PDA

View Full Version : Which 9mm bullet?

mjkonopka
03-26-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering which 9mm bullet I should cast and load for general plinking and USPSA. I'm just looking to have fun shooting matches, not looking to shoot competitively yet. I'm looking for a light shooting load for quicker follow up shots. Does 147gr bullets shoot lighter than 115gr?

Plate plinker
03-26-2017, 10:03 PM
I shoot light loads for USPSA 9MM. 115 or 124's? 9MM doesn't generally make major and I am not sure if its even allowed to make major anymore. All you need is enough power to knock over pepper poppers and other metal stuff.

mjkonopka
03-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Do you cast your Boolits for USPSA?

Plate plinker
03-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Some for 45acp and starting in with 40sw and 9mm too. I used to shoot the matches a fair bit. Now I am getting more time I will be attempting to go more often again. Also started doing GSSF. They Glock people like to give away a lot of money and guns.

For the 45 acp I run the H&G 68 (200 gr swc) Cuts huge holes in the paper targets and make major easily. My 40 was whatever I could get my hands on, but usually 155 swc in a glock 23 and now 35.

Now I have a 9mm I can run in production so am looking at that too.
My other 9mm is a 1911 for just steel challenge.

mjkonopka
03-26-2017, 10:28 PM
What is GSSF? Do you use 124gr Boolits for your light loads? I'm trying to decide which mould I should get for 9mm.

Plate plinker
03-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Glock shooting sport Foundation. Only Glocks allowed its more fun than you would think.

The 9mm stuff ....it really matter on what you are going to do with it. Also the weight of the bullet will not matter a whole lot regarding recoil since you are handling and can adjust your charge. With the 9mm in production class all you have to make it the minimum power factor if my memory is correct. It has been a few years since I read the rule book.

wbrco
03-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Don't shoot any competitive, but the Lee 124 2R TL casts small. I've leemented and now beagled it, but haven't tested.

I just bought a Lee 358 125 rn. Nice fat bullet, and sized to .358. Have to seat it all the way to the crimp groove to pass the plunk test, but rough measuring says that's about the same as the top groove of TL. It really comes out after sizing about 128 gr with COWW.

Working up ladder loads with Blue Dot, HS6, and HP-38. May try Red Dot and Universal at a later time. It also cast near perfect bullet right out of the box.

JBinMN
03-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Don't shoot any competitive, but the Lee 124 2R TL casts small. I've leemented and now beagled it, but haven't tested.

I am not disputing "your" situation with that mold, but I had the other problem of casting too large sometimes using that mold. Some came out just fine, others large. I am using only Clip on WW's though so, that might be the difference. Some cast large enough that I decided to order a .356 sizing die to be able to use them in a 9mm.

Just thought to mention this, since I did not have to do anything to change the mold, but just got a die to size them down, if necessary, although the OP may not want to do that either, since those molds are supposed to "cast to size", if I am not mistaken. Regardless, I like that mold & size/type, so am happy to shoot them 124-2R boolits so far.

Perhaps you might want to try a different alloy type, next time, to see if that might correct the cast boolits? I realize you have already modified the one ya have, but it was just a thought to mention. Might be easier to modify/ change alloy(s), than do the other mods to the mold.
:)

As far as the OP. Other than the 356-124 2R, that has now been mentioned, I also got a 356-102 1R to use for a .380 or 9mm as well. Although I have not shot it in the 9mm yet, it was my intention to have a double duty mold for either auto. Perhaps you may want to consider a mold that is a bit lighter than the 115-124 you mentioned in your OP, & if you have/get a .380 pistol you can use it for both. { I am not sure about the shooting competitions you speak of, so I don't know if a smaller mold would be helpful.. }

Just thought I would mention some of my thoughts. G'Luck! with whatever ya decide to do!

Moonie
03-27-2017, 11:34 PM
I have a nice mold from Accurate Molds, 147Y. It is a straight sided powder coat boolit. They do have reduced recoil compared to lighter weight boolits.

wbrco
03-28-2017, 09:26 AM
I am not disputing "your" situation with that mold, but I had the other problem of casting too large sometimes using that mold. Some came out just fine, others large. I am using only Clip on WW's though so, that might be the difference. Some cast large enough that I decided to order a .356 sizing die to be able to use them in a 9mm.

Just thought to mention this, since I did not have to do anything to change the mold, but just got a die to size them down, if necessary, although the OP may not want to do that either, since those molds are supposed to "cast to size", if I am not mistaken. Regardless, I like that mold & size/type, so am happy to shoot them 124-2R boolits so far.

Perhaps you might want to try a different alloy type, next time, to see if that might correct the cast boolits? I realize you have already modified the one ya have, but it was just a thought to mention. Might be easier to modify/ change alloy(s), than do the other mods to the mold.

As far as the OP. Other than the 356-124 2R, that has now been mentioned, I also got a 356-102 1R to use for a .380 or 9mm as well. Although I have not shot it in the 9mm yet, it was my intention to have a double duty mold for either auto. Perhaps you may want to consider a mold that is a bit lighter than the 115-124 you mentioned in your OP, & if you have/get a .380 pistol you can use it for both. { I am not sure about the shooting competitions you speak of, so I don't know if a smaller mold would be helpful.. }

Just thought I would mention some of my thoughts. G'Luck! with whatever ya decide to do!
No, it's just that my BHP needs phat bullets. .357 or larger. Typical of Grand Puissant. Bonus is that they shoot good in my .38/.357. My NMBH really needs .359. But does OK @ 358.

Shingle
06-10-2017, 09:49 AM
NOE 358135 RNFP gas check at 1050 fps out of glock 34 has treated me very well, shoots soft. knocks the heck out of varmits, and feeds perfect out of every one of my 10 9mm guns.

autopilotmp
06-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Shooting the Lee 356 124 tc over 4.2 gr unique in a rock island 1911 it will activate steel good as any 9mm. I previously was loading it over 3.9 gr but my dad's sr9 would ftf occasionally with the lighter charge. Super accurate out of both guns. Used both PC and conv lube. Slug your barrel first because you may find you need 357 or even 358 and Lee is not known for oversized boolits, I had to open the cavities up on this mold so that I could sIze to 357actually I needed to open it up just to get to 356 anywhere but the parting line. Would suggest using a 124 or heavier if shooting steel you can load them down a little while making minor pf and also have meat to knock down the plates. If you do need bigger than 356 you should consider not Lee or Lee 358 molds that some have suggested.

farmerjim
06-10-2017, 03:43 PM
I have to throw in my favorite 9mm ( and 38-357 when sized to .359) The Lee 358-125-RF. It needs to be seated a little deep for some 9s so work up to your load. I powder coat or Hi-Tek all of mine.

dragon813gt
06-10-2017, 05:27 PM
This is my jack of all trades bullet: https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/molds/hollow-points-molds/mp-359-125-hp-pb

I have it in a bunch of different versions. I usually cast w/ a non HP that drops them at 135 grains. It's an inherently accurate bullet in my guns. It sees a lot of use in 357 guns as well.

zomby woof
06-11-2017, 08:24 AM
LEE 356-120 works well in all my 9mm and 38 S. It is a little snappy when loaded to make PF. The LEE 356-125 2R only works well in one of my 9's. It is a good plinking boolit and works well in local matches. I have a Lyman 147 that casts heavy (153) that shoots very well.

RMII
06-11-2017, 09:16 AM
I tried the Lee 356 124 tc for my Sig p226, but was getting keyholes. After slugging the barrel (.356) it quickly became apparent that I needed a fatter boolitic closer to 358.

When I load. 358 boolits in 9mm, I now need to open the case mouth to accept them and not get shaved or smashed. Still working on finding a powder through expanding die that will work with my dillon xl650.

DougGuy
06-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Whatever boolit you settle on, if you look in your barrel and see rifling going right down to the chamber mouth and no freebore, plan on fighting it to get loads to plunk or throating it and seat ever how long you want. Autoloaders need freebore so the ogive of the boolit enters the throat when the round is chambered. Most don't have enough freebore and the freebore they have won't accept a .358" which is the most common size for use with 9mm. Fairly common issue, easy fix.

Smk SHoe
06-11-2017, 06:00 PM
I us the lee 124 grain TC. I have 2 of the six gang molds. Rotate molds while casting. Once PC'd, cycles in all my 9mm. Usually sitting over 3.9 grains of Bullseye.

fredj338
06-12-2017, 03:18 PM
If you are trying to stay within min power factor for gun games, a heavier bullet going slow will give you less recoil & still run the gun properly. Most guys I know competing are using heavy for caliber bullets in 9mm. That starts with 147gr & some are even going to 160-165gr going slow. My own 9mm minor loads use the Saeco 147gr RN. I size all my 9mm to 0.357" for best accuracy across several 9mm barrels.