PDA

View Full Version : Sundays ooops

country gent
03-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Sunday coming home from the range I got off the side of the road and hit a pole with my truck. Trucks no big deal it was an old beater in decent shape I'm not concerned about it. A couple friends from the club came and got the gear and things out of it and took me home. While I'm not seriously hurt I'm am still darned sore from the seat belt. Coughing laughing stretching all hurt right now. Be a few more days probably till I'm back to normal. Even typing this and reaching for the mouse hurts. LOL

Hawks Feather
03-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hang in there and after a few days you will be back at the range.

375supermag
03-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident...
Hope you recover quickly.

44man
03-28-2017, 06:59 PM
I had one too. A deer popped out in front of me. I went right just enough to miss and hit a tree root or burl, tore the front out of my 4 runner. I was on the side and then on the roof. I watched the sun roof crumble. Air bag gave me a shiner but I was not hurt. Strange to hang upside down from the seat belt. I got it off when the door opened, I got out cussing.
Last day of deer season and I missed but they got even with me. Had new tires, battery and a cool air system in the truck. Also I changed the timing belt. Big loss.

lightman
03-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Glad you were not seriously hurt. Vehicle accidents can really make for some soreness. Take it easy for a few days and you'll be back at a 100%.

country gent
03-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Oh man Lightman are you right. Plus using the walker with my upper body sore from the seat/shoulder belt is a real issue right now. I am so sore I cant hardly use the walker now. I ve got a "celebration of life" for a good friend who just passed away I'm hoping to go too.

54bore
03-29-2017, 01:08 AM
I had one too. A deer popped out in front of me. I went right just enough to miss and hit a tree root or burl, tore the front out of my 4 runner. I was on the side and then on the roof. I watched the sun roof crumble. Air bag gave me a shiner but I was not hurt. Strange to hang upside down from the seat belt. I got it off when the door opened, I got out cussing.
Last day of deer season and I missed but they got even with me. Had new tires, battery and a cool air system in the truck. Also I changed the timing belt. Big loss.

First off, country gent, Sorry for the unfortunate mishap!

44man, I had a super close call with a deer last year, i seen her on the other side of the rd in the ditch line at night, I didn't see any cause for concern as she was on the opposite side of the rd, then out of the blue she comes racing across the rd, i braked as hard as i could and she was trying to outrun me across the rd, i got down to about 10-15 mph and was veering as hard as i could to miss her without getting in a wreck over it, she jumped at the last second and ended up rolling up on my hood (which saved her from getting her legs broke etc.) i was stil on the brakes, she rolled off the hood and hit the ground running unscathed! Didnt hurt her, or my truck, one dirty hoof print on my hood where she kicked as she was rolling off. Me and her were both fortunate this could of been UGLY

MT Gianni
03-29-2017, 09:17 AM
When my kids were of driving age I got a 10% discount if they listened to a lecture by my agent. One of the Key points was to never go out of your way to avoid hitting a deer. Too often the damage is more extensive leaving the roadway than from a deer.
Country gent, I know this wasn't your problem but poles and vehicles can be replaced. I hope you are healing OK.

44man
03-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Instinct takes over. My tires were still rubbing pavement. But the tree had roots or a burl to the edge of the road. Eyes on the deer and did not see the thing. The doe was so big she would have taken the windshield and me out.
Carol hit a deer once and the 4 Runner had those pipes on the front, Useless, still totaled it.
I know, just hit the deer but it is hard to not turn away.

Greg S
03-29-2017, 11:15 AM
MT Gianni - Hitting a deer or small caribou OK, moose no.

OeldeWolf
03-29-2017, 03:19 PM
My ex and I hit a moose once, totaled a nearly new Toyota.

Country Gent, 44man: As I recall, the soreness was bad for a few days, but was moistly gone in a couple of weeks. I wish you both a speedy recovery.

FISH4BUGS
03-29-2017, 04:42 PM
I live in the sticks after moving from the City. One thing I have learned is to watch for deer. All the time. I hit one with my Mercedes and really crunched the car.

Blackwater
03-29-2017, 06:40 PM
In aviation, it's said that any landing you can walk away from is a "good one." On the highway, that's not a bad philosophy there, too. But a "good landing" doesn't mean it's without pain. Heal up quick! Pulling for you here.

MT Gianni
03-30-2017, 09:43 AM
MT Gianni - Hitting a deer or small caribou OK, moose no.
Moose are tall enough that they can come through the windshield. I would agree with that.

country gent
03-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Ive seen rabbits go thru radiators and windshields. They make a jump straight up at just the right moment. I ran a pheasant thru a farm trucks windshield also years ago. In my thunderbird even deer are scary it sits so low you look under them not over them. I'm still sore and stiff but doing better now.

gwpercle
03-30-2017, 05:47 PM
When my kids were of driving age I got a 10% discount if they listened to a lecture by my agent. One of the Key points was to never go out of your way to avoid hitting a deer. Too often the damage is more extensive leaving the roadway than from a deer.
Country gent, I know this wasn't your problem but poles and vehicles can be replaced. I hope you are healing OK.
A friends wife totaled their car when she tried to avoid hitting a POSSUM....that's insane !