PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Downsizing

alamogunr
04-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Actually the thread title is somewhat misleading. I am approaching the three-quarter century mark in my life and, in looking around, I see the need to start clearing out a bunch of stuff that our sons probably won't want to deal with.

Actually the thread title is somewhat misleading. I am approaching the three-quarter century mark in my life and, in looking around, I see the need to start clearing out a bunch of stuff that our sons probably won't want to deal with.

I am an admitted pack rat when it comes to the printed word. I have extensive collections of several periodicals and books dealing with woodworking and other hobbies. I would hate to have to just dump them in the trash when someone might be willing to pay for them. I just don't know how to go about getting the word out. Also, I don't know the best way to ship such things since I would prefer to sell the periodicals intact rather than split up.

Any advice from anyone who has experience in such things would be appreciated.

I am not going to attempt to start on the casting stuff since I'm still using it and pretty much know how to use S&S here and how to pack molds, etc to avoid damage.

Again, any words of wisdom?

sparky45
04-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Your local city Library might be interested.

Plate plinker
04-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Giving them to someplace or organization and getting a tax receipt is more likely than selling.

bbogue1
04-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Check out the USPS Media Mail rate at http://www.stamps.com/whitepapers/media-mail-rate-guide.pdf It will save you quite a bit over flat rate. Pay for your USPS shipping online at USPS.com and when you print out the label have the software notify your mailman to pick up your package and you receive a discounted rate.

kingstrider
04-02-2017, 08:36 AM
I'm a paper hoarder as well and found old books and magazines are seldom worth much on the used market unless it is something collectable. I have sold a lot of stuff on Ebay but they take their cut of course. When selling magazines the best way is to group them into lots by issue and year. You can try selling individual issues but you usually only make pennies on the dollar and it is a lot more work.

MT Gianni
04-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Find a woodworking forum or young kid that wants to learn. I have unfortunately learned that what is of value to me is not shared by many others and those that do value it already have access.

gwpercle
04-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Yard sale , our news paper runs free yard sales ad's for you, state books and magazines will be sold , put out a few signs and price everything to sell ( low). You aren't going to get a lot of money for magazines , bundle them together and price them as package. We had more National Geographic's than Carter had liver pills, along with Good House Keeping and others....sold them all. If someone asked about price....make me an offer was the reply. Some books , we just gave to young people if they were interested in it.
It's amazing what people will buy at a yard sale !
Gary

alamogunr
04-02-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm going to try the Fine Woodworking as one lot first. If that doesn't work, I'll either donate them or as a last resort, Ebay in groups. The first 10 years will probably sell best.

I have never kept stuff like National Geographic or Good Housekeeping or the like. I also don't keep gun magazines except for Handloader and The Fouling Shot. I might try them later, both as one lot each since I have all issues.

My big problem is my location. We live in a small town and my interests are a far cry from most people's. I could probably do well if I decided to auction my guns that are run of the mill but most of my long guns are either milsurps or unusual(for around here) lever actions. I'm guessing that my sons would rather have the guns and the accompanying safes.

In the end I may decide that none of it is worth the trouble.

Bzcraig
04-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Try you local Craigslist?

bubba.50
04-02-2017, 11:18 AM
for what it's worth, you can fit a LOT of magazines in a large flatrate box or even a medium.

edler7
04-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Try a wood working forum. You might find somebody interested who is local enough they would come and get them to boot.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2017, 01:31 PM
I'm a bit of a hoarder...and it seems magazines are rarely worth the trouble to sell. Maybe if they are pre-WWII and in mint condition? I'd seek a local sale, cuz shipping adds enough to a non-valuable lot of magazines to make it not worth it to a potential buyer.

Books on the other hand is a different story, especially out of print books. Just type the book title into a Amazon search, then click on "used" to see what's currently available at what prices. I know you said you weren't gonna sell any casting books just yet, but some go for nearly $100. Common used books go for $5 or less, especially if online versions are available.