PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem...

Sean357
03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Went to the range today after work. Just wanted a quick session with my SP101 before I picked up my wife. I need to make it a tradition to come here after the snow melts. It was like picking wildflowers in a mountain meadow. 45, 40, 9mm, 38 Cal. Boolits and bullets everywhere, just laying there.I think I spent more time picking range flowers than shooting. I finally had to stop because it was time to pick up my wife. Not to mention my cargo work pants were starting to be pulled down. Still had a good practice though.

Yeah I'm hooked.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

petroid
03-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Remember to keep a bucket in the trunk for next time

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2017, 10:32 PM
sometimes Onions come in fishnet type of nylon bags. I keep a couple of those in my range bag.

This is a orange/grapefruit bag, works for brass
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/snowicerangebrass122014_zpsc0cbaed2.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/snowicerangebrass122014_zpsc0cbaed2.jpg.html)

XDROB
03-17-2017, 10:39 PM
I akways have 2 two lb coffee can with me. 1 for the stuff I shoot and another for the range brass. I pick up all I can, take it home, sort it out. The stuff I don't use, I bring it back for the next guy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ghh3rd
03-17-2017, 11:08 PM
JonB - what kind of sand is that stuffed in those shells. We don't have that kind of shells on our beaches in FL, nor that kind of sand!

starmac
03-18-2017, 12:01 AM
We have a small public range 36 miles out of town, just two dilapidated benches there. Last year about this time of year, my wife and I went out there, snow was too deep to wade out too far to put targets, so we just plinked at short range, but I picked up two boxes of shiny 45/70 brass laying on top of the snow.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2017, 12:03 AM
JonB - what kind of sand is that stuffed in those shells. We don't have that kind of shells on our beaches in FL, nor that kind of sand!
Those are special kind of shells left behind after local police qualifications ...and that's some of the coolest sand around.

tommag
03-18-2017, 12:05 AM
I can't speak for JonB, but that sand looks like a winter blend.

runfiverun
03-18-2017, 01:50 AM
blend of water and cold.
got plenty of it around here.

54bore
03-18-2017, 05:12 AM
Those are special kind of shells left behind after local police qualifications ...and that's some of the coolest sand around.

We have a little 100 yard sand pit just on the outskirts of town where everybody goes to shoot, even Law Enforcement, easy to tell when the LEOs have been there, they leave a PILE of brass. Must be nice to shoot away with ZERO worries about running low on ammo, or it costing you a fortune. I find lots of loaded rounds on the ground, they either dropped or cleared and left laying on the ground. I made a screen shaker box to sift the sand banks for lead, works like a dream!!

waksupi
03-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Not to mention ice fishing really sucks where you are!

Smoke4320
03-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Looks like excessive Chem Trail sprayings to me :) :)
or could be snowman seeds

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2017, 10:40 AM
We have a little 100 yard sand pit just on the outskirts of town where everybody goes to shoot, even Law Enforcement, easy to tell when the LEOs have been there, they leave a PILE of brass. Must be nice to shoot away with ZERO worries about running low on ammo, or it costing you a fortune. I find lots of loaded rounds on the ground, they either dropped or cleared and left laying on the ground. I made a screen shaker box to sift the sand banks for lead, works like a dream!!
"cleared" is most likely, I also have a bag of loaded rounds I've recovered when I'm picking up their brass.

I was a volunteer with the City police reserves, so I've been along to help with many of these qualifications. In the last 5 years, they try to do them at night and during the winter, I think the training office is a bit sadistic. One of the Quals utilize a moving squad car, suddenly stopping, officer gets out, ducks behind the open door, shoots target. They do this at several distances. Why do I mention that? well, after all that driving of a squad car on the range, all the brass is frozen in, in tightly packed snow, so it's only recoverable during a warm spell.

Sean357
03-18-2017, 10:51 AM
A container of some sort will be a must for future trips. I like the orange bag idea for the brass.

BrassMagnet
03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
It is not a problem. It is a communicable disease!

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has determined the vector for spreading this disease is easily blocked!
Massive self control is required to block it as the vector is reloading and casting equipment.

So send all of that stuff to me and you'll eventually recover and lead a mindless sheeple life.
Also remember, the tooling must be useable when the next victim receives it, so use plenty of "Portraits of Dead Presidents" as packing material. You can also substitute USPS Money Orders, travelers checks, etc. Never use Wally World money orders because they are known to bounce and break the magical spell.
He he!

Enjoy this magic formula:

Brass + reloading tools + lead + mould + boolit sizing equipment + lube + powder + primers = Lotsa Ammo

bedbugbilly
03-18-2017, 11:29 AM
You are ruining the balance of nature . . . if you leave those there, they will eventually take root and grow in to guns!

Sounds like the "pickin's" were good and a nice way to bring in spring! Sometimes people look at me like I'm nuts when I pick up brass and fill my pockets with it . . . we all have our hobbies! Brass pickers should make Hillary ad all the tree huggers happy - after all. we are doing our share to "recycle". :-)

GL49
03-18-2017, 11:40 AM
four large zip-loc bags, folded up and zipped into the fifth can always be found under the seat of my car.

BrassMagnet
03-18-2017, 11:46 AM
four large zip-loc bags, folded up and zipped into the fifth can always be found under the seat of my car.

I like this plan!!!

XDROB
03-18-2017, 11:55 AM
The guys at the range who look at you when 1. You immediately start looking for the brass after firing. 2. You start bending over like a chicken at feeding time to pick up the brass your eagle eye has seen on the ground.😆

ARE NOT RELOADERS!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

robg
03-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Get most of my brass from leftovers on the range from people who don't reload .I'm just being green to save the planet etc.��

brassrat
03-19-2017, 09:47 PM
I have two cars and a square, metal basket in each. They are all holes and are great to shake out sand or even use a hose to clean em. Thrift stores sometimes have em.

Sean357
03-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Heck I wasn't even looking that hard for brass this time, found a bit though.
It was the lead laying all over that got my attention! When I got there a guy was just taking down his targets to leave, so I laid down my stuff and went to go tape up mine. Halfway done I notice that this guy is walking all over picking up stuff on his way back. I didn't think anything of it and finished up. Then I start to turn around and a little glint of shiny yellow from what I think is armscorp 45 Cal fmj caught my eye. Then another. And more. And more. This is at ten yards. 20 minutes later I'm 50 yards out and my pants are ready to fall off. I waddled back, picking up more of course, and started shooting. Picked up more everytime I went to change targets too.

03-20-2017, 07:49 PM
GL49 -- That's exactly what I do. Keep zip-locks in my range bag all the time. :)

Jal5
03-21-2017, 09:34 PM
a couple of years in a row I got almost all the brass I will ever need by going to the public range right at the first spring thaw. all those people shooting new guns after Christmas I guess1

funnyjim014
03-24-2017, 07:59 PM
The public range near me have regulars that scrounge for brass. The range is near the local Rez with a lot of people that need the scrap money way more than I need it