PDA

View Full Version : 23 and me gentic profiling

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 11:02 AM
got the kit for christmas and spit in the tube and sent it in. got the results yesterday. for everyones information 23 and me is the most highly rated genetic profiling company on the internet. ancestry.com is the lowest and not reliable. if you are interested in your gentic background, go for it, 98 dollars and you will find out who you really are. i had only one surprise and all the rest was just confirming what i all ready knew. every one is going to have at least one surprise. my surprise was i have no german blood at all. our family thought we had a lot of it.none at all. again, the rest varified times and dates of things and places we knew that happened in our family. it is interesting what they can read out of one DNA but their it was for me, varification of the very dates some of our blood lines ended or started to change. try it if your interested and see who you really are.

bedbugbilly
03-19-2017, 11:38 AM
My wife and I are going to do it sometime in the near future. I know a lot of my ancestry but as you say, there are always "surprises". My wife and I are really interested in see how her's comes out. My wife's mother was strong French-Canadian and I am fairly sure that there is a good dose of Native American mixed in (Cree) - part of that has been fairly well confirmed by some genealogy work that's already done. One never knows though just what will show up and I think it's amazing what the technology can show now - 30 or 40 years ago we wouldn't have thought it possible.

runfiverun
03-19-2017, 11:56 AM
I could get on the interweb and trace [one side of] my lineage back to a 1300's crossroads king in Scotland in about 20 minutes.
I got no google-foo skills whatsoever.
but the LDS church has the largest genealogy data bank ever anywhere and you can access it pretty easily.

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 11:59 AM
bedbug, you are 100 percent right about the french canadian and cree mix. i worked with the cree and i want to tell you about them. they were born with a smile on their face and they never ever loose it. if you are in a room full od native americans and they are mixed from different tribes, the one smiling all the time is the cree. some of the most beautiful female in the world were the female crees i saw. the cree are good with their hands. when they bought a snow mobile they would take it apart 100 percent and then hand polish every part of it. when they put it back together they would have a snowmobile way better than the one they bought new. they are the last ribe to come across the frozen bering staight and the newest tribe in america. i learned to speak a little cree when i worked with them as a federal worker. i once had a labor dispute with uncle sam over over time money owed me. we had a big hearing and the judge was full blooded cree. we had a lot of testimony and took a break. i went into a room and there happened to be the cree judge in there. on the spure of the moment i said to him in cree and mixed a little french in it, good morning my cousin, how are you today. he answered back in cree, thank you, i am fine. but you should have seen the look on his face and he almost fell off of his chair. he thought i was one of his mixed french cree tribal members. he had really mixed emotions after that when we went back into the hearing. i just laughed inside as i could not help it, i had to say what i said to him. i respect the cree and they are easy to live with. my two grandchildren are part cree as well as my daughter inlaw. she is a member of the tribe. my grandson is 15 years old, a perfect four 0 student and over 6 feet tall. do the 23 and me thing and learn who you really are.

smokeywolf
03-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Not in a big hurry to let someone put a copy of my DNA onto their database, which the gov't will ultimately get a copy of.

MUSTANG
03-19-2017, 12:51 PM
I know several people who have traced their genealogy's. What I always found amazing is that everyone is descended from some monarch centuries ago; but no one is descended from the town drunk or lady's of ill repute from generations ago!

As for me and mine; we have always known we were descended from Mongrel's and our only claim to fame was were were all Native Born Texicans.

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 01:11 PM
23 and me is different, they dont trace you to anyone as ancestry.com does. 23 and me is who you are, not who your related to. as to black sheep in the family, ive got good and some real bad. some have done jail time and were real bad dudes and some did real well. the one that did real well was james arness of the gunsmoke series. he is not to a distant cousin of mine. his great grand father and my great grandfather came to america at the same time and were closely related. same last name and came from the same farm.

Freightman
03-19-2017, 01:24 PM
I know several people who have traced their genealogy's. What I always found amazing is that everyone is descended from some monarch centuries ago; but no one is descended from the town drunk or lady's of ill repute from generations ago!

As for me and mine; we have always known we were descended from Mongrel's and our only claim to fame was were were all Native Born Texicans. God blessed me that I was born a Texican and a son of the Republic Of TEXAS since 1840.

Fishman
03-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Not in a big hurry to let someone put a copy of my DNA onto their database, which the gov't will ultimately get a copy of.

yep. They even say so in the fine print. Also, "they" could use it to deny coverage to a son, daughter, or grandbaby. As interesting as the info would be, there is no doubt in my mind that this will be misused.

472x1B/A
03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
I just pushed the thank you button for smokeywolf and Fishman.

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 04:24 PM
well i guess if you have something to hide, i can sure see your point, besides what could ever happen to you now, donalds sure not going to come after you.

MUSTANG
03-19-2017, 04:33 PM
The Witch of Chicago and Arkansas might still run again in 4 years. Would you want her to have access your DNA info as Hillary Care replaces Ryan Care which replaced ObamaCare?

popper
03-19-2017, 04:41 PM
'Born in the US of A', all I need. I do have family history, for my enjoyment. Wife is missing some history from Quebec era. As the Germans took over the UK long time age, how do you trace anything? N. Africans took over Spain & France, some of Italy? Norwegians moved into China/Russia? Save your money. 99.5% of human DNA is IDENTICAL. 90% of mammal DNA is identical. Only changes due to minor mutations. The survival of minor mutant groups (in history) is the real question.

dragon813gt
03-19-2017, 05:10 PM
I can trace all of mine back to Ellis Island. That's all I need to know. They gave up everything to come here and start a new life. I'm their American dream.

Hick
03-19-2017, 05:12 PM
I did the 32 and Me thing and was very, very pleased. Yes, I suppose someone somewhere would try to think of a way to use genetic data against me, but there is real value-- enough to make it worthwhile (after all, medical records these days are also electronic-- so most of what a doctor might know is already out there). I learned my number one health risk was prostate cancer, which I had just had diagnosed, caught it early, and got it removed before it could hurt me. I also found it valuable because it let me talk to my kids and let them know what they might have inherited from me. The ancestry stuff wasn't much value, but the info on health risks is very valuable.

smokeywolf
03-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Employers and insurance companies are already lobbying their federal government to force you to surrender DNA/Gene samples or be penalized with a 30 to 50 percent increase in med insurance premiums.
H.R. 1313 appears to be another effort by the insurance companies to use their bought and paid for politicians to circumvent your last shred of personal medical privacy.

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 06:18 PM
im so glad im beyond all this hate and scarred stuff. i trust the son of God and all the rest be danged. some people should get a life. besides i was apart of the gov. at one time. was a member of the NSA. every thing i am is in the records they have. so if some of you are so scared, why are you on cast boolits. dont you know the FBI monitors this site. its a fact, hope you can sleep tonight. trust in God and his Son, and really enjoy life.

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
P.S., dont worry about the dems. in 4 years, i heard Russ say the other day that the right has it locked up for years and years. he is always right.

Fishman
03-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Come on johnson1942, no need to take offense and start name calling. I think Smokeywolf raised an excellent point that I agree with. Many diseases are already known to have a genetic component as pointed out by another poster. I know with your background you know this. While this could be immensely valuable to the person who ithe DNA belongs to, it could also be used by insurance companies to determine who they would allow to buy coverage. It's not about fear, it's about safeguarding information about yourself to prevent it being misused now or in the future. Some people are more worried about this than others, that I understand.

smokeywolf
03-19-2017, 06:49 PM
johnson1942, Making every attempt to maintain restrictions on government's ability to control those they govern is a responsibility of the governed.

shdwlkr
03-19-2017, 06:50 PM
If you are worried about misuse of information from a DNA search, think of those who served in the Military. I know the government knows way more about me then I might like, but I also know that I got to do some interesting stuff in the Military. The DOD has my finger prints in printed form, electronic, has a file on where I have lived, worked and where I am now. What more could a DNA test provide? OH and I had a security clearance that took the DOD and FBI to clear me. You want to see the file they have on you, mine was 4 files, each about 2 plus inches thick. Heck they even knew as a kid growing up I was bullied and a runt, had a hard time accepting the 6 foot 4 inch guy across the table was once a runt. Working on a neighbors farm for 10 years puts muscle on a person, didn't hurt I ate like a horse.

One last point if you don't think that everything we write on the net isn't being scooped up and filed, along with every phone call, purchase then you are not paying attention.

smokeywolf
03-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Not sure that the gov't has my DNA info yet, but they do have everything else, as I had to get passed for a low level security clearance when I did some contract work for Uncle Sam and my Dad had a very high level clearance when he was working for a gov't contractor(s).

Not the issue here. The issue here is insurance companies bribing the gov't to force you to hand over your DNA to them, which they will use against you. Insurance companies are not in business to help you. They're in the business of separating you from your money.

Having a copy of your DNA will allow them to run individual computer models on every applicant, virtually guaranteeing that they will never show a loss on a single policy holder.

10x
03-19-2017, 07:10 PM

As for me and mine; we have always known we were descended from Mongrel's and our only claim to fame was were were all Native Born Texicans.

I know a couple of sisters in a family who claimed Royal German ancestors. The church records indicated one of their ancestors was a seamstress on a street noted for bordellos. Church records didn't mention a father. So it could have been a prince or a king

lightman
03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
The results of this might be interesting but I doubt I will ever do it. Call it a mistrust if you will but I feel that I'm being watched and tracked much more than I'm comfortable with now. If I do a Google search for something, something related pops up on several of the Websites that I frequent. Enough is enough! No Thanks!!!

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 07:47 PM
i have been through a complete security investigation by the FBI. im one of those guys your scared of. and im not coming after you. my level of security clearance is three levels above top secret. or was back in the day. i dont know if the book will ever get wrote but a well know american author is sitting on my out line. i can tell you the real stuff about JFK the cuban crisis and many other things. its not like the historys books say. dont worry about your DNA, they and i mean they, know all about you. again, the FBI, watches this site, i know and do i care, not one bit. i have nothing to hide and i never will. i will match my war record with anyone of you. ive been there and done that. i turned from a boy to a man in my first hand to hand combat. ive done more than shoot a gun at someone. i did the 23 and me because i want to know just who i am and where i came from. and now i know. no royal blood, but we do have blood of martyrs in my veins. im proud of my ancestors who stood up for Christ and was murdered by the catholic church. it is strange that my 23 and me profile pointed to the very year that happened. 1730. from that moment on, that blood line started intermingling with other blood lines from other countries. my DNA showed that. im in america because one side of my family was horribly persecuted for being christians by the catholics. thanks God for America. my other side of my DNA were fearsom sea raiders. only in america can we mix like this. again if you are not hiding anything why LIVE IN FEAR. only the people hiding something live in fear. got a question for you. the CIA killed kennedy, do you think they are going to tolerate Donald? not on you life. thats the answer. my mind is ready for it, is your mind ready for it?

WILCO
03-19-2017, 08:23 PM
well i guess if you have something to hide, i can sure see your point.....

Always get a chuckle out of statements like the above.
If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

JSnover
03-19-2017, 08:37 PM
If you are worried about misuse of information from a DNA search, think of those who served in the Military.
Yep. The DoD has been sampling DNA for at least twenty years.

smokeywolf
03-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Well, I think my participation in this thread just ended.

jcwit
03-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Well it's been 50 years since I was in the military, stationed at the Pentagon, assigned to DASA. Look it up. We were the bomb folks.

I guess I had a high clearance, LOL!

johnson1942
03-19-2017, 09:10 PM
history repeats its self. thats a given

bedbugbilly
03-20-2017, 01:01 AM
To each their own and everyone is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs. As far as DNA goes, the government may not have yours yet, but believe me, they have just about all of the other information on you . . and wuth the electronic capabilities they have . . . if you think you can run and hide . . well good luck with that.

This is not to cause an argument with anyone . . . just some general comments. I don't know about all of the states, but for Arizona and Michigan, when I got my CCW license in AZ and my CPL in Michigan, I had to give my finger prints and my palm prints. When I worked a security job many many years ago while I was in college, I had to give my fingerprints. When I worked at a company that did some foreign sales and the State Department had their fingers in the pot . . I had to give fingerprints as well as be "cleared". When I was employed as a firefighter/rescue, I had to give fingerprints. When I volunteered at a local school out here in AZ, I had to give fingerprints. When you purchase a firearm, you give the government information on the FFL paperwork. When you go to a doctor, you provide information that ends up with the insurance companies as well as the government. And . . . if you served in the military . . . they have even more additional information about you.

My point? You can run but you can't hide. If a person doesn't want to volunteer their DNA for a genealogy workup - that is certainly their right not to. And I fully respect that. Personally, I'm too darn old to really care about it. I don't have anything to hide and I doubt those that expressed their refusal to give DNA have anything to hide either. The government has give us all more than enough reasons to not trust it . . . and that goes for all of them - left, right, doesn't matter.

DNA? It's a two edge sword for sure. In the field of LE, a DNA data bank could be and is extremely helpful in solving unsolved and cold cases. I can only imagine what a relief it is for families of victims to finally find justice for their loss through the use of DNA. And in the years I worked ambulance and fire/rescue, I have seen more than my share of the results of violent crime and felt the same pain as the victim's family when a case goes unsolved. And, for many people, DNA and genetic testing has been a godsend in helping determine their tendencies towards genetically passed on illnesses and disorders to supply them with information to make informed decisions needed for their particular cases.

On the other hand, the points made in regards to the use . . .or I should say "mis-use" of DNA by insurance companies and others is on the other edge of the sword. And that type of use is ever more reason for the citizens and taxpayers in this country to put pressure on the politicians who throw in their souls with the insurance companies and other special interest groups looking to use the information to their advantage. But you know what? The majority, regardless of left, middle or right, continue to put the same politicians back in office every election and then complain when things never change. The same voters who complain are the same ones who sit back and never send their views to their representatives in government nor send the message to them that they are "tempoary help" and that they work for us and are not there to "feather their own nests". And, all one has to do is to look at what is going on today with the resistance in the "swamp" to the pressure being applied by the President to cut the waste in government and eliminate the cow towing to special interest groups and lobbyists . . . something which should offend any citizen and taxpayer regardless of their political leanings.

A little "off topic" . . . but it all relates. So instead of any of us getting our feathers in a ruffle, let's just treat this thread for what it was intended to be . . . a discussion of the use of DNA in determining a person's ancestry. Nothing more, nothing less. And if we don't agree . . . then agree to disagree and keep things on an even keel and civil.

johnson1942
03-20-2017, 09:59 AM
i knew when i posted this that the paranoid hate every thing and everybody would come like flies. how ever i thought that in spite of that one or two reasonable humans would benifit and really be interested in their ancestry. 23 and me is a relible way to find out who you are. i think also some of these types that attacked this are afraid if they do this they might find something in the wood pile that they have threw hate against all their lives. then they would have to start hating them selves. the man who introduced me to 23 and me is from south ca. he is as white as you can get. he is a baptist minister and a missionary up here to the native population. he did 23 and me 3 years ago and found out he had a fair percentage and african blood. he was very proud of it because he was mature and and a fine christian. he did not look at it as a bad thing but you can see why some dont want to find these things out. it would shatter their narrow self rightous world. as far as the government getting my info, who cares, ive nothing to hide. God is my leader and governments come and go. my ancestors died for there beliefs , if it comes to that, ive lived long enough also. i had to relations die in the german concentration camps. they both had the same first and last names as my mother. her first name is a tradition in moms family. no they were not jews, they were christians who stood up for Christ. the good thing i found out from 23 and me was i have not one drop of german blood in me. never ever liked those germans.

lightman
03-20-2017, 10:08 AM
I did not feel like I was attacking 23 and me and I don't feel like I'm hiding anything. I'm just tired of being watched all of the time. GPS on the phone. Smart TV's that sell your info. Traffic cameras at stop lights. DNA is an interesting and useful thing, I'm just not interested.

jmort
03-20-2017, 10:46 AM
My brother did the Ancestry.com test
What I found to be facinating were the emails he started to receive from relatives in our family. Based on the matching, they were able to contact fellow members of our family who were previously lost to one another.
Also the genetic makeup was interesting as well. I will probably do both 23 and Ancestory tests.

jcwit
03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Frankly I'm not worried about what could be found out about my DNA.

There was a time the info would have been interesting when I was younger, but now no longer.

For those who are interested about where they came from, only thing I can say is "Go for it".

popper
03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
October 1, 2015 marked the 25th anniversary of the launch of the Human Genome Project Your not going to hide anything. Now who was Bill's dad? 7 letter agencies already have us in the data base. They have been collecting for > 50 yrs. fellows. Remember they used to take the pin prick sample, now it's 3 tubes.

PtMD989
03-20-2017, 11:54 AM
I had a great uncle on my mom's side trace our ancestors back to William the Conquer taking over England. My uncle did this in the 1970's before DNA. He did it by researching old records it took him many years to do. It is quite interesting.
On the Crazy side of DNA testing for genealogy, my wife's Grampa found out that he has a daughter that was switched in the hospital at birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scarry scarney
03-20-2017, 12:05 PM
I would love to know more about my ancestry, but for me, these tests are worthless!!!!

Undergoing my last battle of Cancer, I underwent stem cell transplant. So, the spit out of mouth, the blood in my veins, all contain the DNA of my donor. To harvest my DNA, you have to take a tissue sample.

So, at this point, I'm just happy to be alive. Maybe, ill have one of my kids do it.

KenH
03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Employers and insurance companies are already lobbying their federal government to force you to surrender DNA/Gene samples or be penalized with a 30 to 50 percent increase in med insurance premiums.
H.R. 1313 appears to be another effort by the insurance companies to use their bought and paid for politicians to circumvent your last shred of personal medical privacy.

Note, the only co-sponsors listed of this bill are republicans, and it's called " Preserving Employee Wellness Programs Act". Don't you just love they way they label stuff as if it were to help you?

I really would love to see an added statement to this bill saying something along the lines of "no results will be used to lessen or deny medical coverage".

PtMD989
03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
My dad got a ancestry.com test kit for Christmas. He hasn't done it yet. When he does I'll probably find out I'm half tobacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson1942
03-20-2017, 12:15 PM
the reason i did 23 and me is a couple of things. when i vacation im talked to by a lot of arabs that think im one of them. im olive skinned and look like im from syria. my father is norwiegen and of saami type. so the 23 and me told me im not arab at all or italian or spanish, but have a lot of hungarian blood. that answers the darker olive skin look. also the saami norwiegen was confirmed with some asian blood in me also as the saami have that. also at least a 1/3 of me comes from normandy france as we already knew. the mongol plus hungarian blood i have may account for me not taking any sh-------t from anyone all my life. as these two types of people are like that. im working on that. again the happiest thing i found out i have no german blood. i have never ever felt comfortable around them. lived in a german american city once and all they do is ***** and groan and moan and watch each other. never happy and no sense of humor. sorry people, thats my experience with that group.

marlin39a
03-21-2017, 08:03 AM
I'm 60. I know my mother was born in England. My father was born here from his mother from Lithuania. I would like to know. Worth a hundred bucks.

johnson1942
03-21-2017, 08:16 AM
let us know what you find out, its all very interesting.

rockrat
03-21-2017, 11:34 AM
I did the Ancestry.com thing as the 23 and me was about $200 at the time. Did find out some things I suspicioned (Scandinavian ancestry--Vikings!!!:)) and some I didn't know, Irish and a bit of Spanish ("Black Irish" possibly). Wife said she just knew I had lots of Scottish ancestry as I am "frugal", and she was right!!

Love Life
03-21-2017, 12:17 PM
This thread makes me think about the episode of "The Boondocks" where Uncle Ruckus took a DNA test and found out he was black, lol. I don't mean that as a disparagement of the thread or Johnson1942, just what the thread made me think of when it was mentioned that some people might not want to find out what their make up is.

Nueces
03-21-2017, 12:30 PM
That's easy, just use TDY bar rules. Keep the truth to yerself and lie at your convenience!

Thumbcocker
03-21-2017, 01:50 PM
wonder if racial supremacy organizations require a DNA test.

bubba.50
03-21-2017, 02:09 PM
I'd be kinda interested in takin' both the Ancestry.com test & the 23 and me. but, as rare as extra funds are around here I always seem to find somethin' else to spend it on.

and as for worryin' over who might find yer DNA interestin', I figger that after 10 gallons and counting of donations to the Red Cross if any of the alphabet agencies "need" mine they won't have too hard a time gettin' it.

Ken in Iowa
03-21-2017, 02:14 PM
I did the Ancestry.com thing as the 23 and me was about $200 at the time. Did find out some things I suspicioned (Scandinavian ancestry--Vikings!!!:)) and some I didn't know, Irish and a bit of Spanish ("Black Irish" possibly). Wife said she just knew I had lots of Scottish ancestry as I am "frugal", and she was right!!

My ancestors emigrated from Denmark. We are a tall family with little blonde hair. I have been told we have a lot of "slave Dane" blood..

The Vikings sure got around a thousand years ago.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-21-2017, 03:06 PM
My brother did the Ancestry.com test
What I found to be facinating were the emails he started to receive from relatives in our family. Based on the matching, they were able to contact fellow members of our family who were previously lost to one another.
Also the genetic makeup was interesting as well. I will probably do both 23 and Ancestory tests.
jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same.

Harter66
03-21-2017, 03:32 PM
The geneogly has gone a long way on 3/4 legs , a muloto was found about 1780 that put the brakes on for about 50 yr on one leg . More recently the truth is more colorful than can be imagined we knew a cousin was a in power and intact ultimately responsible for a lot of American blood , but he was dead long before the blood shed . Murdered in fact . Lots of family from Ohio, Tennessee , Arkansas and South Carolina back to at least 1740 .
Oh the Irish ........ Except that they weren't really Irish for very long ....... It would be interesting to see which Scandinavians got tangled up in that whole mess that now lays within Germany and France ......... Clearly I got shorted on that gig , the only way I can hold my liquor is in a closed bottle and I'd really like to know which weak knee'd little bast...... blood line that came from .
They tell me I hail from a long line of farmers , I can't grow mold on cheese in a ward fridge and the cravings for red meat doesn't come from growing tators.
My daughter's have hazel eyes ....Green and gold my boys are dark brown mine are steel grey/blue .

I'd like to do the test if uncle were coming he would have been here by now .

johnson1942
03-21-2017, 04:29 PM
thumbcocker,there is a self proclaimed white raciest up in N.Dak. who bought a little town and wants to turn it all white. he would go on talk shows, spout his hate and make some money that way. well one of the talk shows got his DNA from a glass and sent it in. he is 14 percent african american. im sure these racial supremacy groups would never do a DNA test as they would be afraid of the results.

Thumbcocker
03-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Kinda what I thought. I know there is Cherokee blood in the family tree and there are rumors of African blood as well. Whenever I see Halle Berry I think Adolf was seriously messed up. I have read accounts of the mobility and upheaval after the civil war doing a lot to stir up the U.S. gene pool, North and South. Makes a lot of sense no govt. issued I.D. for anyone; you could be whatever your looks and brass would let you pass as.

jmort
03-21-2017, 08:58 PM
"Whenever I see Halle Berry I think Adolf was seriously messed up."

She is more "white" than anything else. You take Oprah.

Thumbcocker
03-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Hybrids can turn out real well,

jmort
03-21-2017, 09:58 PM
So it would seem

smokeywolf
03-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Vice President of one of the major motion picture film laboratories at which I worked, had a secretary who was actually black. I mean really black. One of the few truly black women I've encountered who was just plain stunning. Most men, black, white, yellow, red or purple, couldn't walk by her without tripping over themselves.
On more than one occasion I saw men who had an appointment with the company V.P., walk around the corner in the administration building, catch a glimpse of Mary and have to catch their breath, before they could state their name and that they had an appointment. Then, they'd have trouble keeping their composure when she'd stand up and show them to the V.P.'s office door.

She always smelled great, never reeked of too much perfume, never wore a pantsuit, always a dress or skirt and always within an inch of the top of her kneecap. Always high-heels. Hair was not so much straightened as it was "relaxed". Her makeup was always perfect. Despite the fact that she was in her late 30s and had a teenage son, more than once, I saw her blush when someone told even the slightest off-color joke.

Without regard to skin color, Mary was possibly the prettiest, and certainly the classiest woman in a company that employed nearly 400 people.

To this day, I've met few women, black or white who could hold a candle to Mary.

MT Gianni
03-21-2017, 11:23 PM
I cannot see tracing mine. I have family members on both sides who are heavily into genealogy and a fair idea of my ancestors. I have also been privileged to travel in Europe, North and South America and have met fools of all persuasions. I see some traits of behaviors that run in nations but I don't believe that they are as much genetic as behavioral.

BAGTIC
03-21-2017, 11:44 PM
It is not possible to be certain of a biological connection farther back than three generations. It may be possible but not certain.

I know where I came from as when I asked dad where he came from he said "Lightning struck a tree and there I was" which I suppose makes me a second generation splinter.

Why the H**l would anyone care who their long distant ancestors were... unless they were trying to milk someone else's accomplishments and glory.

jmort
03-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Why do you care how other people care to spend their time and treasure? I find genetic backgrounds facinating.

10x
03-22-2017, 08:38 AM
jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same. Or you may be in for an unexpected surprise.
Paternity studies on first born children have shown that over 4% of first born are not the child of the man listed as father

Some times it is better not to know

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2005/aug/11/childrensservices.uknews

jmort
03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
"jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same"

I believe it would be close. I would like to find some unknown relatives. He is working on it. He got 1% Jewish and 1% Malawi. Everthing else was from Great Britian to Northern and Eastern Europe. Zero Native Americn which goes against family lore. Don't really care where it all came from, I just find it facinating.

It seems like brothers and sisters should have the same ancestry background. After all, they both got half their DNA from mom and half from dad.
But because of how DNA is passed on, it is possible for two siblings to have some big differences in their ancestry at the DNA level. Culturally they may each say they are “1/8th Cherokee” but at the DNA level, one may have no Cherokee DNA at all.
http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask378
So yes, it is definitely possible for two siblings to get pretty different ancestry results from a DNA test. Even when they share the same parents.

sparky45
03-22-2017, 09:24 AM
I did the Ancestry test in early January (the 7th as I recall) and still haven't received the results. I'm very interested because last year I had a call from a lady that claimed to be my half sister. She has since had the DNA test and I'm awaiting the results to see if it's possible. She is a couple of years older and would have been conceived prior to my mothers marriage to my father. Very interesting!!

Harter66
03-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Here's a little geneogly tidbit . We have positive birth death and a government geneogly on a 1st cousin making common grandparents at my 5th great . Trouble is his grandfather was "probably" and even more troubling is that that grandfather was "probably" . DNA could provide the answer to "probably definitely" or give us "probably not likely" .

Ms has some pretty cool outlaws in the wood pile , I have some pretty cool treasonous traders in the wood pile (perspective only) , I suspect that there are also some that sided with the crown in that little temper tantrum the colonies called a revolution .
It might be fun to know how prevalent twins really are in the family .

Harter66
03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
I did the Ancestry test in early January (the 7th as I recall) and still haven't received the results. I'm very interested because last year I had a call from a lady that claimed to be my half sister. She has since had the DNA test and I'm awaiting the results to see if it's possible. She is a couple of years older and would have been conceived prior to my mothers marriage to my father. Very interesting!!

I have some conflicting time lines in my family too !

There was a story a couple of years , probably 10 now, about a lady in Reno that had been adopted on the east coast . Shortly after the adoption the family moved to Reno where she grew up with very strong friendships with a what turned out to be a group of 3rd cousins . She fell in love , got married , had kids and did some digging . After a couple of court actions she got all the names and dates . Turns out that she was the missing 1st cousin that tied all the cousins she grew up with together and unknowingly married to her 1st cousin . That was the motivation for a law change in Nevada about how adoption paperwork is disclosed to families and adoptees of age .

Greg S
03-22-2017, 07:55 PM
It's pretty easy to trace my mothers side back to I think the 1640s in upstate NY and my grandfather from my father's side immigrated fro Italy aroud 1920. Now, being Italian, it wouldn't suuprise me to have some other nationalities in me. What is it thenSicillians say, grace of god and 60 miles.

MT Gianni
03-24-2017, 07:11 PM
"jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same"

I believe it would be close. I would like to find some unknown relatives. He is working on it. He got 1% Jewish and 1% Malawi. Everthing else was from Great Britian to Northern and Eastern Europe. Zero Native Americn which goes against family lore. Don't really care where it all came from, I just find it facinating.

It seems like brothers and sisters should have the same ancestry background. After all, they both got half their DNA from mom and half from dad.
But because of how DNA is passed on, it is possible for two siblings to have some big differences in their ancestry at the DNA level. Culturally they may each say they are “1/8th Cherokee” but at the DNA level, one may have no Cherokee DNA at all.
So yes, it is definitely possible for two siblings to get pretty different ancestry results from a DNA test. Even when they share the same parents.
Reminds me of the joke the Navaho's tell: What do you call 64 Cherokees in a room? Full Blood.

Harter66
03-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Reminds me of the joke the Navaho's tell: What do you call 64 Cherokees in a room? Full Blood.

Funny thing about that NA and northern European . There is a great deal of proof that they may well be one in the same .

johnson1942
03-24-2017, 10:01 PM
if you look up the latest research on native american DNA, native american DNA can be hidden and not detected. it is the only DNA that they think can be hidden, so far up to this point. a sioux said to a navaho, our reservation is so big that it takes all day to drive across it. the navaho said, yep we have cars like that to. a navaho grandma came home from shopping and said to grandpa navaho, the new president is sending all the illegal aliens back where they come from. grandpa navaho shouted, finally, they are going to send those white people back to where they came from.

jonp
03-25-2017, 05:15 AM
I know my ancestry without spitting in a tube. It's American

DoubleAdobe
03-27-2017, 01:18 PM
"Whenever I see Halle Berry I think Adolf was seriously messed up."

She is more "white" than anything else. You take Oprah.

Maybe a better example would be Harris Faulkner?

10 ga
03-27-2017, 02:10 PM
jmort, if your brother did the DNA test then your ancestry should be the same.

Spell ASUME. Lots could be different. You have assumed that they have the same father, same mother, not switched at birth, not adopted, no "ufo flying ancient alien" involvement, etc... Could be surprises involved. Remember the father splits his DNA and the mom too, to get a whole new combination.

10 ga
03-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Already know a plenty about the family. Old maid aunt was big on family history research. Traced one ancestor back to arriving in Jamestown with Capt. Christopher Newport in 1609. Many other arrival before 1640. Latest known arrival was 1720. So far as known all English. Before that, well England was subject to many invasions and many different sourced people. At least 2 different invasions before the Romans and their Anglo and Saxon allies, then Vikings, then Normans of Viking lineage, then servants serfs and slaves from the crusades era, well always an ebb and flood of humanity. Neat info here and I'm going to see what I've got in me too. To start on the genotype/phenotype mix lets see: Gin/tonic my favorite libation, sun sensitive skin, brown hair, prefer fowling pieces to rifles, love my veggie garden, long lineage of civil service/public service/making things better professions, and oh yeah English names like Nottingham, Turner, James, West, Fisher, Rolph, Addison, Lee, Pruitt, Crockett.

Wife, claims and lineage of Ireland is known but whatever else not sure.

I'll check out some more DNA testing/research info like on consumer report and see who can tell what from those twisty ladder models.

best to all, 10