PDA

View Full Version : 300 yard Prone

David R
11-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Here is my pride and Joy.

It was a sunday morning 300 yard prone match. Mostly AR15 type, One M1 garand, My daughter shooting a TC contender with 223 rifle barrel and stock.

I was shooting a remington 700 VL in 22-250

I was using 18 grains of SR4759. Boolit is 225646 weighing in around 57 grains of pure linotype. Lube is the red stuff I got from LAR45. Its 50/50 with carnuba wax added.
To get the accuracy I want, I have to weigh every charge. I also weighed the boolits within + or - .3 grains. The night before the match, I was weighing boolits and powder. I ran out of powder :( . I did end up with 25 good "Match" rounds. So I shot the first string of 20 with the not as good stuff to get my scope tuned in perfectly. I shot the second string with the good boolits and here is the target.

I have been neck sizing only for the last few months. The bolt was closing hard, and I figured out that was why. So I didn't worry about it too much until the bolt started opening hard too. I pulled the bolt out and saw It had a burr kicked up on the rear of one of the lugs. I stopped shooting 15 rounds into the second string. I didin't want to trash the bolt.

As it ended, my daughter beat me with the TC contender and she beat a few others there too.

The 10 ring measures 6", the X is around 3"

David

Char-Gar
11-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Like the crows in Dumbo..."I be done seen about everything, when I see a burr on a rifle lug". Those things are supposed to be hard and slick going into another place that is hard and slick. What could cause a burr on a locking lug?

felix
11-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Flying rocks. Can't be avoided for the most part, especially in an agriculture environment. ... felix

StarMetal
11-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Gaulding with raise a burr. If for some reason a hard chambering round or an excessive load....anything to cause hard openning of the bolt, with gauld it. Lack of lubricate comes to mind too. There should be a tad of lube on those lugs.

Joe

felix
11-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Use dry moly. Powder or evaporating spray. Use nothing to collect dust. ... felix

David R
11-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I polished the bolt lugs with a soft abrasive wheel on my dremel. I then marked the back of the lugs with a sharpie and worked the bolt. It seems to be engaging on both sides the same. Yes it did gall the right lug. :(

4 comments about my rifle, NONE on my fine cast boolit loading and shooting.

When I started shooting cast, I couldn't do that at 50 yards.

Guess I will have to pat my self on the back.

David

C1PNR
11-08-2005, 05:50 PM
I polished the bolt lugs with a soft abrasive wheel on my dremel. I then marked the back of the lugs with a sharpie and worked the bolt. It seems to be engaging on both sides the same. Yes it did gall the right lug. :(

When I started shooting cast, I couldn't do that at 50 yards.

Guess I will have to pat my self on the back.

David
Funny how that sometimes happens around here, no?:shock:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I think you did one heck of a fine job. Only .22 CF I have is an old Navy Arms copy of the Remington #5 or #9 in .22 Hornet. I can't remember for sure. It's the "Baby Rolling Block" they sold back in the late 60's or early 70's.

I wouldn't even attempt cast in it. I don't have the patience or skill for those tiny moulds.
Kudos to you, though, for a good job well done!:bigsmyl2:

bubblehead
11-09-2005, 01:45 AM
I will have to second C1NPR. That is a group I'd be happy with in any caliber.

I'm curious. Would you post some pics of those boolits & mould.

Buckshot
11-09-2005, 02:03 AM
.............David, a very fine effort on your part. I am really glad to hear that you had your daughter shooting with you. It's neat that she beat some other shooters, too. I don't know how old she is but for kids, they need to see some positive results on occasion or thier attention wanders off to somehting else.

.............Buckshot

David R
11-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks Folks :)

My daughter is now 17. She started shooting sporter rifle with me when she was quite young. I don't remember how old, but the first year she stood on a chair, rested the 22 on her left arm with her elbow on the station. The next year we took away the chair. The next year I made her hold the rifle up her self. The next year we took away the 50 foot timed and rapid target and gave her a 6 bull sporter target like the rest of were shooting.

Buckshot, it works both ways. I was divorced a while back, and my daughter was the one to get me back into shooting.

Sorry, no pic of the boolit, its a bore rider, tapered in the middle for the throat. See lyman 225646.

thanks
David

slughammer
11-10-2005, 09:18 PM

I thought it was your daughter's target...... you did say she whooped your butt!

fiberoptik
11-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi 5's & attaboys! My teen daughter only wants to shoot when I'm in front of her................Come to think about it, so does the wife............ :holysheep