PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs pro melt

ShrnShndl
03-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Got a new to me pro melt and it is half full of an unknown alloy. Is there a safe way to drain it ? I have read you need to leave 1 1/2 '' of melt in the pot but but I don't know if it is true.

Thanks,
Jim

shoot-n-lead
03-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Got a new to me pro melt and it is half full of an unknown alloy. Is there a safe way to drain it ? I have read you need to leave 1 1/2 '' of melt in the pot but but I don't know if it is true.

Thanks,
Jim

I would just make bullets out of it.

dragon813gt
03-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Yes, turn it on, let it melt and then open the spout to drain. They don't come preflilled w/ lead from RCBS.

Hardcast416taylor
03-28-2017, 03:00 PM
When ready to drain the pot I would do a fluxing first. Adjust the stop bolt higher on the handle control on the pot top for a larger flow of lead thru the nozzle.Robert

bajacoop
03-28-2017, 03:28 PM
You normally leave them partially full to lessen the chance of crud getting in the spout and plugging it up.

Smk SHoe
03-29-2017, 09:23 PM
It is just easier to get the pot hot if there is some lead in the bottom. You can empty the pot and clean it up. Will just take a little longer to melt the next load

Walter Laich
03-30-2017, 08:49 PM
I let the lead melt then pour it out over the top. Wouldn't do this on a full pot but if it's a few inches at the bottom not a big deal.
might want to practice on a cold pot if you're worried about how it will go

Taterhead
03-31-2017, 11:42 AM
If you do empty the pot, id open the flow wide open then turn off the furnace, then pour. Fluxing first is great advice.

RCBS has an empty pot startup procedure. I forgot the details, but can find my instructions later if you want.

ShrnShndl
03-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the help. I don't know what was in the pot, the sides were yellow and the alloy had all kinds of colors in it. Pot works great and for the price I would buy another one. They are a pleasure to use.

Greg S
03-31-2017, 05:04 PM
http://rcbs.com/Resources/Product-Instructions.aspx

You can download the Pro Melt instructions here^

Basically turn it on at the lowest temp, 650° F and allow the lead to melt. When re-starting an empty pot, line the interior walls with lead bars and turn on at 650. Allow the lead to melt them add as muchnas you want.

The info above about melting the remainder in the pot at 650, fluxing and then unplugging prior to empty sound pretty good so the pot doen't try to cycle.

gondwana
04-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Bought my RCBS Pro Melt a few years ago, works great. I leave a full load of melted lead in there between casting sessions, the bugs and crud out of the pot. I only use 5/5/90 so it's always ready to go when I start a new casting session.