMBO says that's indicative of how many of us are falling apart.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial I rubbed a little Blue Emu on the knee last night. Figured it was worth a try. Prior to surgery it did nothing; there was bone on bone contact and a cream wasn't going to help much. Last night the effect was amazing. It felt a little better in minutes and I had the best night of sleep since surgery.

David

Boz330
05-06-2017, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=David2011;4037961]Thanks Bob,

I've had the same conclusion from talking with friends, other patients and the responses here. I can imagine that the deer hunting was done very gingerly. I'm Looking forward to being where you are. There have been almost 2000 views on this thread as of today. SWMBO says that's indicative of how many of us are falling apart.

Comes from the fact that we made it this far. Beats hell out of having dirt thrown in your face. Unfortunately way too many of my friends haven't made it this far. I'm sure they would take the replacement parts over the alternatives.
My dad passed at 52 years from heart problems. Had he been around longer, by-pass surgery or some of the other alternatives would have extended his life considerably. Even knee replacement has come a long way in just the last 10 years. We live in amazing times and it is only going to get better, unless the government screws it up.
Hang in there.

Bob

David2011
05-13-2017, 10:17 PM
The recovery is still coming along. I see increased flexibility and strength every time I go to therapy. I work out at home as well; it's just harder to measure the improvement at home. Consumption of pain meds is way down and flexibility is still getting better. The trauma to my thigh above the knee has pretty much healed and no longer inhibits my movement and therapy. It took over 5 weeks to get over the compression that was applied to the mid-thigh area. I walk around without a cane most of the time now but still use one in public for my own protection and when the knee feels stiffer than usual. Next Tuesday I go for a 6 week checkup and talk to the doctor about going back to work. The knee is still "waking up" from surgery and I get new sensations all the time. I feel scar tissue let go frequently, always a good thing even if it does sting for a second. I was hoping that PT would be less uncomfortable by now but the therapist makes wure that isn't the case. The better I get the harder he loads me up. It feels like I'm putting out the same kind of effort as an athlete in training. I know I'm not but when he decides to bump me from 20 to 35 reps of an exercise, I feel it! I'm still having trouble with sitting in fixed situations for extended periods. We had dinner with friends at a restaurant last night and I got to a point where I just couldn't sit in the hard wooden chair any longer but standing back up again was pretty hard, too, but better after being on my feet for a minute or two. The progress is very welcome and feels great.

David

lightman
05-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Glad you are progressing as well as you are. Everyone that I know personally that has had that surgery is glad that they did it. I'm sure its not easy, just take your time and do as they tell ya.

David2011
05-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Reading through "Our Town" this morning makes me realize how minor my knee replacement is. I'm old enough to remember the first moon landing and this has been my first significant medical experience so it was kind of traumatic to me. So many are having really serious health issues. I was encouraged by a few to continue to chronicle my experience as they were about to have the same procedure but I don't want to take anything away from those that are truly sick.

I'm leaving to see the surgeon for my 6 week checkup today and will post the results. I appreciate all of the views, comments and support but there are people among us that really need our prayers. Please keep an eye on them.

David

David2011
05-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Had a good report from the doctor today. He was very pleased with my progress. Flexion is 115 degrees and he said it will probably continue to increase for a couple of months. Got to get off of prescription pain meds now. Back to PT again tomorrow morning to work on that.

If you are contemplating knee surgery I can tell you that I had no idea what kind of pain to expect going into this. One of the doctor's primary focuses from the time I woke up after surgery was pain control. The pain control in the hospital was nothing short of amazing. The pain has been controlled without me feeling doped up all the time. I have been tired and have taken an extraordinary number of naps but have also learned how much energy healing requires. The knee is still stiff and sluggish but more flexible than it was prior to surgery. I have no doubt that down the road I will be better off.

winelover
05-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Pain is subjective and everyone handles it differently. I averaged 14 pain pills per knee replacement. In fact, I never filled the script the doctor gave me, from the second procedure. Still had leftovers from the first, that weren't expired. I only took them prior to bedtime, so I could be a little more comfortable, sleeping. I didn't care to be "stopped up", necessitating a "Movantek Moment". YMMV.

Winelover

David2011
06-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Winelover,

I am envious of your pain management. I also understand not wanting to be stopped up. I'm down to prescription meds just to sleep more easily now; just ibuprofen during the day.

I submitted a return to work request about a week ago. Nothing moves quickly in a large company. I expect to be released for work within the next few days. Flexion range is from zero, fully straightened out to 120 degrees now. I really had to work at straightening the leg out completely. It hadn't been fully straight for 5 years. Doc said it should continue to get better, increasing the bend, for a couple more months. There is still some residual healing pain but the ibuprofen controls it unless I over-do activity. Healing takes more energy than I imagined, too. I did not expect to feel tired for so long but I have also tried to keep my activity level up to the limit of my tolerance and endurance. Walking on rough ground is still very tiring. All I have to do to find rough ground is walk out behind my workshop. It's still unimproved New Mexico with caliche rocks everywhere. If I stand too long the knee starts hurting. If I sit too long it hurts. Keeps me active. I spent about 2 hours in the shop last night installing a new GI front sight on on a new barrel and that was all I wanted to spend on my feet. (Installing a taper pinned sight is a lot of work, BTW, to get it right.) I had done a little running around earlier in the day and it all adds up.

Friends that have been through this say that after a while they forget all about the replacement. I'm looking forward to when that day arrives. I'm looking forward to getting back to work and returning to a normal routine.