PDA

View Full Version : Success! And more questions.

Wilson
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. This week I finally succeeded in casting 125 gr 9mm bullets from a Lee 6 cavity mold and 155 gr SWCs from a Lyman mold. The .38 cal stuff works great in my revolver, but I can’t get the 9mm to work in my Storm Lake barreled Glocks, feeding and leading problems make it unworkable. The bullet is too rounded. I say this because I’ve got two other more pointed bullets from commercial casters that feed fine, they just lead the barrel. Do you have any suggestions on a more pointed 9mm bullet mold? One fellow shooter suggests I try a heavier bullet, like a 147 gr, in the 9mm to reduce velocity. What do you think? Would it be worth the expense of a new mold?
Also, is it common or acceptable practice to size bullets from a mold marked 9mm to .358 or a mold marked .38 to .356?
I did slug my barrels and came up with .354 for one and .355 for the other. I’m sizing the bullets 3.56 for the 9mm.
The kids are shooting the .38 in practical pistol matches and were unable to quickly reload the SWC, so I started sizing the bullets from the Lee 9mm mold to .358 so they would load smoothly from a speed loader. They work very well for that kind of shooting.
Once again thanks for all your support.

HeavyMetal
07-08-2008, 01:40 AM
.356 should work well for both 9mm barrels. post the Lee mold number so we all know which one is giving you trouble, that way we can dig out our catalogs and all be on the same page.

As for the leading? Boolit diameter is large enough to prevent gas cutting what remains is poor lube or to soft an alloy or both. If your using Wheel Weights and water quenching the alloy is not the issue.

I will go out on a limb here and say your using LLA and a fast burning powder!

Post the mold number, and the load and alloy type.

Buckshot
07-08-2008, 01:48 AM
...............Bummer on the feeding issues. My Witness in 38 Super feeds this just fine:

http://www.fototime.com/94E23D0AC147FC1/standard.jpg

Since the 9mm is so short it probably sees the feed ramp at a pretty acute angle. Gotta angle up out of the mag and then angle back down to chamber.

"One fellow shooter suggests I try a heavier bullet, like a 147 gr, in the 9mm to reduce velocity. What do you think? Would it be worth the expense of a new mold?"

Another mould is always a good idea! But it would be nice to figure that leading thing out.

"Also, is it common or acceptable practice to size bullets from a mold marked 9mm to .358 or a mold marked .38 to .356?"

They're YOUR boolits. You can size them to whatever you want. I've sized 8mm boolits from .323" down to .314" for a snotty Argentine.

"I did slug my barrels and came up with .354 for one and .355 for the other. I’m sizing the bullets 3.56 for the 9mm."

For my Witness I size to .357". You need to find out what the chamber will allow for boolit OD in a loaded round and size a thousandth under that. Case wall thickness at the mouth in 9mm's is all over the map. Everyone and his dog has made, or is making the brass and they can differ several thousandths one from another. Outside a few situations it's usually bigger is better so far as cast is concerned. That is, so long as there is room for boolit release.

..................Buckshot

Sprue
07-08-2008, 02:04 AM
..... but I can’t get the 9mm to work in my Storm Lake barreled Glocks, feeding and leading problems make it unworkable. The bullet is too rounded.

Most likely:
The leading is probably caused by 1; your bullet size and 2; your powder charge. You just may not have a stout enough load to obturate your cast bullet. The result of blow-by or the hot gases passing the bullets bearing surface can leave significant deposits in the barrel. First try increasing your charge provided you're within specs.... this may fix the failure to feed issue too. BTW, what is your lube and charge data ?

I assume that you are using WW alloy. Your cast bullet size should be .001 to .002 larger than your your slugged bore size. I'm not familiar with the rifling in your bbl but I think that you may be getting a false measurement. Thats not easy to do especially if you have a odd amount of groves

Bullet type:
This might also need to be addressed if the above doesn't work.
Its been my experience that RN type bullets always feed best in the auto's. I suspect that that for one, you might polish the feed ramp. I take it that you have purchased an after market bbl for the Glock. I know nothing about them, I don't own one.

Other:
How do your rounds fit in the magazine? You may take another look at your load length.

Good Luck

randyrat
07-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Just some ideas for you too think about.....
Are you crimping the bullets for the Glock in the after market barrel? Just smooth out the bell so you don't ruin the bullet.
Loading way to hot for a soft bullet?
Is there any ruff spots in your after market barrel that scrape lead off the bullet? I'll bet it's a brand new barrel..
Is it leading or unburnt powder? or shavings off your bullet from the loading proccess because your not belling the case at all or not enough? Also give us your load data that may have a clue in it. Powder/primers/oal/belling the case/crimping ect.....

Bret4207
07-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Most likely:
The leading is probably caused by 1; your bullet size and 2; your powder charge. You just may not have a stout enough load to obturate your cast bullet.

Not disagreeing, just a slightly different point- If your chamber will accept it, you can use a large enough boolit that you don't need it to obturate.

docone31
07-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I have a Star Modelo Super. It won't eat anything except ball.
I cast the Lee Truncated cone, 124gn water dropped. It likes that one. Sizes well, feeds well, minimal leading. What I would consider normal for a day at the range.

Jimlakeside
07-08-2008, 09:25 AM
I have had similar problems with my Lee mold and a Lone Wolf barrel in my Glock 34. I switched to a Lyman mold 147 grain 4 capacity (part # 2670637). I cast 400 rounds Saturday and they measured .357 in diameter. I put them through my sizer at .357 (Lyman 450 sizer), so I actually didn't reduce the size of the bullet at all. I used Carnauba Red Lube (ebay $16.95 for 10), 3.7 grains of Vihtavuori powder, Winchester brass, Wolf primers. I shot a 100 rounds through my stock Glock barrel with no problems or leading. Very accurate. On the Lyman website it states that the 147 grain mold was specifically designed for IPSC shooting.

I will shoot another 100 through my Lone Wolf barrel tonight. Hope this helps.

Jim

trickyasafox
07-08-2008, 10:41 AM
as for the 'pointier' mold- the lee 120gr TC is nice. I have one and like it.

mooman76
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
A little bullet I had allot of luck with is the Lee 105g SWC. Great little bullet. Made for 38's but it has shot great in all my guns. 38, 357 and 9mm. Great plinker with the small size but accurate too!

Wilson
07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I’m using a Lee 6 cavity mold, 125 gr .356 # 356-125-2R. I started off using Lyman Ideal Bullet Lubricant. I’m now using Lyman Orange Magic lube. My load is 3.5 gr of Winchester 231.
I’m going to go for one of the Lyman 147 grain molds suggested my Jimlakeside. I see that I’ve been paying too much for lube at Midway. Does everyone like the Carnauba Red Lube? At $16.95 for 10 it’s less than half the price of what I’m using now.
I am specifically trying to load 9mm and .38 for seven kids and myself so we can economically compete in the local steel and practical pistol shoots. I have a heater for my Lyman 450, but what is best for what I'm doing, hard lube or soft lube?
I'm casting wheel weights.

Dale53
07-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Wilson;
I am using Red Carnauba (see the link at the bottom of the page for Lars45) for a variety of cartridges. I am more than happy with the results (and I am a bit critical and strongly "results oriented").

Your load seems quite light. Some of your feeding problems may be caused by the low energy of the load (the slide may not be driven at sufficient speed to fully cycle). The bullet should feed without problems as it closely resembles most factory bullets.

Leading is probably caused by too small a bullet. Use as large a bullet that will easily enter the chamber.

Dale53

HeavyMetal
07-09-2008, 12:57 AM
My Speer 10 manual shows two distict loads for the 9mm. Sadly speer has always show extremely light loads for lead boolits as they want you to use thier swaged soft lead and don't want to hear people complain about leading.

I push the very same boolit, lubed with Carnuba Red, cast from water cooled WW to 1450 FPS in my 6 inch barreled Tarus. Thats 8.0 grains of Bluedot! No leading! I am using a Bar-sto barrel which are known for being smooth.

The lube groove on the boolit is very small, my only complaint about it, and I found you needed the best lube you could fing to keep from leading.

I will suggest: get some carnuba red, load 5.0 grains 231, size .356 to .357 and load to an overall length of 1.118 and adjust as needed to fit the magazine!

Jimlakeside
07-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Wilson

I am using 3.7 grains of Vihtavuori N340 powder which is a medium burning powder. Winchester 231 is a faster burning powder with the same burn rate as Vihtavuori N320. In my limited experience as a reloader 5.0 grains of 231 may be excessive. 3.7 grains of N340 (medium burning powder) chrons at 920 plus or minus FPS in my Glock, which give you a power factor of 135,000. As you know in IDPA and IPSC matches you only need a power factor of 125,000. I shot 80 rounds last night in my lone wolf barell with no leaqding, no keyholing whatsoever. I am really happy with the bullet and the lube.

Dale53
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Some of us may be talking about the Lee 125 gr bullet and some may be talking about a 147 gr bullet.

It would be helpful (and MUCH safer for all concerned) if we would mention the bullet intended along with the powder charge:

Example:
125 gr round nose bullet - starting load 3.9 grs of 231, max load 4.4 grs of 231. (from Hodgdon's web site:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

This would insure that we don't mistake a light bullet powder charge for a heavy bullet (which could be dangerous).

Just a suggestion...

Dale53

HeavyMetal
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Dale53:
You are correct it is up to us to be careful. In my post I felt I had made it clear I was talking about the 125 grain Lee (356-125-2R) but in re reading that post yes a mistake could be made, shame on me I am usually more careful that that!

So the Lee 125 gr boolit, carnube red as a lube, 5.0 grains WW-231 ( a start load is 5.1 grains in my Speer # 10 manual jacketed info ) size to either .356 or .357 as needed, loaded overall length 1.118 and adjust to fit the magazine.

Dale53
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
heavyMetal;
You are also correct about Speer "low balling" their swaged lead bullets regarding powder charges. Their swaged bullets work just fine at the reduced velocities shown, but may lead at velocities that we NORMALLY shoot somewhat harder cast bullets. Just something that a feller or gal needs to keep in mind.

The first place I look regarding powder charges is the powder manufacturer's data center. We KNOW that those loads are pressure tested and often the pressures are shown. That helps me greatly to make a proper decision (safe and "for the purpose" velocities). THEN, I look at the reloading manuals. It is quite nice to have the ability to do that without having to own all of the reloading manuals out there. I still pretty much keep current with the major manuals, but seldom fail to check online at the powder manufacturer's web site.

Dale53