PDA

View Full Version : Range find.

JeffinNZ
07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
So I am 'dumpster diving' at the range looking for CCI .22mag/.17HMR boxes for storing cast bullets and any brass that's been discarded and I find this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Rangefind.jpg

Looks like a piece of rifle shotgun barrel. How or what happened does not bare thinking about.

Boz330
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Rut Ro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the center, it kind of looks bulged like maybe that was where the obstruction was. If he was hurt you probably would have heard about it. I'll bet he was surprized when that happened and then pi$$ed after that. Then if it was me I would have gone and got pi$$ed.:drinks:

Bob

ihmsakiwi
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Rut Ro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the center, it kind of looks bulged like maybe that was where the obstruction was. If he was hurt you probably would have heard about it. I'll bet he was surprized when that happened and then pi$$ed after that. Then if it was me I would have gone and got pi$$ed.:drinks:

Bob

Hi Bob, Yes like anywhere in N.Z. the press would have been all over it if injuries were involved. One of my mates shot up his chrongraphg screen and range box by not allowing for the height difference from the muzzle of his revolver and his scope and ended up with lead particles in his face and chest. Nothing serious just superficial. Local medical center insisted on reporting it as a shooting accident and all hell broke loose for a couple of weeks at our club as the local paper got into the act with the usual anti-gun crowd quite vocal.
I see you are a Kentuckian, I am in the area on business next week in Louisville Kentuck, and then Las Vegas and was hoping to find a shop with some cast reloading gear. Need gas checks and a couple of new moulds. Can you recommend any shops in the Louisville vicinity? Peter.

Nazgul
07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
ihmsakwi; I am over the state line in southern Indiana. The pickings are slim for a "full service" gunshop. I don't know of any place in the area that stocks molds or gas checks. There are some good gunshops, try Shooters Supply in Lyndon. Over the bridge is Kiesler's , exit #4 from 65 North, turn right then right again into the industrial park.

Unfortunately, neither carries casting supplies.

Enjoy your visit.

Don

KYCaster
07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Kiwi, the only place with any casting stuff in the Looavul area is Biff's Gun World on Dixie Hiway (US31W), about two miles south of I265. He stocks some Lee and Lyman moulds, Lyman reloading die sets and Lyman M dies. Most of it is out of sight in the stock room, so you have to ask.

If you get a chance to visit Biff's allow at least a couple of hours to browse. He's a collector of most anything you can imagine and lots of it is haphazardly strewn about his building with a few narrow paths for access. It's sometimes a little hard to start a conversation with Junie (Little Biff), the owner, but if you get him started it's harder to get him to stop.

A little further south on US44, just off Dixie Hiway is Knob Creek Range. Junie's son Kenny runs it and he has a pretty good stock of reloading components and quite a few milsurps, but nothing for casting.

If I can help you with anything, just ask.

Jerry

Boerrancher
07-12-2008, 12:43 AM
So I am 'dumpster diving' at the range looking for CCI .22mag/.17HMR boxes for storing cast bullets and any brass that's been discarded and I find this.

Ah, dumpster diving at the rang. One of my favorite past times. Often more fun than shooting. I know my 12 y/o son gets a kick out of it as well. He gets real excited when he finds a box of empty 300 win mags, or any other large rifle cases in any quantity.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Christian for Israel
07-12-2008, 01:24 AM
He gets real excited when he finds a box of empty 300 win mags, or any other large rifle cases in any quantity.

300 win mags are large? i found some .577/.450 cases once and a single 8-bore another time.

copdills
07-12-2008, 06:11 AM
I bet that was a shocker

MT Gianni
07-12-2008, 10:13 AM
A little further south on US44, just off Dixie Hiway is Knob Creek Range. Junie's son Kenny runs it and he has a pretty good stock of reloading components and quite a few milsurps, but nothing for casting.

If I can help you with anything, just ask.

Jerry

I was at Knob Creek in the spring of 07 and found a 356242 121 gr rm 9mm mold with the sticker price of $29.50. It came home with me though I already had one. There were a couple more at a little higher price and some gas checks in the back aisle of the shop. I couldn't think of the name of Biff's but did enjoy the place. Gianni

Boz330
07-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Bob, Yes like anywhere in N.Z. the press would have been all over it if injuries were involved. One of my mates shot up his chrongraphg screen and range box by not allowing for the height difference from the muzzle of his revolver and his scope and ended up with lead particles in his face and chest. Nothing serious just superficial. Local medical center insisted on reporting it as a shooting accident and all hell broke loose for a couple of weeks at our club as the local paper got into the act with the usual anti-gun crowd quite vocal.
I see you are a Kentuckian, I am in the area on business next week in Louisville Kentuck, and then Las Vegas and was hoping to find a shop with some cast reloading gear. Need gas checks and a couple of new moulds. Can you recommend any shops in the Louisville vicinity? Peter.

Peter,
Sorry I didn't catch your post till today. KYCaster probably has the best handle on that sort of thing, since he is in that business. To be honest I mostly get my stuff online and have it shipped in. There hasn't been anykind of selection of reloading supplies locally available for quite a few years. It takes a pretty big place to handle the large variety that is available anymore and most small gunshops can't stand to carry that much inventory. The small gunshop is an endangered species anymore.
I haven't been to Little Biff's Gun Room in a long time but it used to be pretty impressive. Again Jerry frequents those places in the line of business and if there is a deal to be gotten, he already has it.
There is a Bass Pro Shop in Southern Indiana but there prices are usually outrageous for that sort of thing, but it is a neat place to just visit and look around.
On another note if you are free one evening and want to tip a pint, give me a call (502)477-6333.

Bob

Christian for Israel
07-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I bet that was a shocker

it was unusual, but big bore is pretty common around here.