PDA

View Full Version : Poor results

44man
03-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Joe came to shoot his Savage 30-06 That we had tried 3 different cast boolits in with 4350 that could not hold paper. I loaded more with 24 gr of 4198, 150, 173 and 187 gr. These shot very well down to 1-1/2" at 100.
We tried 4350 with Jacketed 165 gr bullets with the load of 57 gr that has worked perfect in every 06 I ever shot but it totally fails in this gun as do all the factory loads he has tried from 150 to 165.
Somting wong so I will have to study his rifle.
I took my old Swede down and shot a .345" group at 100. Batteries are dead in camera but will get a picture.
He offered me his new gun and a fistful of cash in trade but nobody will ever get this one. Made in 1919 and shoots like a BR gun.
Anyone have bedding problems with the newer Savages? I don't like the recoil lug that plugs in.

Yodogsandman
03-21-2017, 12:55 PM
I've heard that the no name scopes that come mounted on the new Savages have problems. They have problems maintaining zero.

44man
03-21-2017, 01:16 PM
This came with a Weaver so I am not sure.

nagantguy
03-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Interesting indeed 57 or so of h 4350 and 150-170 grain bullets is always a winner, always! Keep us posted on your findings!

44man
03-21-2017, 02:50 PM
I sure will, I am giving him some 4895 to test. I'm inclined to think it is a bedding issue. I will check it after the next time we shoot on Sat.

Jr.
03-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Slug the barrel, I had one that was turned from the wrong side .311 at the bore and .308 at the chamber. It is now a 7mm mag with a Schillen barrel.

Tackleberry41
03-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Some guns just do not like cast. I have a Stevens 30-30 bolt gun, it drills jacketed bullets, not so much with anything cast. Same bullets in another 30 cal are fine, its just that rifle.

nagantguy
03-21-2017, 04:10 PM
I've been thinking on this since I read this post earlier; gotta be a problem somewhere. Was hopping to find more info;sometimes a problem is as much fun or more than getting the rifle to shoot well and being done, I know my problem children get much more attention and range time, why shoot the rifle that shoots boring sub one inch groups all the time regardless of weather what's it's fed or if it's clean or dirty! On our last bear hunting trip in Canada buddy Dave bought a new rifle it was a savage he worked up a load shot the rifle slot over the summer, bear came to then air in September;bang, short track job ! Bear skin rug! It rained most days we were in camp and the finish on that brand new savage turned milky white,flaked off and the wood swelled and cracked along the barrel channel almost as we watched! Savage offered a new rifle or money back; he took the refund and bought a Remington 7600, anyhow my long point was Savage is good about standing by the arms they make! Sure hope you guys figure it out, as much fun as a sideways rifle is it drives me crazy and I can't work on or do anything else till it's figured proper!

modified5
03-21-2017, 04:10 PM
I have taken a couple of business cards and slipped them between the barrel and the stock and slid them back and forth until I found a sweet spot for groups.
Some rifles just seem to like a little barrel pressure.

44man
03-21-2017, 04:24 PM
I took a picture of the Swede I built. Cherry from my woods.191341
Hope you can make it larger.

44man
03-21-2017, 04:38 PM
I quit being in a hurry so time is needed. I learned sitting hours and hours checkering or carving that there is no hurry, we still get old at the same pace.
I just got out of bed and it is close to dark again. I will think about it a lot anyway but you have to stay tuned.
Carol asked Joe if he wanted to buy "HER" gun. His jaw dropped until she asked if he had enough for a Mozzaraty or however you spell it. My lady is not dumb.
Wolves slobber at my door but I am determined to outlive them all. They better have a rifle rest on my casket.

Mk42gunner
03-21-2017, 06:03 PM
Just for giggles, try some flat based jacketed 180's in Joe's '06. I have a 98a Mauser that shoots 150 grain factory (all brands) well and WW 180 Powerpoints exceptionally well, but it hates boattailed 165's. Never tried any cast in it, it is my I need to fill a tag today rifle.

1½" at 100 isn't bad in the real world, but I have come to expect better from most Savage 110s, no experience with the Axis models.

Robert

44man
03-21-2017, 06:38 PM
I never shot a boat tail. No need. Well, actually I did many but not my loads.
I will shoot his gun next time to see if he is the reason.

runfiverun
03-21-2017, 10:14 PM
some 0-6's don't like 4350.
I have had 4064 and Rl-19 outshoot all 3 of the 4350's on more than one occasion.

I just worked a load with RL-22 and 168gr nosler accu-bonds to see how the Bergara likes them.
the sierra 150's on top of I-4064 are pretty boring but extremely efficient.

the wife's 110 actually does rather well with either 46.5 or 48.0grs of I-4895 with 150's.
she can keep 50 shot groups under 1-1/2"s with the 46.5 gr load.
48.0 wears her down after 1-2 groups.

nagantguy
03-21-2017, 10:32 PM
I took a picture of the Swede I built. Cherry from my woods.191341
Hope you can make it larger.
i can almost feel the weight and balance in my hands! I as you might guess have an affinity for old mosin rifles but the most well balanced and accurate rifles with one exception I've owned and shot have been Mauser someone has spent time with, nice finish beautiful wood and mayhaps a touch of engraving

44man
03-22-2017, 09:34 AM
i can almost feel the weight and balance in my hands! I as you might guess have an affinity for old mowing rifles but the most well balanced and accurate rifles with one exception I've owned and shot have been Mauser someone has spent time with, nice finish beautiful wood and mayhaps a touch of engraving
Thank you, might be the best rifle I ever built with real fancy checkering. The gun in military form shot so good I had to build it up. Had a cherry tree fall in the woods so I planked it with a chainsaw. Aged and dried so it is stable. I built many customs but the one that scared me silly was a pre cut a friend wanted done. A $300 hunk of wood for a Springfield. Fear is a mistake. It came out perfect and shoots tiny groups. I put some fancy checkering on it too. God have mercy, you don't make mistakes.
I did change out the barrel on my Swede, pitted bad. Made the action wrench and barrel wrench to fit. Shortened the barrel, hand tools, no lathe at the time. Barrel crowned by hand.
I made many ML's from planks too with swamped barrels. 191402

44man
03-22-2017, 09:50 AM
I found store bought tools sucked so made my own. You can't carve with bought tools. I left ML stocks 1/8" thicker to carve and took the rest down to final.

nagantguy
03-22-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm not a flatter but you sir are an artist it's care, attention and skill that give certain rifles a "soul" as it were! I have a black walnut log that been in the barn for two years,if I do it right I thing there is two stocks in it, it's not fear but time that's kept me from attempting my first scratch stock build, you know the excuses;coming out of financial ruin 5 years ago, getting a abandoned farm up and working, running the family business and running a firearms training academy,kids, animals you know the little things that keep popping up!

44man
03-22-2017, 10:10 AM
I made all the brass parts and engraving tools to get this turkey. 191403 Life was crazy and I still wonder how I did things.

44man
03-22-2017, 10:39 AM
I'm not a flatter but you sir are an artist it's care, attention and skill that give certain rifles a "soul" as it were! I have a black walnut log that been in the barn for two years,if I do it right I thing there is two stocks in it, it's not fear but time that's kept me from attempting my first scratch stock build, you know the excuses;coming out of financial ruin 5 years ago, getting a abandoned farm up and working, running the family business and running a firearms training academy,kids, animals you know the little things that keep popping up!
So true. I had to go to work every day and to make time was a loss of sleep. I fixed TV's to 4 AM. I also mastered that with TV's in my garage from all over Ohio. People brought them hundreds of miles. Then gunsmith work.
Fellas here will never know. I never cheated anyone or charged a lot, they knew every single thing I did and a TV was fully set up even if it was a sound problem. Some said it was better then new. I set gray scale and color on all. How it spread across the state, I don't know.
You have some nice wood but time is lost every day. I understand. I look back and will never understand how I worked every day and still made stuff.

375RUGER
03-22-2017, 11:47 AM
If it is newer savage with plastic stock, they are very flexible. You have to pay close attention to how it rests on sand bags exactly the same with the same pressure each and every shot. It'll shoot but it has to be consistent. My son has one, '06 even, and this was my experience with it. I've only shot it from the bench developing loads.

44man
03-22-2017, 02:14 PM
It is a wood stock. I have to shoot it because Joe does not know how to be consistent. I tell him over and over but talk to a rock.

Uncle R.
03-22-2017, 02:41 PM
I have wrassled with a few rifles over the years that shot "won't stay on the paper" groups, and more often than not it was the scope. If the holes in the target from your favorite j-word loads are round, and slugging the bore didn't show any major weirdness, I'd swap out the scope and fire a few groups with one that's known to be good. I'd do all that before I got too far into messing with bedding.

Good luck and enjoy the chase!

Uncle R.

44man
03-23-2017, 09:41 AM
I have wrassled with a few rifles over the years that shot "won't stay on the paper" groups, and more often than not it was the scope. If the holes in the target from your favorite j-word loads are round, and slugging the bore didn't show any major weirdness, I'd swap out the scope and fire a few groups with one that's known to be good. I'd do all that before I got too far into messing with bedding.

Good luck and enjoy the chase!

Uncle R.
Could be but it shot cast as good as it gets. It shot one Rem factory load good but he bought an MTM box and mixed them up.