PDA

View Full Version : you know I just hate city folks sometimes!

Handloader109
03-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Big dog showed up yesterday afternoon. Looks to be a pit, finally got decent look and it is a male. Looks to be in good shape, not thin, well fed. But definitely lost look on his face and actions. Tried to run off last night hoping was just neighbor dig that was out, but nope, spent​night close and with some rain this morning, was at house. I'm on 3 acres surrounded by several hundred pretty empty hills. Why in God's name would you toss out a grown dog that you obviously took care of? I'd keep him, even though I dislike pit breeds, but I have 4 small rat terriers that think they are bigger than him, but are only a bite away from the vet or certain death.
Well, we'll see, daughter has a friend that wants one. Maybe I can get him to take him. Darn it! I hate shooting dogs!

richhodg66
03-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Wife and I bought our place out in the sticks about two years ago and I've expected to have all kinds of pets discarded out here, but so far, have just had one cat show up and I like him a lot. Honestly, there's a house a half mile or so away and we suspect he's going between families, he'll hang around a week or so then disappear a few days sometimes longer, then show up again, but he never looks like he's been living feral after one of his times away.

Makes me wonder if this dog just strayed away from a house around you? Is he friendly? I'm kind of scared of pit bulls myself, but have known some that were good dogs. Try asking around to see if he belongs to someone around you.

crowbuster
03-29-2017, 09:22 PM
We deal with the same stuff as well. And the last one was a pit. Nice, well mannered. Nice gal I know runs a pit rescue, called her up, she was glad to have him. within a wk she had found the owner who said he ran off, he had a chip the vet read. So for the price of a bag of dog food, he was home safe and sound. I wont shoot em unless I have to. Called the pound plenty as well.

M-Tecs
03-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Could be he got lost. Most vets have scanners for chips. He may be chipped.

Handloader109
03-29-2017, 09:46 PM
I don't think he's lost he's been ranging a good distance today, but ends up near out main gate. Well off the main road, I'm not shooting g him unless he attacks one of us and so far he's not doing that.

nannyhammer
03-29-2017, 09:53 PM
Thank all the "do gooders" that pass breed bans. Every time they pass a new local ordinance, the country side inherits more dogs that are dumped instead of taking them to a rescue or no-kill shelters. Most bad dogs are caused by bad owners but unfortunately the "do gooders" don't want to address the real issue.

bob208
03-29-2017, 10:01 PM
we get cats. car slows up late at night. then in the morning there is a new cat setting on the porch. last one we got was dumped out right in front of daughter inlaw. she stopped and pick him up. we have him now.

Mk42gunner
03-29-2017, 10:14 PM
I haven't had any dogs dumped here in several years, the last was a poodle mix we named Jerry. He was a very smart dog, but very susceptible to fleas and other critters; I never could get rid of the fleas completely.

I did catch one person of the airheaded female variety putting dogfood out next to the road, "To help me pay for feeding all my puppies." I lit into her about that teaching them to go towards the road, when I let them out of the dog pen. Funny thing is I haven't had any trays dumped since then.

Robert

jcwit
03-29-2017, 10:38 PM
I live in town, although a small one, a block away a city father bought part of my dad's small farm and put in Government Sub'ed Housing. Now we have both dogs & cats show up then the trash moves out!

Had a beautiful Irish Setter roam the neighborhood with a lost look, finally had one of the vets helpers that had a farm take him/her and gave him a new home.

Tackleberry41
03-30-2017, 09:49 AM
My neighbor takes in every dog thats dumped...anywhere. They have I guess 10 over there now. Several of the irritating little ones, including a small terrier I am developing an intense hate for as it barks at EVERYTHING. They are inside dogs, not outside. I see them after cars all the time. The people just just let them roam. Only thing that keeps the numbers in check is being hit by cars.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-30-2017, 09:58 AM
I live rurally and have the same problem. Usually though it is cats. My neighbor about a mile away adopts them all. She has over 80 cats by a conservative estimate. We raise chickens. I'll stop talking now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plate plinker
03-30-2017, 10:04 AM
I dislike a lot of people who should be put down.

Kent Fowler
03-30-2017, 10:40 AM
I guess we've been lucky as we live just far enough out, the deadbeats in town are too lazy to drive out this way. About 3 years ago, a little white puppy showed up at the door. We thought she was a Lab. Called a neighbor who's dog had died a few weeks previously and he came and looked her over. He finally decided he wanted her as she had a really well mannered disposition. I get a call from him about 3 weeks later and he informed me the pooch was not a Lab, but a Great Pyrenees. I wished him luck with the dog food bill. She's still a pup in this pic, but her and my pooch have to have a meet and greet every morning when my wife goes walking. So, sometimes things do turn out well.

Ithaca Gunner
03-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Beautiful dog, Kent. I'da had a hard time not keeping her for myself.

We don't have a dog problem here, seems there's always someone who'll take em in no matter how old or down trodden they may be. A Lab mix showed up a few years ago, friendliest fellow I ever met. We kept him for about a week, then the wife found posters almost 5 miles away with the dogs picture on them and a plea for any information on the dog. She called the number on the posters and the owners left work in the city 25 miles away for a happy reunion. All we could figure was the dog chased something, got lost and wandered the distance. He was a happy to see them as they were to see him.

MUSTANG
03-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Have had to find homes (Not Money grubbing Animal Shelter Organization) for at least two dozen dogs over the last 20 years in Moapa and Kalispell homes. Sitting at my feet are a Chocolate Lab (Found Lost? Abandoned? in the middle of Nevada), and a German Shepard (Arrived on front porch and would not go away for weeks - even after being shot repeatedly with pellet rifle to discourage her, and encourage her to go home). Both are now family members.

Many people often have lack of commitment and responsibility; which spills over to their pets. I have seen lost of articles with people trying to give away Horses, Goats, Chickens, Dogs, Cats, etc... At least those people have a sense of responsibility and obligation to their pets and animals.

RogerDat
03-30-2017, 11:50 AM
My pet peeve is people who move out to the country and then figure now their dog doesn't need to be on a leash or kept on their property. I have big chunk of my back yard fenced and several times have seen the same two dogs running along the outside of the fence. One from down the road, hit by a car, lived but several broken bones they now keep him on leash or in his run. The one from across the street, big friendly, fluffy husky type dog, with a shock collar for an invisible fence that probably doesn't make it through his fur and he is such a dufus he runs right through the invisible fence chasing something, he is "outside" before he even realizes he is being shocked. Have heard more than one screeching set of tires from him crossing the road to come over for a visit.

They represent the careless owners that put their dogs at risk because they won't do the right thing to keep them safe.

There was a dog pack running about a mile or two north of us, people would let their dogs out for the day and they naturally packed up. Killed a few pet cats, and a dog tied out. Then they ran into the coyote pack in the area, got thinned some and the people letting their dogs run loose had a real problem with them not coming home because the coyotes or other dogs killed them.

Anytime I see a small dog in a lost dog poster at the gas station I figure coyotes made them into a dog treat.

The three close neighbors I have with dogs are all responsible, two of them have small dogs that can come through the 4x4 inch mesh of my field fencing they both asked if it was ok if their dogs came through to visit our dog because they were not going to let their dog in my yard and do it's business without making sure it was ok with me. The other fellow has two standard poodles, they stay on the back half of his 10 acres where the house is, never see them more than half way down the drive. Think he has an invisible fence but he or his wife is also is out there with the dogs most of the time the dogs are outside.

Where I used to live I did have to tell my new neighbor that the farmer behind me shoots dogs that go into his livestock field, they were outraged, I pointed out a dog bothering livestock can be legally shot. They were flabbergasted and said they would sue, I told them the owners of the nine dogs I knew of buried in that field probably felt the same way and it didn't make any difference to the dog. Maybe they should keep their dog on their own property and not have to worry about it.

MaryB
03-31-2017, 02:13 AM
I get cats dumped off all the time. Most turn into coyote bait within a week. One the whole town has kind of adopted and he spends the nights inside wherever he chooses. Very friendly, runs right to you to be picked up and held. He was dumped in front of my house but quickly found his way down to the bar where he sneaks in to sit with people.

jonp
03-31-2017, 04:04 AM
We got our Valley Bulldog like that. About a year after we bought our house we were standing outside talking and the dog walked around the corner of the house, came up to me and laid on its back to get its belly scratched. We left it outside and the next morning it was still there so I gave it a little food as it was very skinny. Put up fliers in the local stores but no one ever claimed her. The dog was fixed, house broken, shook hands, very friendly etc. and is the best dog we ever had. I've no idea why someone would put a nice dog like that out especially one that had been trained but 8 yrs later we are happy they did.

44man
03-31-2017, 08:15 AM
Guy behind me lets his hound out to run all night, I get tired of cleaning my yard. I think the Warden got him once and fined the guy. I still see tracks after a rain. Then a pretty hound dog pup moved into my barn, the neighbor lady lost a dog after cancer took her. I gave the pup to them but the pup is afraid of men and when I go visit it takes a long time to get a hug in. It had to be abused. Sometimes they leave home for a reason. We fed it in the barn until they took him and Carol left the dog pan of food, big mistake! Mice filled my new lawn mower flywheel with all the food. I had to remove the cover and vacuum it all out. Found dead mice so I wonder if dog food killed them.
Most dogs find their way home. Ours got out under the fence once and 2 were picked up by people, open the car door and they went in. We found them but mommy was gone 2 weeks but came home. My dogs would not harm an animal, just wanted a run. My dogs live in the garage and my little one is in the house, never run free.

Handloader109
03-31-2017, 08:42 AM
Well, He is roaming in a wide berth the last couple of days. Haven't seen him this morning, yet, but I will I expect. Really pretty dog, has been fed well, plenty of heft and no bones showing, but he's and it's a he is really skiddish. I've got several Coyotes that roam around that I've not tried to get rid of yet, seen them mouse pouncing in my field, which is fine by me and they haven't bothered neighbor's cows. We'll see, I do remember a fairly new family that had three dogs in a small pen in front yard a while back, I'll have to go that way and see if they are missing one. I don't think this one belongs there, looks too good. :( And I've let my dogs run just enough to go get my paper. About 10 minutes a day. But not right now, Big'un might take exception to my smallest terror chewing on his back leg.

dverna
03-31-2017, 11:54 AM
It isn't just city people. I live 12 miles from the closest small town and we had a cat dropped off on our road (2.5 miles with only three full time residents). Cat did not last long. We have coyotes in the area.

NavyVet1959
03-31-2017, 12:23 PM
One of the things that some people do in the Houston area when they need to get rid of a dog and want to kill it is to dump it off in the middle of one of the major freeways that head into downtown. The roads have concrete barriers on the sides, so the only way for the dog to escape is to find an on-ramp or exit-ramp and make it across the feeder roads. The dog has to make it across possibly 6 lanes of freeway speed traffic and then 2-4 lanes of feeder road traffic. My daughter rescued a female pit bull that someone had done that to. She's a pretty good dog, but there were some dominance issues with our other female pit bull that resulted in my having to do a bit of sewing up on the older female. Each of them wanted attention from us when we went out and their jostling for attention would sometimes result in fights. I ended up buying the electric shock collars and whenever they got close to each other and their body language showed that they were trying to exert dominance other the other, I would zap them. Eventually, they got better and got along well enough.

Funny thing was that after the first fight and my having to sew up our original dog, I got pissed and opened the electric fence and kicked the new dog out. Figured she would run away. Next thing I know, my wife is telling me that the dog crawled under the electric fence and was back. So, my wife tried it again and the dog came right back under the bottom electric wire. It won't leave though, but it will come back.

My daughter put up posters and listed it on various sites in case the original owner wanted it back, but no response. When it was time to give my dog her monthly heart worm preventative shot, the new dog was still here, so I gave her a shot also, so I guess I kind of adopted her.

Funny thing happened the other day though. The new dog grabbed her leash and walked over to my wife and dropped the leash at her feet, apparently wanting to be taken for a walk. We have a pretty large backyard, so we don't normally take the dogs for a walk.