PDA

View Full Version : First time testing with newsprint

Ateam
03-20-2017, 08:49 PM
My block of newsprint is (finally) no longer a frozen cube so I decided to escape for an hour or so today to give these 330grain gould HP a try. I shot a few into water earlier this winter, and either got fragments (too fast) or no expansion. Which leads me to believe I need a softer alloy, I am currently shooting something akin to WW+1% tin. So here are the results. Load is Lyman 457122 over 34g 4198 in old ww brass with std win primer. Shot out of a marlin 1985G at 50 yards.
You can see I winged the first one off the top and cut a nice groove in the wet newsprint, I forgot I was sighted for a much heavier boolit. I use an old flak vest (its Kevlar i think) to catch anything that makes it all the way through, ditto for water jug testing.
Good thing since the the next shot bored through 24inches of wet news print and embedded itself in the flack vest. No expansion on any of the shots, recovered one that looks like I could shoot it again.
This beauty is what I am aiming for, this is one that the vest caught after passing through three gallon jugs of water. Unfortunately, the entrance hole in the nylon cover of the vest is approx 45cal so the magic happened inside when the boolit encountered the Kevlar. Hardly a good simulation of a deer torso. I also ran a bunch of 9mm into the block to see how my first cast reloads work.... I need to slug my barrel or use a harder alloy but that is another post in and of itself. But the 124g xtp I use for a carry load performed nicely, so here is a pic of that. Browning Hi-power @ 25 feet.
-Ateam

Yodogsandman
03-21-2017, 01:13 AM
Thanks, a very informative post!

Wayne Smith
03-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Frankly, I never expected that little HP to expand in other than something like 30-1 or pure.

Ateam
03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
I am fairly new to casting, and have never tried to recover boolits before. I am wondering how to read the lube groove when it is retrieved. Is it supposed to be all gone? Half?

Wayne- I think that is where I will head form here, I was thinking 20-1, but might just head to 30-1 as you suggest. I will post more when I cast those and get them tested.... dont hold your breath.

Ateam
03-23-2017, 03:12 PM
I have a bunch of these harder alloy HP's cast up so I thought I might go a different route to get expansion going. Is this the best way to go? Probably not, but experimenting is fun. I also mixed up some 30:1, just have yet to sit down and cast another run. Why have I been buying top punches all these years?
Here is the end product.