PDA

View Full Version : Help, on ratio

goste
07-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Hello all.

I seem to have a slight problem, in that I think I'm over obsessing, hardness of the bullets, I want to cast.

I will mostly cast 9x18, 9x19,.45acp, and .38/357. I have about 45 lbs of wheel weight, melted into ingots. I came into about 50lbs, of pure lead waterpipe.

I also have access to wheel weight's, on a small scale, of about 3lbs a week or so,(more or less).

I don't want to waste my wheel weight ingot's, so about what mix would stretch out my supply. I will only load mild loads, in all calibers..

I feel in my mind, that the harder, the better, but I know now, thats not the case. I could really use some wisdom, on this one....

Thank's all
Caspar

docone31
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
First off, wheel weights are a mix anyway.
I cast, then water quench. More than hard enough
Blending in the lead.......
I would think, 25% pure to 75% wheel weight.
I like em hard also. Hard, and tightly fitting the bore. I also add tin to the wheel weight mix. About 2" per 20lbs. Sizes pretty tight to what I like. Sizing is easy, corners fill out well.

leftiye
07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
For economy, you could use straight wheelweights with a little (1% tin) added. Wheelweights are cheaper than pure (unless you salvage come pure), and linotype. If you want more hardess you can heat treat to about BHN 24 to 28 (a guess). I use 50/50 WW/pure for everything. It hts to about BHN 22 (not a guess).