PDA

View Full Version : 3 loads for Lymans 225646 .22 cal.bullet

bhp9
07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Here are 3 loads that I played around with these last couple of weeks.

Bullet was Lyman’s relatively new 225646 cast of pure linotype. If your Linotype has too much of the tin burnt out of it you can add 1 lb. of 50/50 bar soldier to the mix. .22 caliber bullets are notoriously hard to cast so the tin mix and temperature must be right.

First load was for my Bolt Gun, a 1980’s vintage Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel in .223 Rem. Caliber. I recently installed a 1 ounce Jewel Trigger in it that cut groups literally in half with both jacketed and cast bullet loads. Twist was 1 in 9. Barrel length was 26 inches.

This load will not work the action of my Mini-14.

Load was 10.7 grains of IMR 4198 with Red Rooster hard Rifle lube, gas checked, sized .225 and loaded with ½ grain of polyester pillow stuffing. Although I did not experience any hang-fires without using the filler I shot the loads with and without it. Velocity was 1,872 fps. average. Groups ran 1 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards.

I do not think with this fast burning powder that the filler was necessary but with the following two loads using BL-C2 powder and IMR 4895 the filler was necessary as hang fires and erratic ignition took place when I tried the loads without the filler.

Load two was worked up for my Mini-14 which did function the action. The load was 19 grains of IMR4895 , gas checked with red rooster rifle lube and ½ grain of polyester pillow fiber. Very good load for the Mini-14 and it equaled my accuracy using Match grade and very expensive Jacketed bullets. Groups ran about 2 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards. Velocity out of the Mini-14 was 2,091, avearge.

Load three was also for the Mini-14 and also functioned the action. Same as above but used 18.8 grains of BL-C2 powder at a velocity of 1,856 out of the Mini-14. Groups were about the same in accuracy. Perhpas an increase to 2,100 fps might improve accuracy? Thats for another experiment.

Please beware that using the last two loads that were worked up for the Mini-14 did not give very good accuracy in the long barreled M70 Winchester bolt gun as the velocity with the longer barrel was way too high.

The Mini-14 had a Choate synthetic folding stock with B-Square quick detachable scope mount and had a brand new 3x9 Leupold scope mounted on it. It also has a Choate night firing flash hider. “Snaky looking”, so said a colleague of mine some years back.

Strange Post Script. The factory 5 round magazine would not work with this bullet and would not even go into the gun but the factory 20 round clip worked just great. Perhaps I have defective 5 round factory mag but it does work with jacketed bullets just fine. Strange to say the least.

Larry Gibson
07-11-2008, 12:48 AM
bhp9

That 19 gr load of 4895 is the same accuracy load I developed for my Mini14 years ago. It was an older one with the 10" twist.

Larry Gibson

HORNET
07-11-2008, 01:07 PM
bhp9, What primer were you using? I've had hangfires with 4895 with cast loads in the .223 using some old Win.1-1/2-108's that I had sitting in a storage unit for a while. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the 6-1/2's, though. I drilled the flash holes on some spare cases to .093 but haven't tried them with the 1-1/2's again yet. I HATE trying to get filler into .22 cases.

bhp9
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I was using CCI primers, I like them for the very reason most people hate them and that is that they are a bit larger on the outside diameter. This enables me to use my cases far longer than smaller diameter primers as regular size primers often fall out of loose primer pockets. The CCI's being bigger are harder to seat but are no problem seating them with a RCBS rock chucker press.

I think the problem you had with hang fires probably was not with the primers even though they may have been old but rather that the air space in the case without the use of filler caused the hang fires.

Using pillow fiber filler is not all that difficult if you use a small screw driver to pack in the filler. Once you get used to it you can even guess how much to pinch off from the pile before you weigh it.