PDA

View Full Version : Oak Ridge TN

Boz330
03-27-2017, 10:00 AM
I just got back from the Mid and Long Range match at Oak Ridge. If you shoot a Gibbs rifle or LR ML you should give this match a shot. The distances are 200, 300, 600, and 1000yd. The match is geared toward the beginning LR shooter with generous times for 10 rounds for score. Everyone is very helpful and they have a club house to die for and a BBQ diner the first evening of the match which is also terrific. Medals are awarded for 1,2,&3 in each match and top 5 aggregate.

Bob

aspangler
03-27-2017, 10:26 AM
UMMM. Only live an hour and half from there. Why have I never heard of this before?

54bore
03-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Wish i lived closer!

C. Latch
03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
I live less than an hour from there and would love to spend a Saturday there. Never have time to plan that sort of day in advance then be sure the weather will co-operate.

TCLouis
03-28-2017, 12:06 AM
Anyone have a link/website for this?

Boz330
03-28-2017, 08:02 AM
Here is a match summary from the match director Rick Weber. I'll post his e-mail.

30 matches over 20 years, time does not do it justice as it's has just flown by. This year we were blessed with some great weather both days (but a little windy, to say the least). 29 shooters gathered at the Oak Ridge Sportsman Association in Tennessee to shoot their Long Range Muzzleloaders at distances from 200-1000 yards. Recreating the same shooting that was done in the 1850-70's climaxing in the 1st International Long Range shooting match ever held in 1874. The match was held in Creedmoor, Long Island with over 10,000 spectators. Our match this weekend was close to that, we'll not the 10,000 in attendance watching - only with the respects to competitive shooting. We did have shooters from Canada attend and as far away as South Dakota (and South Florida). Day one as nice and in the 50's and breezy all day, but when the 200 yard relays were over, it was:
1st - Bob Boswell (OH) who finished on top with a score of 99-2x
2nd - Joe Hill (President of the NMLRA) with a 98-3x (good to see him out shooting again)
3rd - Jason Day (IN) who also posted a 98-3x
Moving to 300 for the afternoon relays and the temperature in the low 70's:
1st - Art Fleener (IA) posted a 95-3x
2nd - Bryce Harper (KS) with a 95
3rd - Rick Weber (Match Host) with a 94-2x
These were 1 hour relays, shooting prone with x-stick of sling and/or wrist rest. Shooters required to shoot 10 consecutive shots at a standard NRA HP target.

After Day 1 was over, all shooters, wives and some guest (former shooters) all gathered in the clubhouse for a nice catered dinner. Awards for the day were given out and the medal winners are required to give a brief description of their rifle, load, etc.. All in the name of sportsmanship, growth and allowing others to possibly ask for assistance at a later time.

Day 2 was bright and sunny - sun was directly in the eyes and although wind was somewhat calm, the first relay struggled. Then the wind picked up where it left off yesterday - crazy.. But, like I say - I'll take anything but rain.

600 yards in the morning was topped by:
1st - Dave Munch (OH) with a 86-1x
2nd - Bob Wetzler (IN) with a 85-2x
3rd - Jason Day (IN) with a 84-2x

The afternoon relays at 1000 were going to be interesting -as they alway are, this time with unseen wind during our matches:
1st - Bill Shulaw (SD) with a 74-1x (Bill is formerly from OH and has shot with us many times, he now resides in SD)
2nd - Art Fleener (IA) posting a 70-x
3rd - Joe Beeker (OH) getting a medal with a 67

These were the lowest scores in recent memory as not one single shooter was able to put 10 consecutive shots on at 1000 - we have never seen such in 20 years. So, really some nice shooting considering the conditions.

Closing ceremony occurred just after the completion of the match.
Overall Winner - Bill Shulaw
2nd - Dave Munch
3rd - Joe Beeker
4th - Jason Day
5th - Kenn Heismann

Contrants and Thanks to all who attended (and traveled many hours) as many complementary comments continued and it wouldn't be possible without the great people who attend.
Results are attached in two forms, photo and excel spreadsheet - look for the 3 17 tab.
Thanks
Rick

Boz330
03-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Rick Weber's e-mail; : rsscweber@mindspring.com (http://webmail.earthlink.net/wam/MsgReply?msgid=42491&action=reply&style=html&title=Reply&x=317935401)
Contact him to get on the e-mail list for the match next year. Applications go out in Jan IIRC.

Bob

C. Latch
03-28-2017, 08:35 AM

http://www.orsaonline.org/

edit:

I see that you're in middle TN. You know there's a 1200 yard range there now, right? I'm going to try to join when we move. It's near Henry Horton park.

http://www.strategicedge.us/gun-range

Chill Wills
03-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Hello Bob, I am looking for you on the scoreboard. I only see one Bob and he is from Ohio. I see Kenn Heismann, KY... He is the only one listed from KY
I want to see how you did and congratulate you.

That is a great event. I wish I were 2000 miles closer.192062

Boz330
03-29-2017, 08:34 AM
Hello Bob, I am looking for you on the scoreboard. I only see one Bob and he is from Ohio. I see Kenn Heismann, KY... He is the only one listed from KY
I want to see how you did and congratulate you.

That is a great event. I wish I were 2000 miles closer.192062

Mike,
I'm 3rd from left kneeling. Kenn and I both shoot with a bunch from OH but we both live in KY although originally fro OH. Not sure why Rick has it listed that way unless it is because I usually ask to be on a squad with Kenn or some of the guys from OH.
I think that I was around 8th overall which I'm really tickled with. Friday the winds were gusting to 30 and really squirrelly on Sat as well. I'm not very good at reading wind so I was happy that my WAGs worked out for the most part. There are some pretty good shooters who were all struggling so I felt like I was in good company. Thanks.

Bob

Chill Wills
03-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Okay, It was the Ohio error that got me confused. You are in front of Dave Munch.
I that was you and the state through me off.

So now that I have the scores figured out, I can congratulate you! You did shoot well.
Leading the pack at the 200y line with a 99.... clearly your rifle and load shoot well and you are a hard holder.

:D

I have not shot that match for a number of years tho it only seems like a few.
Is Kenn shooting Joe Hepsworth's Charlies Ingram? I never heard where Joe's rifle went.

Thinking about this really makes me want to get back and shoot this great match again.

Boz330
03-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Dave is the token liberal in our group, don't tell him I said, other than that he is a good guy.
Kenn is shooting the Ingram and quite well. He took 9 medals and 3 aggregate plates in the World Shoot at Camp Butner in 15. Did you know Dick Hoff? Dick had to do a fair amount of repair to get the Ingram functional since none of the screw threads were standard and the nipple was shot. That was the only gun in Kenn's price range that Joe had, but he did it proud and continues to.
Believe it or not the load I shoot in the Gibbs is the first load I picked, the first day I shot it. 95gr of 1.5 Kik, which is what I had on the shelf, shot so good at 300yd I never looked back. I'm going to look at OE when the Kik runs out but till then I ain't going to fix what ain't broke.

Bob

Lead pot
03-29-2017, 03:37 PM
It's good to see some young shooters in that lineup.
I been procrastinating building a rifle for this game. I have the lock, barrel a bunch of iron parts left and a wood plank that has been leaning on the shed wall since the 80's. It should be seasoned by now :)

dondiego
03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
If it has truly been leaning, it might have a natural cast to the stock!

Lead pot
03-29-2017, 05:29 PM
The plank is a 4"X10"or 12X 6-7 foot Walnut. I haven't looked at it for a while but it's leaning just enough that it don't fall over. I will have to look at it once.
Kurt

ResearchPress
04-08-2017, 02:46 AM
I have Rick's match report and results from the recent long range muzzle loading match at Oak Ridge on line. The results helpfully include rifle and load details of competitors. Oak Ridge - 24/25 March 2017 - on Google+ (Research Press) (https://plus.google.com/+ResearchPress/posts/42jQg5vQtaJ) - and on facebook (Research Press)
(https://www.facebook.com/ResearchPress/posts/1469546126431398)
David

charlie b
04-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks for that link. Interesting to see the different bullet/load/lube/pp that each of them uses.

DIRT Farmer
04-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Congrats on your shooting Boz, while the bunch was in Oak Ridge I was not far away in Pell Mell TN shooting the Alvin York. I can tell you that the wind was pushing a 40 ball around.