PDA

View Full Version : Cheap propane!

TexasGrunt
03-30-2017, 03:42 PM
The local Tractor Supply put in a propane filling station last year. They finally got one employee trained and certified to fill tanks.

I took a couple there the other day and the price was the best I've seen in years. $1.99 a gallon or less than $10 to fill a 20 lb tank.

Whoop whoop!

lightman
03-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Thats a really good price! I just had a 100# bottle filled at a local bulk fuel place for $75. The exchange places around here get more than $20 for a 20# jug, not even full.

rockrat
03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
They charge about $18 here, to fill

bedbugbilly
03-30-2017, 09:03 PM
A 20# tank refill costs me $16.00 where I go. Funny how much the price varies from place to place.

StolzerandSons
03-30-2017, 10:00 PM
We contract every year for our house needs. My 100 pound shop bottle they will fill from the truck when they are filling the 500 gal for the house. The 20 pounders I have to take over to their office and they fill them for me and it all comes off my contract. This year the contract price was $1.13 a gallon so not to bad.

The reason they won't fill the small bottles from the truck is because the truck pump fills to fast and the drivers won't risk it on anything smaller than a 100 pound bottle.

Mk42gunner
03-30-2017, 10:13 PM
I just called yesterday to get the last of my winter's prebuy delivered. It was $1.05 last fall, the lady asked me if I wanted to fill my tank or just get the last of what I had paid for, the price now is $1.30/ gallon.

I'm gambling the price goes down over the summer.

The only time I mess with the 20 pound bottles is when I have smelting to do.

Robert

Bzcraig
03-31-2017, 12:54 AM
Last time I filled it was $2.70/gal

BUCKEYE BANDIT
03-31-2017, 06:55 AM
And they only charge for how much they put in (if it's not completely empty).:drinks:.
The local Tractor Supply put in a propane filling station last year. They finally got one employee trained and certified to fill tanks.

I took a couple there the other day and the price was the best I've seen in years. $1.99 a gallon or less than $10 to fill a 20 lb tank.

Whoop whoop!

Gewehr-Guy
03-31-2017, 07:44 AM
If you have a large propane tank, ask your delivery man if it can be plumbed for liquid fill,then you can refill yourself for the bulk price. The valve, hose and fittings cost about $200 when I installed mine several years ago,used it to fill a propane tractor I once had. Now have several 100lb and 20 pounders ,all have the old style valves that can be bought cheap at farm auctions.

blackthorn
03-31-2017, 11:36 AM
How many pounds to the gallon?? Around here they put your tank on a scale, mark the weight, fill to a certain weight and you only wind up paying for the difference.

Mk42gunner
03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
I believe propane is four pounds per gallon.

308Jeff
03-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Most of the places around here are $2.75+, but I found a place pretty close to home that's $1.99. The filler guy is always friendly too.

Pretty happy about that.

Sur-shot
03-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Well, this summer I will shop the refill of my tanks. I put in two below ground large tanks. Last time I checked they were still 80% full after 1.5 years. Shop heater in a spray foam insulated building was all that was running on them. But I have just started building the new house so it will bring the usage up a bit with the instant hot water, stove, oven, two heaters and a fireplace plus the shop building heater. So far our gas prices, delivered over 30 miles, runs about $2.30 a gallon.
I had them put in a valve with a hookup for a burner feed hose outside the walk in door at the shop. I can run my lead alloy pot and steam rust blue pipe from that low pressure valve. Without a pump it can not be used to fill tanks which is just fine.
Ed

dverna
03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
My last fill (400 lb) was $.899 as I just purchased a tank and they were giving me a break. There is a market that fills for a 20 pound tank for about $8 when they have a sale on. Current bulk pricing is $1.29 here in Mid northern MI if you own the tank. Prices should drop in the next few months.

holsterguy
03-31-2017, 04:59 PM
How many pounds to the gallon?? Around here they put your tank on a scale, mark the weight, fill to a certain weight and you only wind up paying for the difference.
I think I read that there is 28 gallons in a 100 lb. cylinder.

tinsnips
03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
I am lucky my friend owns a bulk propane tank with pumps. My cost is zero. But we help each other out all the time .

Silvercreek Farmer
03-31-2017, 08:24 PM
$12 for a grill tank here at the local feed store.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Like Gewehr-Guy, I have my 500 lb tank that heats my shop plumbed to fill my own bottles, Use for heating the RV trailer, auxiliary heaters for shop when its really cold. I remember the cost of the plumbing at about $270. Tanks are filled to 80% capacity for safety reasons. The bottles have a Tare weight so, I use a scale to get the proper fill.

knifemaker
03-31-2017, 10:36 PM
One thing you have to watch out for with propane companies is if you have a large tank that needs filling several times a year. Some companies will come around to fill it when the price is high for that year, instead of filling it when the price is at the low mark. The company we use will just fills our house tank to get us by to the next regular fill when the price is high, and does the full topping off when the price goes down to a reasonable rate. This can save you several hundred dollars a year depending on the amount you need on a yearly basis.

mold maker
04-01-2017, 10:40 AM
All propane isn't the same. Some is part butane, and won't evaporate in extreme cold. I had tanks filled for cheap and couldn't get enough heat to smelt after tanks got to 50%.
Later in warm weather, they ran a grill just fine.

Kent Fowler
04-01-2017, 10:42 AM
When we went hunting, we used to get them filled in Mexico for 2.00 a bottle. We'd dump a pickup load of bottles off to get filled and head to the Cadillac Bar for a bite to eat.

TexasGrunt
04-01-2017, 01:02 PM
I don't have a large tank. I was going to buy one but the cost of several 20 lb tanks was much cheaper. As stated Tractor Supply ONLY charges for what they fill. Take in a half empty tank and it will run just a few dollars.

Reverend Al
04-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Up here in Canada (Victoria) it runs me about $19.00 Canadian to fill my 20 pound bottles for the BBQ and my reloading shop use when they are completely empty. And unfortunately there is not much opportunity to "shop around" on the pricing either when there are only TWO outlets left that will fill propane tanks! Our local Costco store and one gas station that still offers automotive propane plus BBQ tank refills ... that's it ... There are a bunch of local gas stations plus Canadian Tire that are offering pre-filled 20 pound propane tanks on an exchange basis for about $29.99, or they'll sell you a refurbished pre-filled tank for about $65.00!

:(