PDA

View Full Version : Who else paints their guns?

Idaho45guy
03-15-2017, 03:04 AM
I'm talking about long guns and camouflage paint jobs for hunting...

My first was in 1998 on my first AR that I bought for coyote hunting...

I changed it over the years into more of a SHTF rifle when I lived in AZ and upgraded the paint job for high-desert living...

I've also done a Ruger M77 All-Weather-Rifle that I used for elk hunting...

And my last was my turkey gun; a Weatherby shotgun...

Taylor
03-15-2017, 06:56 AM
We painted my son's Hi Point carbine,desert sand.I painted a .22 that I took in trade with appliance epoxy from Lowes.Both turned out much better than I thought they would.That epoxy paint is some tough stuff.

Rick Hodges
03-15-2017, 08:54 AM
I painted my Mossberg 500 pump shotgun for turkey hunting. It was an ugly club anyway.

OS OK
03-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Swirling(Camouflage Rifle Stock 2) - Duration: 3:50. DeanSwirled 63,449 views (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7BorTfW_4)

This technique doesn't look too hard to master...there are a ton of videos on you tube on this subject...

Mk42gunner
03-15-2017, 10:59 AM
I've painted a few over the years. The only one I have right now is an H&R turkey gun.

About three colors of cheap flat spray paint, and you're set. Spray the lighter color on first as a base coat then small irregular shaped splotches.

Save the leftovers for touch ups.

As in any finish, the prep work is what takes the most time if you want a good finish.

Robert

runfiverun
03-15-2017, 11:00 AM

this is a pebble finish.

OS OK
03-15-2017, 12:01 PM
I've painted a few over the years. The only one I have right now is an H&R turkey gun.

About three colors of cheap flat spray paint, and you're set. Spray the lighter color on first as a base coat then small irregular shaped splotches.

Save the leftovers for touch ups.

As in any finish, the prep work is what takes the most time if you want a good finish.

Robert

Decades back, my oldest Son Eric tried this method on one of his bows...he went around the yard and picked leaves from different plants, ferns and such and used them for templates...it came out fantastic!

Thumbcocker
03-15-2017, 01:35 PM
WOW! Runfive that gun looks exactly like a coyote!

Texas by God
03-15-2017, 02:20 PM
The current crop of black synthetic/blued entry level guns beg to be painted. We always painted the steel parts on the barn gun, the truck gun, the tractor gun, the canoe gun etc. so we wouldn't be removing rust all the time. I painted my AR .300 blk using a wine bottle sleeve(plastic webbing) for a template with OD & tan paint. My friends call it the Fishnet gun.
Best, Thomas.

Hardcast416taylor
03-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Awhile back I bought a sportered Mauser 98 in 8mm from a pawn shop. The `dim bulb` previous owner had spray painted the rifle entirety in a camo pattern. After 6 months on the store shelf the paint was still `tacky` to the touch. I got the rifle for $106 total + tax. It required a 5 lb. dead blow hammer to seperate the action from the stock as both had been painted on the under side that went into the stock. Took about 3 weeks to get that gunk off the rifle and toss the stock.Robert

NyFirefighter357
03-15-2017, 08:21 PM
I painted an ugly 10/22 stock I used textured paint and it now looks like a synthetic stock. This is the latest one I did for my daughter Rem Mod. 33. http://s58.photobucket.com/user/nyfirefighter357/media/Misc/2015-12-23_22-13-32_817_zpsgwcux413.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13

bruce drake
03-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I have one AR15 painted in a OCP camo-pattern just to say I've done it. That said, My other AR15s are for target shooting so I have John Deere Green; OD Green; Fire Engine Red/Black; Metallic Blue and of course, Basic Black...It helps also that I dedicated specific magazines for each of the rifles as they have different calibers and they are painted to match. I had Dewalt Yellow but it started to look like a WASP rifle with the black furniture as well so it went back into the OCP pattern I mentioned first after I stripped all the previous paint off the parts.

runfiverun
03-15-2017, 09:51 PM
WOW! Runfive that gun looks exactly like a coyote!

the little square box that the 308 rifle come in is in the chest the yote is standing on.
[I think someone run it over with their pick-up truck]
the barrel got hacksawed off behind the bent part and re-crowned with a brass screw and some lapping compound.
the stock is about 50% super glue and/or epoxy with steel inserts.
the pebble texture is hard to see in the picture but it's the only one I have of it
in the up close pic I had you could see the black and gold under tones under the brown pebble finish.

I'm thinking on doing another rifle just like it [in 243 this time] but in a grey color and with flat black cera-coat metal, for rock-chuck hunting.
those old western-field [mossburg/marlin] rifles will shoot if you work with them.
the 243 likes the Hornady 58gr v-max with about 2"s of jump to the rifling.
and the 308 shoots my home swaged 150's into about 1" groups real consistent.

Texas by God
03-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Awhile back I bought a sportered Mauser 98 in 8mm from a pawn shop. The `dim bulb` previous owner had spray painted the rifle entirety in a camo pattern. After 6 months on the store shelf the paint was still `tacky` to the touch. I got the rifle for $106 total + tax. It required a 5 lb. dead blow hammer to seperate the action from the stock as both had been painted on the under side that went into the stock. Took about 3 weeks to get that gunk off the rifle and toss the stock.Robert
Yeah but you got a sportered barreled action Mauser for $106!! Heck yeah. Best, Thomas.