PDA

View Full Version : Federal Ammunition Anoka Plant Layoffs

trapper9260
03-28-2017, 06:28 AM
I am not sure I have this in the right place if not please move it where it need to be.
www.alloutdoor.com/2017/03/22/federal-ammunition-anoka-plant-layoffs

GhostHawk
03-28-2017, 07:58 AM
For a plant which employs over a thousand people to only trim 10% of them does not give me much cause for concern. Call it routine housekeeping, keeping things balanced so the company stays healthy in the new situation.

Idaho45guy
03-28-2017, 08:17 AM
They're cutting jobs in my area, too...

http://lmtribune.com/northwest/lewiston-ammunition-maker-reduces-workforce/article_cb3c0479-ac06-5901-9dbc-c08b2342c59a.html

Lewiston ammunition maker reduces workforce Vista Outdoor cuts 15 salaried positions in Lewiston

By ELAINE WILLIAMS of the Tribune
Mar 24, 2017 Updated Mar 24, 2017
4 (http://lmtribune.com/northwest/lewiston-ammunition-maker-reduces-workforce/article_cb3c0479-ac06-5901-9dbc-c08b2342c59a.html#comments)

Vista Outdoor has trimmed 15 salaried positions in Lewiston, the latest move in a round of cost-saving measures as it refines its strategy to match shifting market demand for ammunition.

The 15 jobs being lost in Lewiston are in addition to another 15 salaried positions being cut in Anoka, Minn., Vista's other bullet-making factory, said Vista Outdoor spokeswoman Amanda Covington in an email. The positions being cut "support operations, purchasing and customer service," and the former staff members are receiving severance as well as help finding new employment, Covington said.

mold maker
03-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Just new bean counters flexing their job titles. Shows the boss they can be lean and mean as opposed to fat and happy, so they think.
Every Co that goes to new ownership sees it happen. It's not always good for the bottom line, but that is their job.

Soundguy
03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
need to let those go, instead run dedicated 22lr.

bedbugbilly
03-28-2017, 11:15 AM
C'mon . . . have you ever thought that all of us reloading are cutting into their sales? :-)

Seriously, no one likes to see layoffs and cutbacks but it is a fact of life when running a company and having to keep in the red. I agree with the production of 22 ammo though. I haven't shot any since the shortage and all my 22s have either been "parked" or sold. I'd go back to it if 22 ammo were available like it used to be and at a reasonable price.

But, gun sales have increased and one would think the demand for ammunition would as well . . .

44man
03-28-2017, 11:35 AM
To be expected after Obumbler. he was the best salesman for guns and ammo ever.
I agree to bring back cheap 22 ammo.
But all companies that are bought out are under the gun to make money. Usually the company goes belly up. Many of our gun makers and ammo makers are under one owner.

popper
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Chaange of ownership always reduces the 'old' management and those close to retirement. They are doing a plant expansion which means new equipment, fewer workers required. US manufacturing got caught in the 70-80s by not replacing old machines, so Orient that had new machines got the business. Partially caused by 'old' management and US tax structure. Pushed manufacturing overseas where they had new machines. I suspect the rise of 223 for general use vs the 22LR has had a big influence on profitability of 22LR. Quality of 22LR has decreased (got to keep the PM up) and usage has gone down. Why run machines for low PM ammo when the markup for 9 & 223 is much higher?

44man
03-28-2017, 12:36 PM
What took 100 workers now takes one with a machine. Cars are made by robots. We are obsolete.

onceabull
03-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Beginning to be darn obvious why the top Management at the old ATK decided to spin out Vista O. Firms of that size can/do contract with the top financial analysis advisors B4 making that sort of move..!! Those who didn't sell Vista O. in the $40';s mayhap avoid mistakes like that in the future... On ceabull

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-28-2017, 01:31 PM
To be expected after Obumbler. he was the best salesman for guns and ammo ever.
I agree to bring back cheap 22 ammo.
But all companies that are bought out are under the gun to make money. Usually the company goes belly up. Many of our gun makers and ammo makers are under one owner.
yep, with Trump at the helm and the GOP controlling both houses (kinda), gun sales and ammo sales will drop, they are just preparing for the lean times.

mold maker
03-29-2017, 12:44 PM
What took 100 workers now takes one with a machine. Cars are made by robots. We are obsolete.

Some one has to earn a paycheck in order for them to sell what the robot makes.
Until the robots start making purchases, we will still be essential.

mcdaniel.mac
03-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Some one has to earn a paycheck in order for them to sell what the robot makes.
Until the robots start making purchases, we will still be essential.
But how are people going to earn a paycheck when robots are doing all the production work?

merlin101
03-29-2017, 01:02 PM
But how are people going to earn a paycheck when robots are doing all the production work?
Carry an oil can around?

TES
03-29-2017, 01:16 PM
This is industry wide unfortunately. We have seen huge drops in production on our end due to a lack of demand as well as dropping prices. At a certain point its just not worth it and changes need to happen.

starmac
03-29-2017, 06:14 PM
I would imagine demand dropped along with the size of their orders along about election day. This coming off a good, no great run of record high sales for 8 years.

If I was a betting man I would bet that in the last 8 years, they have added way more emoloyees than the 10% that was laid off, it is just business.

Plate plinker
03-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Carry an oil can around?
You have that right robot and computer machine maintenance. Good money me thinks.

Petrol & Powder
03-29-2017, 06:30 PM
You have that right robot and computer machine maintenance. Good money me thinks.

YEP /\ Adapt or die.

Container shipping killed off Longshoremen but opened up jobs for container crane operators, crane maintenance workers, Yard truck drivers, train yard workers, long distance drivers, computer techs, security staff, etc.

Times change, you've got to change with them.

As for the demand for ammo, it's going to take a nosedive but I'd rather have that problem than have Hillary in the Whitehouse.