PDA

View Full Version : Bought wheelwieghts today! Good On Me!

The Dust Collector
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
The grandsons were at my house today. I love taking them for a ride in the wagon and they love it too! Anyhow, we stopped at the Goodyear tire shop and asked if I could buy some WWs. Mike said sure. How much do I want? I said. How much do you have to have for them? He told me that about a month ago that he took what he had down to the junk yard and was given
$.65 a pound. He thought that he might as well give the junk man a call and see what they would give him today. The junk man said $.50 a pound. Mike said he would give them to me for $.40 a pound because it would save him the trouble of having to cart them around. I took home two 85 pound bucket for an even $65. Nice guy that Mike! 170 pounds raw WWs should yeild about 110 pounds of nice BOOLITS. The really good thing is that, I have not found any zink or any foriegn crap mixed in. Just good WWs!!!
BTW. The wagon that I pull the kids in is one that I made myself and it is plenty big and strong enough for the job. An extra 170 pounds to pull is getting a little harder on me. I had a real swet worked up by the time we got back to my house. I guess I'll have to make a run with my pickup truck and return the two buckets now. No, I not going to walk back!!! Catch ya later....

copdills
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Good Deal, wish I could find some around here myself LOL GOOD LUCK

DLCTEX
07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Makes me appreciate getting them free! DALE

Tom W.
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
So far I've gotten 88 ingots (@ approx 1 lb. each) from my last batch of w/w and still have a bit more to melt... I have found a few stick-on zinc and a few regular zinc, but not a whole lot. This last batch had a LOT of small weights..seems like more clip than weight!
I got a new dutch oven at the Flea market Last Saturday, so casting ingots is a lot faster now. I bought a strainer from Wal-mart and liberated a bigger ladle from the kitchen....

mike in co
07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Makes me appreciate getting them free! DALE

i should be careful what i say but,

mine are free....and delivered to my house!

mike in co

Sprue
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I had made good friends over the years with the manager at the local tire store here. I had been taking my co truck to them for the last 12 years...... the guy retired last winter.:(

Ahhh... its fun to scrounge around anyway.

Now lets go to the range.

USARO4
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Seems like obtaining WW is getting harder and more expensive every day. I stocked up with about 6000-7000lbs when I first got into this hobbyabout 7 years ago. Most of my stash was free or traded for beverages. The most I ever paid was 10 cents a pound. Ah the good old days.

Down South
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
It sounds like you had a great day plus plenty of fun. All of the WW that I've got in the past few months have been free. There is one place in Ms that I need to get back to. The owner there was letting me buy his WW for $20 a bucket full. He may go up on his price since I haven't been there for six months or so. Lead prices have went crazy since then. I don't think that there are that many casters around my area is why I'm so lucky, yes lucky in finding as much WW as I do.
Next week I have to go to school for five days in a town that I haven't been to in years. I'm carrying a few empty buckets with me so I can do a little scrounging.

targetshootr
07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Those first buckets of ww were a blast to find and three years later I have more than I'll ever need, most of them free. But I still keep empty buckets in both vehicles in case I see a tire shop and my eyes glaze over. Again.

:castmine:

hershey
07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
the word is out around here, about the only ww's to be found here is at the scrap yard. it is certainly not worth the investment of fuel to go looking for them, i have had sucess in the scrap yard they usually got several buckets full. i just checked the bin at cleveland scrap today, they had a bunch of stuff that was in ingot form that was probably ww, they are .75 cents a pound, it can be found cheaper.

EMC45
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm with Dale on this one. FREE!!!!!!

The Dust Collector
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
The scrap dealer in town is very antigun! He will not sell any form of lead to anyone but a commercial smelter. So once he gets it, IT'S GONE.

P.S. I never mentioned the reason that I wanted lead, he just assumed and commenced to issue a biased and unwelcomed opinion. Needless to say, I'm not going there again for any reason. A.H!

jleneave
07-10-2008, 05:45 AM
The scrap dealer in town is very antigun! He will not sell any form of lead to anyone but a commercial smelter. So once he gets it, IT'S GONE.

P.S. I never mentioned the reason that I wanted lead, he just assumed and commenced to issue a biased and unwelcomed opinion. Needless to say, I'm not going there again for any reason. A.H!

You never know when you might run into an anti-gun person and there are buisnesses that may not sell/give WW if they knew that they were going to be used for bullets for fear of a lawsuit. I usually tell most places, unless I know the person, that I am using them to cast jigs for bass fishing, which is not a total lie. I do have the intention of casting some jigs, I just haven't got around to getting a mold for them yet. Just thought that little piece of info might help you out with the anti-gun crowd.

Jody

Down South
07-10-2008, 08:26 AM
You never know when you might run into an anti-gun person and there are buisnesses that may not sell/give WW if they knew that they were going to be used for bullets. I
I get asked from time to time what I'm going to use the WW for. Most of the time I tell them that I'll be casting fishing sinkers. That's not a lie. I've cast hundreds of pounds of sinkers from WW. I reserve my range scrap and stick on WW for sinkers now and only use my clip on WW for sinkers when I have to.

Tom W.
07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I just got back from a dealer and although he didn't ask me for a specific amount, I gave him $20 for an overflowing 5 gallon bucket full of w/w... That should keep me for a year or so, considering my work hours and what I already have cast into ingots....

targetshootr
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I used to carry a 44 slug in my pocket to show guys in new places what I was need ww for. Most of the time they wanted to know how it was done. A couple of times they would laugh and say, "as long as you don't shoot anyone!".

Hipshot
07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
USARO4,
You say you have 6-7000 pounds of wheel weights stockpiled---------well you better get busy casting and shooting ! I got out the calculator and 7000 lbs of lead (I know you won't get 7000 pounds of usable lead out of the wheel weights!) but it should make you app. 245,000 200 gr. bullets !

Now that's a lot of shootin' !!!!!

Hipshot

RustyFN
07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Most of the time I tell them that I'll be casting fishing sinkers.
I just tell them the truth. If they don't want to give them to me because I'm making bullets then I will just get them some place else. I haven't had any problems yet.
Rusty

remy3424
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Scored about 4 & 1/2 gallons of ww today for $.20 per pound, on the honor system. I have to weight them and settle-up tomorrow. I think I might try to score a couple more buckets if they will part with any more. A lot tougher finding them then I ever thought it would be!!

USARO4
07-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Hipshot, You're right about that. I figure I've got a lifetime supply. So far I'm still working on turning them into ingots, about 500lbs done so far. It truly is a labor of love. I also stockpiled 700lbs of pure from a hospital remodel and bought 200lbs of precious linotype from a dealer at 75 cents a pound. Its my hedge against inflation or a liberal government.

Hang Fire
07-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Good buy and the grandkids had a good time too.

I was at a metal sales/recycling outlet the other day, got 60 lbs of soft lead for my front loaders at $1.00 lb. Consider it high, but as it is getting harder and harder to come by may prove a bargain in long run.

DLCTEX
07-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I probably have enough WW to last me the rest of my life, but if I ever retire I may shoot a lot more, plus I have grand children coming up, so who knows how much I may need in the future. I will continue to stockpile. If I depart before I shoot it all, my family has been made aware of the value of ingots. Dale

Tom W.
07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Dale, you wouldn't SHARE with the rest of us when you're gone????

Bad Karma
07-14-2008, 01:26 AM
I have yet to pay for wheel weights. I just roll up to America's Tires and ask "Hey, can I get these 2 five gallon buckets filled with wheel weights"? I always walk away with gobbs of wheel weights for free.
I go 600 pounds of Lynotype the same way. I'm not going to run out of lead alloy for a long, long time

remy3424
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Are you holding the item that you're casting for when you ask???? Man, everyone wants paid around here, if they give them away, they never have many. You're lucky, keep milking that source!!!