PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tap the Mold?

Josh Smith
03-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Hello,

I discovered, while casting pure lead, that I get better fill out if I rapidly but lightly tap the bolt that hinge the handles while the boolits are hardening.

Additionally, the sprue falls off or at least cuts much easier.

Boolit weights are very consistent.

Anyone else do this?

Regards,

Josh

WHITETAIL
03-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Yes, It is OK to tap the bolt at the hinge.
Their will be times that the boolit will hang up
when you are in the middle of a pour.:redneck:

Spector
03-26-2017, 06:54 PM
I have done this as the boolit hardens and the sprue is still molten. Very fast tiny taps, but not hard enough to detach the sprue.

Mike

bedbugbilly
03-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Everybody has their own ways of doing things. Whether I'm pouring small or large RB or a hollow base .58 caliber minie ball, I have never found the need. With my propane heated hot plate, 10# pot and bottom pour ladle and a hot mold, they come out just fine and cutting sprues with a quick movement of the hand has always worked well. But if tapping works well for you, then by all means, there is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Victor N TN
03-26-2017, 08:39 PM
On most molds I give them a little "love tap", with a oak maul about 7 or 8 pounds worth.

JohnH
03-26-2017, 09:23 PM
I used to shake the mold (kinda like a giggle) as it was filling seemed to help, but apparently not so much that I would keep doing it as a regular thing because I don't do that anymore

GARD72977
03-26-2017, 09:27 PM
I used to shake the mold (kinda like a giggle) as it was filling seemed to help, but apparently not so much that I would keep doing it as a regular thing because I don't do that anymore
Love this post. Sounds like most of my life

Leadmelter
03-28-2017, 07:32 PM
My old frat moto was " I TAPPA KEG"
Leadmelter
MI

whisler
03-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Sounds like my frat parties. One of our frat. alums owned a Budweiser distributorship. We always drank Michelob.