PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller 707 press Info needed

TNsailorman
03-29-2017, 07:40 PM
I recently bought a very nice Lachmiller 707 reloading press and have so far struck out trying to find information of it. Can anyone offer information or a lead on this press? I cannot do pictures or I would put them up here. Thanks, james:coffee:

salpal48
03-29-2017, 08:56 PM
I have several. Olympian 707. Only because I collect Lachmiller. I saw the one For sale . And it was in Good shape.. The 707 Does not Look like Much But it is Very very strong.. Lachmiller Billed The press as a Cross between a "C" and an "O". The Pyramid shape was Inovative for It's Time. At the time Lachmiller were Press designers and were Concerned with Pressure. The force Of Forming Brass was absorbed It it's shape.
Unlike The model 100or 400. this could take an Universal Primer Kit. . when mounted It has a short Low profile. . It was a Direct Competition To the RCBS @ the Time. . In order to Compete RCBS bought them Out.. Lachmiller also Has a Design called " Lachmiller Powerhouse". This was mostly Not produced. But after RCBS produced Them . The model Escapes me . It is that Massive "O " press. that bring Big Money
There were a Couple of so called Drawbacks.
No Compound Leverage, small Mounting footprint
I have Used mine and There is enough space Like a C press. If mounted properly and Higher ( My benches are 42" high ) You can Resize almost any cartridge
. If your a Lachmiller collector This machine Is very In demand.
Good Luck with It

TNsailorman
03-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the information salpal48. I am not a collector but I do like the older equipment and have had some older Herter's, C&H's, Pacifics, but as I was wont to do in the past, I was more interested in trying something different than in building a collection. As a result I have sold a few jewels in the past, usually for what I paid for them or less in some cases. My uncles started me reloading in the late 50's, I still have his old plum colored Redding powder measure, it is one piece I have held onto. I ink I will try to find an user manual for this press and maybe some accessories. I like it. I just build a new bench for it. take care, james

WJP
03-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Nice press. I had one just like it not too long ago. Wish I had room to keep it but it found a good home. Don't know much about it though.

TNsailorman
03-30-2017, 08:40 PM
WJP, Thanks for putting up the picture of my press--I was the one who bought it from you. I am beginning to develop a real fondness for this little press. james[smilie=s:

WJP
03-30-2017, 09:01 PM
I know you're the one lol. That's why I put the pic up for you. Never got to use it that much but seems like a good solid piece. Unfortunately my 1050, 550, and RC get the most use. I'd like to use some of my older stuff but I mainly load in bulk and don't have room on the bench. Hope you enjoy it.

Pressman
03-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of good information here. This is from a 1968 catalog, address 6445 San Fernando Road, Glendale, CA. I have another 8 page catalog with no date but showing the address as 11273 Goss St., Sun Valley, CA that shows the 7076 and the Model 400.

At some point after this Lachmiller was bought by Penguin Industries, that did not last long then RCBS picked them up to get the lubesizer. The also kept the priming tool, even redesigning the frame to reduce costs. The rest of the Lachmiller line was dropped. I have been unable to determine if the Powerhouse press was ever released for sale, though there are pictures of it in period publications. It came out at the same time RCBS picked them up and making it would have been redundant as RCBS had presses that were equally as good.

Lachmiller did make an inexpensive bullet swage die for 3/4 jacket bullets. They had moulds and handles to go along with the lubesizer, though the moulds were likely made by Lyman. Their handles are interchangeable with Ohaus moulds and they were made by Lyman.

Ken

Pressman
03-31-2017, 03:50 PM