PDA

View Full Version : TC Scout Breech Plug Variances?

54bore
03-30-2017, 10:32 AM
I started cleaning my brand new .50 Cal barrel this morning so i could shoot it today (packed with factory grease etc.) when i removed the Breech plug/Nipple i noticed an immediate difference, i went and grabbed another one to check it side by side, they were VERY DIFFERENT! The one on the bottom came from the brand new .50 Cal barrel, the upper one came from one of my .54 Barrels (both 54s look identical) The only odd ball plug is from this brand new .50 Barrel? The serial number is quite low on this new .50 Cal, i put the upper one in the .50 barrel and it's a perfect fit, the original odd one is a bit short. Its quite obvious that TC changed the design somewhere along the line. There are no side vents in the bottom one, and the flash hole is a LOT larger. Does anyone know anything about this?

54bore
03-30-2017, 03:59 PM
I shot the new .50 Scout Today, It was starting to sprinkle rain by the time i got set up to shoot but i hurried a group in before i got wet, I am confident i can shoot these better, but I'm not complaining about this. Target was 80 Yards, bullets were .492 550 Grain, i did the double wrap of onion skin paper and sized to .498, i only shot 4 times but that told me what i wanted to know.

192201 192202 192203

Rick Hodges
03-30-2017, 05:08 PM
I have a .54 TC Scout and 3 spare nipples....all look like your top one. My rifle was purchased new in the early 80's, serial #19XXX

54bore
03-30-2017, 05:40 PM
I have a .54 TC Scout and 3 spare nipples....all look like your top one. My rifle was purchased new in the early 80's, serial #19XXX

My serial number is 71XX with the bottom plug, again this rifle was brand new in the box old stock. I'm thinking this is something they tried early in production and ended up changing? My other 3 are all like the top one.

johnson1942
03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
they are game gitters.

starmac
04-03-2017, 05:39 PM
54bore. I read one time that the scouts had a bad rep for hang and misfires. Mine has always gone bang right when expected. I have to wonder if the first ones had problems and TC corrected it with a redesigned nipple.

35remington
04-03-2017, 06:52 PM
I presume the hole in the front of the nipple might be for extra venting and preventing hammer movement. It may be the existing gap between nipple and breech was sufficient venting so the hole was later found unnecessary.....for all I know.

My .54 is like the first one. These are good accurate pistols and mine shoots a wide variety of bullets well. Good and I think fairly representative shooting from 54b, those are good groups that will kill whatever needs killing.

I have gone up to 530 in the .54 pistol but admit nothing in Nebraska needs that much bullet weight and the lighter bullets are more fun to shoot. We squirreled away some 310 Ball-ets and over 60 grains 2F this is deer capable.

Lighting off a 530 in a pistol gets your attention.

Rick Hodges
04-03-2017, 07:05 PM
My understanding is the side holes in the action and vent holes in the "breech plug" were to vent the air compressed by the primer discharge so it didn't have to fight a cushion of air to reach the powder. I have had no problems with ignition of Goex or 777ff even at 15 below zero with the vented breech plug and a standard #11 cap.

54bore
04-03-2017, 11:22 PM
It is DEFINITELY an odd deal with the bottom breech plug, like i said it came out of a brand new unfired 50 Cal with fairly low serial no. As you can see it is TOTALLY different, it does not have the side vent holes in it, and the thru flash hole is a LOT larger than the newer version. They also made it shorter so there is a small space between the end of the nipple and where it fits into the breech of the barrel, The newer version is longer and goes all the way into the recess of the breech, it has the side vents in it, and the tiny thru flash hole like a normal TC no 11 nipple. Again my bet is this was a very early original Scout nipple and TC did away with it

54bore
04-04-2017, 02:11 AM
I have to wonder if the first ones had problems and TC corrected it with a redesigned nipple.

starmac, This is exactly what i think happened, Was hoping someone on here would know the exact scoop? I dont plan to even try this old original 'odd ball' breech plug/nipple, i replaced it with the other version. I will hang on to it as a conversation piece

bedbugbilly
04-04-2017, 05:08 PM
I know very little about the Scouts - I almost bought one once upon a time though so did a little reading on them - but again, limited knowledge. I do remember reading something about different styles of breech plugs for them. At any rate, for those of you that have one - I'm assuming that parts are probably a little hard to come by? If I remember correctly, Track of the Wolf had some of the breech plugs for these - don't know if they still do - but if you are possibly looking for a spare to have as a "might need some day", you might give them a call.

54bore - looks like you are having a lot of fun and success! Good for you! Enjoy and have fun - I always thought they looked like a fun rifle.

54bore
04-05-2017, 01:02 AM
I know very little about the Scouts - I almost bought one once upon a time though so did a little reading on them - but again, limited knowledge. I do remember reading something about different styles of breech plugs for them. At any rate, for those of you that have one - I'm assuming that parts are probably a little hard to come by? If I remember correctly, Track of the Wolf had some of the breech plugs for these - don't know if they still do - but if you are possibly looking for a spare to have as a "might need some day", you might give them a call.

54bore - looks like you are having a lot of fun and success! Good for you! Enjoy and have fun - I always thought they looked like a fun rifle.

bedbugbilly, Having all sorts of fun with these little Scouts! So far i have had ZERO ignition issues with them, i swab good between shots, you can literally look through the nipple and see daylight, as long as you can see light They will go BANG immediately! Guys that complain of ignition problems don't understand them, dont keep them clean, etc. The Scouts have a small Ante Chamber/Patented breech that needs to be cleaned, i have found my little steam cleaner to work AMAZING on all of my muzzleloaders Ante Chambers/Patented breeches. TOTW does stock the breech plugs for the Scout