PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Puma 38/357 problem

larry h
07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I've had a '92 Puma 38/357 for 4/5 years now. I've only put 30/40 rounds through it. (I guess), the extractor/ejector is tearing or notching the rim. I'm assuming the brass is being pulled out very hard?? I do not want to keep wrecking brass.
Also, what would be the OAL for using 38spcl and have it cycle properly? Any info would be greatly appreciated. There are no gunsmiths around where I live. Thank You. R/Larry

Pepe Ray
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Very unusual.
Are you sure its the rim being damaged? Ordinarily it's the mouth of the case that gets whacked. This is caused by a much too strong ejector spring.
Pepe Ray

KCSO
07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
If it is pulling in the rim check the case dimensions and make sure it isn't bulging the cases a little. It only takes a little bulge to make the case pull hard. If it is denting the rim at the bottom that is too strong a spring in the ejector and you need to take it to a gunsmith as that isn't a home job for most folks. But remember Legacy/Puma does have an excelent warranty and they could fix it for free, write them a nice letter and see.

Junior1942
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Check your chamber for rust and for fouling build up from where you fired the short 38 brass in the long 357 chamber.

freedom475
07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I have a puma 480ruger. It also damages the rims of my brass. I always thought the brass was being damaged on closing not extraction.

About length....If I don't use a real long nose boolit, .430 crimp to nose, The round goes high and sticks in the chamber and the action won't close. There's no way I could use a shorter case, such as a 38 special in the 357, in my puma.

I hope a more educated person than I steps in and tells us what to file or reshape.

Old Ironsights
07-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Go Here: stevesgunz.com

And either order the very easy to follow DVD or send the gun to Steve. IIRC removing a bit of metal from the extractoris one of the things tat you "should" do to a newer Rosi...

runfiverun
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
could also go over to paco kelly's leverguns web site and e-mail nate "kiowa" jones.
all he works on is 92's.
he is also a very good guy, he will often help on the board.

Old Ironsights
07-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Same guy.... ;)

Morgan Astorbilt
07-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Larry,
The extractor is actually a heavy flat spring pivoting on a cross pin in the bolt. Knock the pin out, remove the extractor, and grind the spring section a bit thinner. Polish the front of the hook and reinstall. This is a common "tune up" done with '92's used in cowboy action shooting. Lightening the ejector spring and mainspring, and polishing the bolt-receiver surfaces complete the job.
Morgan