PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Collator Project / Dremel Love

mjwcaster
03-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Step 1- Make wood fit bucket.

So I have been dreaming about making a bullet collator to eventually feed an automated sizing press.

I was watching videos and thinking about how to cut the plates to fit in the bucket last week.
And as I thought how badly I would do with a jigsaw, I wondered about using a dremel.
And as I started thinking about making a circle cutting jog for the dremel I decided to look and see if dremel makes one.
Then it dawned on me that I have a handful of attachments that came with my dremel, maybe I should check them out.

Turns out I have the circle cutting attachment (#681) and multi-purpose cutting bit (#561).
Never used the dremel much, bought it years ago to work on a Saiga conversion and use it occasionally for some polishing.

So I now have some pieces of plywood cut that fit the bottom of my bucket, just to try out the dremel and figure out sizing.

I also have some cutting boards and MDF that I can use.

I found that the dremel did not really like the end of the plywood that was water logged.
Also it made a bit of a rough cut, so I made a second pass that cleaned things up nicely.

So for now I will cut a little over size and then make a cleanup pass.

So much more to do, but it is finally started.

Many questions to follow.

mjwcaster
03-30-2017, 05:20 PM
First question-
Is a 100gr .357 TC too short of a bullet to start with?

Would it be easier to get up and running with my 230gr .452 TC?

I am in the middle of casting a few K of these little guys and it is all I have no loaded up right now.

It seems like the little 100gr with a TC might be finicky about flipping over, and I would like to make this project as easy as possible to start with.

Plate plinker
03-30-2017, 09:30 PM
I have cut circles with a router and usually make 2-3 passes. It is less abuse on the cutting tool.