PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin 1895 CB 26" Took a Chance

frogleg
04-01-2017, 01:11 PM
I have wanted a Marlin cowboy in 45/70 with the 26" barrel for a long time. But because of the bad reviews, I was reading for a few years, I put off buying. So I just took a chance last week and ordered one.
So I thought you Guys might want to know what I think about it so far.
I like it, it functions well, Feeds and ejects fine , trigger is a little heavy but should smooth up, it is crisp.
The wood looks good,
The Bluing is dark and even ,
The fit of wood to metal is not perfect there are slight gaps, but not bad.
You can tell these are Machine made parts, Assembled but no extra hand work (my opinion)
Do'nt compare the fit and finish to your Henry. (i have two Henry's and they are very nice.)
I do like it, This Marlin is like a pickup truck a user, a Henry is like a Deluxe pickup truck.
I put a Skinner recever sight on it and now to shoot it, I will post results later :smile:

buckshotshoey
04-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Cool. I had to get on website to see which one the CB was. I like the 9 shot tube.

While looking on Marlins website, I noticed their warrantee was only 5 years. Was this Marlins policy all along or is this something Remington put in place?

Not bashing..... Just asking. Never seen this before. I thought Marlin was lifetime. Ive been a Ruger fan since i can remember and I'm not happy about the website FAQ on their warrantee either.

Gunslinger1911
04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
I have the 20" Cowboy (Davidsons special or some such) for maybe maybe a year and a half. Fit and finish are as you describe yours; not perfect, but have to really look to find any uglys. Shoots GREAT !

Frogleg, how do you like the Skinner ? About the only complaint I have is the rear sight adjustment ladder moves around (yea, I know, all I have to do is bend the bow of the sight a little more, I'm just too lazy to bash it out of the dovetail - haha)

frogleg
04-01-2017, 11:55 PM
I really like the Skinner sights. I bought the Alaskan for the marlin as it sits a little lower, I have skinners on my Henry small game and my 44 mag steel and I have always liked Ghost Ring sights.

Texas by God
04-03-2017, 11:16 PM
The 26" CB 95 Marlin is my idea of a 45-70. I'm glad you got a good one. A no good varmint friend of mine sold his that I had "dibs" on. It was a JM stamp and would roll soda cans at 100 yds with the Lee 340fp and Unique.
Best, Thomas.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Texas, what load was he using with the Lee 340?

Just looking at what my local shop gets in, Remlin seems to put more care into the 1895's. They usually look about as good as a late model JM gun. They sell bunches of them with few complaints.

T-Bird
04-15-2017, 10:35 AM
I've got one of these from the early 2000s that I love. I also have a receiver sight on mine. Will say this, this is a light gun if you decide to load it up, you will learn the meaning of "equal and opposite reaction".