PDA

View Full Version : laser range finder

BigMagShooter
03-30-2017, 08:40 PM
got an add in the email about Natches having range finders on sale.

don't know much about them, want a "decent" one to play with to try out.

(IOW, don't want a piece of junk that will break after 6 months)

saw this one for sale

LRF600 tilt intel SIMMONS for $80

anyone have any experience with it?

mtnman31
03-31-2017, 08:44 AM
My experience is with the couple I have. The one I've personally used most is a Leupold RXB-4 (now discontinued). It is a full size binocular with rangefinder. I got it at just above dealer cost and the thing was expensive but, I love it. I have read reviews about it having some battery life issues, but I have never experienced a single problem with mine. It will do a variety of ranging and ballistic calculations, has multiple reticles, and is very accurate. It's only drawback is that it doesn't fit in your pocket. But, I wanted the binoculars and was willing to make the size trade-off. The optics quality is great and it worked very well hunting and hiking the mountains of Colorado. It is also waterproof and will range out to a 1000ds. I also have an older military surplus rangefinder that I picked up at a swap meet. It is a beast. While it actually works, I never use it because it is big, heavy and takes a proprietary battery.

It all boils down to what you plan to do with it. If you just need it for ranging from your tree stand to the deer that is 45yds away, any old rangefinder will work, probably even some of the cheap ones designed for golfers. If you are doing long range shooting at unknown distances in mountainous terrain, a model with a ballistic calculator will be more suitable. Prices are all over the place. For the models under 200, you're getting a basic range finder that will show you range and maybe calculate for some angles. Their construction will be cheaper and probably not waterproof. Better models incorporate features like a compass, ballistic calculator that can compensate for angles when shooting up/down. The better quality rangefinders also have a greater range and are more accurate in their readings. Some have really nice quality optics that you pay a premium for. If money is no object, then I'd recommend the Vectronix Vector 23 range finding binocular. They run about $25,000. That's not a typo - they are over 20 grand! They'd be perfect for when you need to range a deer that is 15 miles away.

Going back to your original question, a month or so back, I found a cheaper Simmons Volt 600 rangefinder along the side of a gravel road where I go running. The area is frequented by deer and turkey hunters. The rangefinder had most likely had fallen off someone's truck. It was broken and water damaged so I took it apart to examine it. It was really cheap quality. The lenses were poor quality and the construction was toy-like.

I'd recommend you stay away from a cheaper model unless it has some decent features that you need AND a good warranty.

NSB
03-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Simmons, TruGlo, etc are all very low end quality optics. At a minimum, get a Bushnell range finder. They're "decent" and will last a very long time. I had one for about fifteen years and gave it away after I got a new Leupold with ARC feature (for bow hunting....not necessary, but nice). You'll pay under two hundred bucks for the Bushnell most places. FWIW, they are accurate to within +/_ one yard at 200 yards.....I checked.

MUSTANG
03-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Select a range finder that uses "Common Batteries" such as AAA or 9 Volt batteries. Mine is a Bushnell Elite 1500 in Camp Pattern and works great. I am almost ashamed at what I paid for it at the Kalispell Gun Show a couple years ago - It was Sunday afternoon and the guy was packing up his table of items and I saw it in a box, had a $40.00 tag on it, checked it out and it worked indoors, asked if he would take $15.00 and he said "SOLD". Use it often when in the field and when fishing from the boat as it's light weight and the monocular optics are pretty good.

My back up range finder is a set of Binoculars from West Marine that are waterproof, good optics, a Compass feature, and a range estimation bar where I can do some math and estimate ranges. Large and heavier, thats why they are backup/truck bound option.

Omega
03-31-2017, 09:59 AM
I will fall into the other camp, if it does what you want it to do, get it. I have used everything from high end laser range finders to the very basic units and have found many of the cheaper ones up to the task I needed them for. Most times, I range my area before I hunt to get a basic idea of the range and elevation to land marks so I can have an idea of the distance a deer may be at. I seldom shoot beyond 100 yards, but have checked distances beyond 300 yards with some of the cheaper ones. I never range a deer, I always get my distances before they show up because I seldom get enough time to do so. For setting up a range, there I will range a target, and with these cheaper models don't expect to go more than 300 yards, they just don't have it in them. But having said that, I don't target practice at more than that anyway, if I want long distance shooting, I go where the range is already marked for that. I always read the reviews on any product I am looking to buy (Amazon is a good place for that), and pick my way through them looking to see if any of the reviews mention a problem I can't live with. Most times you will see many who dislike a product for some things that the product was not really meant to do, such as going out beyond 200 for a deer with this one.

ole 5 hole group
03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
My suggestion would be to purchase a fairly good one, as you'll probably use it for the rest of your life, unless you feel the need to upgrade at some point in time. It can also serve double duty, acting as your binos as well.

Having said that, there are some "good" ones on the market, you just have to know what your needs or wants are and go from there.

Here's basically want you probably want to know when looking around.
1. A range finder uses laser beams, which travel at the speed of light and works by projecting hundreds of laser beams in far less than a half-second time period and that's going from the finder's laser diode to your target, getting reflected back and read by your range finder and the distance is immediately displayed. That's pretty fast!!

2. What gets reflected back is your only concern, so when purchasing a unit you probably should consider the range finder's beam size, as you want the smallest/narrowest beam for your money, so you can minimize false readings.

3. Good glass in a range finder is expensive as are the coatings. I think the better ones out there right now are Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Sig Sauer and probably a few others and when we talk "better" it's beam size, lens quality and unit durability.

4. Beam size used to be Leica was smallest, followed by Zeiss then Swarovski. I had a Zeiss, which performed really great but a guy wanted it real bad for a hunting venture out west and offered me more than I paid for it, so I let it go and purchased the Sig Sauer 2000. I recently looked at the Cabela site and saw the new Sig 2400 and it's price is really up there - hard to believe it can be that much better than the Sig 2000.

5. The fly in the ointment is usually the "target circle" in your range finder. It's big and holding steady and trying to center your target sometimes is a PITA - at least the Zeiss was and the Sig is. If you can use some sort of rest, everything is golden.

I purchase most of my optics used from individuals on Sniper's hide - An example of prices are I paid $350 shipped for the Zeiss and $400 shipped for the Sig - I've seen the Swarovski for $400 to $500 and the Leica 1200 for a good price - that number escapes me right now but I think it was in the $350/$375 range, could be wrong, but some prices are real good and most will come down from their asking price.

Wish you the best on your quest finding the right range finder for your hunts.

Tackleberry41
03-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Your not going to get much of a laser anything for $80. I went with a Nikon and it was $250. A range finder is just like a scope, you can't go to cheap.

Smoke4320
03-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Your not going to get much of a laser anything for $80. I went with a Nikon and it was $250. A range finder is just like a scope, you can't go to cheap.

well you can go cheap....... and you will have issues :)

mtnman31
03-31-2017, 01:26 PM
FYI - Monmouth Reloading currently has the Sig Sauer Kilo line of rangefinders on sale.

ole 5 hole group
03-31-2017, 01:53 PM
I haven't looked at range finders since getting my Sig 2000 but that Sig 2200 is an upgrade of sorts and that price seems very good. I've never seen any Sig 2000 for sale by owner, except mine, so if the Sig line is of interest, that 2200 is priced right. Here's a picture of my Sig 2000 in my hand.

Hick
03-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Check out Golf stores

Sur-shot
03-31-2017, 02:14 PM
I have a Nikon 800, it reads to 800 meters with an 6X magnification. It has an under 250 setting for close, a rain and a fog setting for reading through the elements. Rain and fog reflect giving you a false reading otherwise, plus you can use the setting for looking through leaves on trees or brush. It also reads very fast and uses AA batteries plus it has a belt holster. If using a shooting position or house, I lase points in open fields when I first set up. Once in a while you will find them as refurbished for about half price, regular retail is about $300. Mine is 10-15 years old and still like new. Like has been said , you will probably own it for life so buy a decent one.

Oh, combined with a ballistics program and a chronograph, it makes a first shot quite accurate and one shot kills at distance quite doable.
Ed

hd09
03-31-2017, 02:51 PM
free app on a smart phone but probably not all that accurate

Artful
03-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Unless you find a good buy on a used one! - :bigsmyl2:

Love Life
04-01-2017, 08:36 AM
My Leupold RX-1000 TBR w/DNA is overrated and not worth the money I paid. It has issues ranging beyond 600 yards. The best part about the thing is it already factors in the angle and gives you distance based off that for your firing solution. I ended up upgrading to a to Vectronix a guy was offloading during a rather nasty divorce. Now that thing is the bomb.

NSB
04-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Getting back to a range finder that won't break the bank and works very well: http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-rangefinders.html
Like I said, the one I had worked very, very well and after about fifteen years or so I gave it away and it was still working great. Ask for 5% off and they'll simply give it to you for asking.....plus free shipping and no sales tax. There's nothing "lower end" about their lower priced models. They'll do everything you need for hunting and target shooting out to several hundred yards. As I said, they're spot on at my range at 200yds and I've checked it against longer ranges and it was still spot on. You can actually take one step forward or backward at 250yds and it will show up in the reading time after time. Good luck.

quilbilly
04-01-2017, 01:18 PM
I have had a low end Nikon for a couple years and use it all the time. It has worked well and has been very handy. It is supposed to be good to 800 yards but haven't tried it out that far but I have used it to 600 yards and the ballistics calculations I used from it were right. I think it cost about $180 at the time.

jcwit
04-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Ain't that the truth. It's why I only drive a Rolls Royce! No issues!

dragon813gt
04-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Check out Golf stores

I don't think any of them calculate for the angle of the shot. This is a big deal when taking an elevated shot.

I have one of the Nikons. It didn't break the bank and I've been using it for a few years w/ no issues. Trying to use it through brush is tough but I expect others to have the same issues.

Love Life
04-02-2017, 10:08 AM
You don't have to have a range finder that calculates the angle. There are other devices available that will give you the angle and you can do the maff from there.

jcwit
04-02-2017, 10:14 AM
got an add in the email about Natches having range finders on sale.

don't know much about them, want a "decent" one to play with to try out.

(IOW, don't want a piece of junk that will break after 6 months)

saw this one for sale

LRF600 tilt intel SIMMONS for $80

anyone have any experience with it?

Want a decent one to "PLAY" with.

Buy one that fits your budget and "PLAY" with it!

But then if what your looking for is bragging rights, spend $1,500 for a SIG and show all your buds, Look what I can spend!

Love Life
04-02-2017, 10:19 AM
jcwit- There is a difference in performance across the price points. The $50.00 bargain basement range finder is not going to perform the same as the $300.00 class and the $300.00 will not perform the same as the higher classes.

The best bang for the buck, to me, is the Bushnell range finders. Outclassed my Leupold on all fronts for $100.00 less.

When doing ELR shooting, you have to have a range finder capable of reaching out. Top of the line is vectronix...period.

Out to 500 yards most any range finder will be reliable on a reflective target. Where the lower tier range finders start to fail is when ranging stuff like trees, deer, rocks, etc...you know...the stuff you would range when hunting.

jmort
04-02-2017, 10:29 AM
The Vectronix seems to be as good as it get. I have never seen one in person. I do agree with the Bushnell being a good choice for the $$$.

jcwit
04-02-2017, 10:33 AM
jcwit- There is a difference in performance across the price points. The $50.00 bargain basement range finder is not going to perform the same as the $300.00 class and the $300.00 will not perform the same as the higher classes.

The best bang for the buck, to me, is the Bushnell range finders. Outclassed my Leupold on all fronts for $100.00 less.

When doing ELR shooting, you have to have a range finder capable of reaching out. Top of the line is vectronix...period.

Out to 500 yards most any range finder will be reliable on a reflective target. Where the lower tier range finders start to fail is when ranging stuff like trees, deer, rocks, etc...you know...the stuff you would range when hunting.

Why of course there is a big difference.

Just as there is a huge difference between my wifes 2003 Kia Rio and my 2017 Rolls.

To think otherwise is foolish!

But then the OP asked for a "decent" "what ever that is" to "PLAY" with.

Reminds me of when I go to the Dr. and the nurse askes me what my level of pain is on a scale of 1 "no pain" to 10 "Unbearable".
Told her a while back it was at 10 "unbearable" and I was ready to put the gun to my head and end it all.

jcwit
04-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Here's a thought.

Take a look at the reviews on Amazon for the Simmons range finder for $69.00 on sale at Natchezz.

Love Life
04-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Why of course there is a big difference.

Just as there is a huge difference between my wifes 2003 Kia Rio and my 2017 Rolls.

To think otherwise is foolish!

But then the OP asked for a "decent" "what ever that is" to "PLAY" with.

Reminds me of when I go to the Dr. and the nurse askes me what my level of pain is on a scale of 1 "no pain" to 10 "Unbearable".
Told her a while back it was at 10 "unbearable" and I was ready to put the gun to my head and end it all.

Well, don't put the gun to your head. I've heard that is bad for you health, lol.

Are you cruising in a Rolls Royce now? If so, that is awesome and I bet it's a great ride and you have to beat the available young ladies off of you with a stick!! Take care.

jcwit
04-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Well, don't put the gun to your head. I've heard that is bad for you health, lol.

Are you cruising in a Rolls Royce now? If so, that is awesome and I bet it's a great ride and you have to beat the available young ladies off of you with a stick!! Take care.

YUP! All the Gold Diggers.

You should have seen what it was like back in my Corvette days.

Maybe I should get a Ferrari!

dragon813gt
04-02-2017, 12:17 PM
You don't have to have a range finder that calculates the angle. There are other devices available that will give you the angle and you can do the maff from there.

For hunting I want to carry as little as possible. Spending a little more is worth it IMO. I don't think the golf range finders are cheap to begin w/. So it's kind of a wash.

jim147
04-02-2017, 04:40 PM
I have a Bushnell ARC I have used for several years. Love it.

flyingrhino
04-03-2017, 02:16 PM
I've got a Nikon I think. 600 yard. Rarely can get a good reading beyond 400 yards. Just bought a the new one from ATN. LaserBallistics 1500. I really like it. 6x magnification. Connects to their app on my iphone. Instantly gives me scope windage and elevation adjustments for my scope. You just put your ballistics profiles in the app and select the one you want to use. Measures slant angle and target speed too. They make a 1000 yard model that is cheaper.

Smoke4320
04-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Flying Rhino sold my Leica (absolutely great rangefinder) to Artful and purchased the same ATN for my X Sight 2 5 x18 NV and the incoming ATN 4x18 Thermal
It works just as well and pairs to the NV or/and Thermal scope for auto distance entry and crosshair correcting and for std day scopes will pair to their mobile app and give you the corrections to manually change your scope

CGT80
04-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Look at what showed up at my door, on Saturday!

Bushnell Scout DX 1000 ARC 6 x 21mm Laser Rangefinderhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMPOBRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one has rifle arc and you can put in what cartridge you are using so it can do calculations for you. I'm not a hunter, so that part doesn't matter. It was around $250 for the camo version (it doesn't look as vibrant in person as in the photo) and was on amazon prime. A cheap rangefinder was appealing to the wallet, but I figured this thing could last me for many years and I wanted good accuracy and needed to measure out an area for 600 yard rifle shooting. The 6x magnification seemed like it would be useful.

For a long time, I have wanted to know the distance to my targets at the range and I am also the Project Director and Range Development and Planning Committee Chairperson for our range. It is kind of hard to do this job without a way to measure target distances and shot fall distances or even bay sizes. I have only played with it at home (in the city) and I am surprised how close the neighbors' trees are. Maybe my eyeball is that far off at measuring distances. Tomorrow, I should make it back to the range to try it out.

Smoke4320
04-03-2017, 02:58 PM
CGT80 yes the eyeballs will lie to you

we were putting up a stand yesterday 8' x 6' on 16ft posts along a creek line.
40 yds behind is a hill lower on left than right
in front of stand hill slants opposite

6 people there helping put up.. I am leveling posts with a LEVEL
all 5 others kept saying its not level
Stand up... finished for the day ...Still have braces, siding and tabletop to install
They are still saying its not level so I had 1 by one to check it themselves
put ladder up to climb on platform dead level !!!

flyingrhino
04-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Flying Rhino sold my Leica (absolutely great rangefinder) to Artful and purchased the same ATN for my X Sight 2 5 x18 NV and the incoming ATN 4x18 Thermal
It works just as well and pairs to the NV or/and Thermal scope for auto distance entry and crosshair correcting and for std day scopes will pair to their mobile app and give you the corrections to manually change your scope

Smoke...I've got the X Sight II also. 5-20. I haven't paired the rangefinder with it yet. I just moved it off of my air rifle (rats at night) and put it on a 300 Blackout AR upper for night hog hunting. Haven't shot it yet on the BO. Was interested in the thermal. Would be interested in what you think when you get it.