PDA

View Full Version : The tire place called me!

Patrick L
04-02-2017, 08:44 AM
In a related thread I posted how I still get wheel weights form auto shops, even though the yield is so low of lead vs. junk. I don't go crazy though, I have about 6 regular places that know me and save them for me.

Anyhow, this week I actually got a call from one of them. Business must be good, because I generally hit them twice a year and get a nice full 5 gallon bucket (actually two halves, since I'm not dumb enough to try to lift a full bucket!) They called me and asked me to stop by, since they had two buckets full and they were sort of getting in the way!

Then, I set up a service appointment at one of my other regular places, and the guy casually mentions, "Oh yeah, I got some weights, put an empty bucket in your car and I'll throw them in." Now this place is smaller, I usually get half a bucket if I'm lucky. I found another full to nearly the brim bucket!

I guess its time to deliver some donuts!

Beagle333
04-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Definitely! Keep those fellows happy!

mold maker
04-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I may finally be cured.
I turned down a full bucket last week, although I did recommend another caster that would gladly accept them.
With a lifetime supply, for an ever shortening shooting career, there is no need to keep depriving others of the dwindling supply.
There is actually some relief knowing I don't have another bucket full to separate and smelt.

jimb16
04-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to visit my sources. The scrap yards around here will still accept them, but will only give steel price. It isn't worth their effort to haul them to the scrap yard. Maybe tomorrow...

Victor N TN
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Everybody around here has a recycle agreement with the supplier...

04-04-2017, 05:53 AM
I may finally be cured.
I turned down a full bucket last week, although I did recommend another caster that would gladly accept them.
With a lifetime supply, for an ever shortening shooting career, there is no need to keep depriving others of the dwindling supply.
There is actually some relief knowing I don't have another bucket full to separate and smelt.

Same here. I grabbed and grabbed on the advice of some of the more addicted here. :p . But I realize I have more than I can ever hope to use so I've been selling some of the Monotype and Pewter. I'll eventually get to some of the super clean COWW, some of the other tin and 50/50 lead. I'll probably keep the isotope lead until they end. It is of course the cleanest lead I own. I just have too much of all of it. As you say, the shooting career gets shorter by the day. I enjoy casting and i LOVE reloading but I discovered copper plated lead from Berry's and just can't turn my eyes away from the gorgeous rounds they let me make. There is something about the perfectly polish brass contrasted by the brilliant glow of the copper plating. So Berry's has caused me to chew on the lead pile at an even slower rate now.

Naporter
04-06-2017, 12:41 PM
And at their price point (cheaper buying from a dealer than directly from Berry's), they're hard to beat. Between the cost of alloy and time consuming process of casting then coating then sizing, I find it convenient to buy theirs for 9mm supersonics. I especially like the 115 hollow base ones.