PDA

View Full Version : Redding Scale

Pressman
03-20-2017, 10:32 PM
The Redding powder scale cost $6.50 in 1946. It is the beginning of the Redding line. Cast iron frame with a single riser makes for a scale that is super, super sensitive. The beam seems to swing forever if not stopped with a pencil. The aluminum tag is fastened in place with a single rivet, allowing it to be swung aside for access to the weight cavity. The design looks good but in application it is too sensitive for general use. It was replaced in 1948.
Ken

country gent
03-21-2017, 12:44 AM
That's an interesting desighn. Ive never seen one like it. Thanks for showing it. With manufacturing techniques and equipment available in 1946 it would have been easy enough to make. The none dampened beam and having to set with weights would both be drawbacks. But now were spoiled with graduated beams, digital readouts, leveling screws and other fancy things. LOL

Pressman
03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
The next step in Redding scale design came in mid 1948 with what was to become the Model 1. It uses the same ID tag as the early scale but with a new frame design taken from the 40 year old Fairbanks scale. This one works. The beam is brass, not plated. It was replaced with a new frame a year later. That scale still had an un-plated beam but teh Redding name was now cast into the frame. It was followed by an identical scale with a plated beam. The next major upgrase was adding oil dampening about 1959, give or take.
Ken

Hardcast416taylor
03-26-2017, 12:20 PM
I got my first #1 scale from P&S Sales in Tulsa, Ok back in about 1960 for $9.95 + shipping, still have it and use it today. I got a brass beam model 1 at an estate sale for $5 as I recall and use it as well. Thanks for the history concerning this scale.Robert