PDA

View Full Version : Automated Star sizer?

pergoman
03-26-2017, 07:09 PM
I am just shooting too much to keep working that handle manually so I have decided to automate my Star sizer. I know some of the very creative and talented members here have done it and I am asking for guidance. I have watched the Youtube videos and want one. What I don't know is what motor, gearbox, etc I need to have it run properly. I don't have any of these components lying around so I would like to buy the right stuff the first time. Thanks in advance.

No_1
03-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Visit our Vendor Sponsor forum or get in touch with Hatch (Charles) as he can point you in the correct direction and also offers controllers for automation.

bstone5
03-26-2017, 09:22 PM
There is a lot of info with regard to automating the star sizer in the Star Equipment section.
I ready the material available in the Star section and was able to automate my star sizer with out too much difficulty.
I used an air cylinder for the stroking of the star. There is a link in the Star section of a movie I made showing the machine running.
I have sized thousands of powder coated bullets with no lube with the automated Star sizer.

pergoman
03-27-2017, 10:14 AM
I was also considering using a belt and pulley reduction drive system. The belt could slip if something went wrong rather than break some valuable part. Motors, pulleys and belts are cheap and available.