PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

Sakoluvr
03-19-2017, 09:07 PM
I recently purchased some boolits from a known bullet company in .45 Colt. I noticed some boolits did not have lube completely around the lube groove. Instead there was a small space without lube. Lube is LBT Blue in a single groove.

Any comments concerning quality control? I am new to shooting and reloading cast. Is this detrimental to accuracy/performance/leading? Thanks all.

JSnover
03-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Check the size first. If your boolits are undersize the lube won't matter, you'll have leading.

Sakoluvr
03-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Size is fine. Issue is a little lube is missing in the groove on some boolits.

Beagle333
03-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Do you have access to any Alox? A little very light tumble in that and it wouldn't matter if they had any LBT on them at all.

hermans
03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
In one of my books on casting boolits, tests were done on 38 Special loads. Bullets only partially lubed got better accuracy out of a test barrel than those fully lubed.
If your boolits fit the barrel properly, I think they would shoot just fine.

Sakoluvr
03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Is LBT Blue considered a decent lube?

runfiverun
03-20-2017, 11:36 AM
it is a good lube.
just fill in the gaps with some chap-stick.

w5pv
03-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Go with Ben's Red your problems with lube will be over.Don't listen to the nay sayers. I have sent thousands of bullets down the tube with Ben's Red some were as small as .449 I didn't cull these bullets because I wanted to see if they would lead.I had no leading at all.

mdi
03-20-2017, 12:10 PM
The only thing I would question is shipping/packaging method. If the lube is in fact LBT Blue, there must be some reason the lube is missing from portions of the lube groove(s). Handling comes to mind first...

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Size is fine. Issue is a little lube is missing in the groove on some boolits.

"a little piece missing"
I think you'll be fine if more than half of the LBT lube is intact.

rond
03-21-2017, 08:33 AM
That space will fill in upon firing.

44man
03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
The only thing I would question is shipping/packaging method. If the lube is in fact LBT Blue, there must be some reason the lube is missing from portions of the lube groove(s). Handling comes to mind first...
There are other blue lubes and some are harder. I used LBT blue and had problems with accuracy, changed to LBT Magnum, soft Blue and Felix. In a rifle Ben's Red was very good.
Buying boolits and many had half the lube in the bottom of the box, that lube is no good. Adding to missing lube fails too. With a hard lube and grooves filled proper still showed recovered boolits missing lube here and there. How better to throw a boolit out of balance? Lube should ALL be gone at muzzle exit. It should spin away. Leave a chunk in and it is like casting air pockets.191280 LBT Blue left, Felix right.

trixter
03-21-2017, 10:18 AM
it is a good lube.
just fill in the gaps with some chap-stick.

Or you can just run it through the lube sizer again, and to keep the die lubed I run every 10th or 12th again.

44man
03-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Or you can just run it through the lube sizer again, and to keep the die lubed I run every 10th or 12th again.
Can't fix. Get all the original lube out and use a better lube.

sw282
03-22-2017, 11:44 AM
l made my first Bens Red yesterday...Stuff stinks like a Jiffy Lube grease pit.Yuck

Stuff is kinda like a pretty woman with BODY ODOR... l don't care how well she ''performs''.

She STINKS and has to GO

Sakoluvr
03-22-2017, 08:36 PM
l made my first Bens Red yesterday...Stuff stinks like a Jiffy Lube grease pit.Yuck

Stuff is kinda like a pretty woman with BODY ODOR... l don't care how well she ''performs''.

She STINKS and has to GO

Bahahahah. TFF