PDA

View Full Version : Frankford Armory Dropout

jh45gun
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Just cast up some Lee .690 Round Ball for my 12 guage Pumkin loads and all I can say is this stuff does work it made casting a lot easier and the bullets dropped with no additional help by tapping the mould or if you did tap it it was slight. I cast 3 bullets with a Ideal mould too 311407 that was cold and it still cast good bullets even from a cold mould. I reccomend it. Before getting that ideal mould to drop bullets unless I had the mix just the right temp was a chore. With the drop out like I said even out of a cold mould and with the mix just hot enough to pour well it made 3 perfect bullets out of the Ideal mould and I let the mould get cold both times after because I could not believe the first bullet was so good. The round balls dropped out of the Lee Mould with no problems. This is good stuff. If your not familular it coats the mould with a micro particle graphite coating.

kir_kenix
07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I use this this product as well. It does its job very well, but you have to make sure that it gets cleaned out of the rest of the mold block or it cant vent. I like to rub it off right away with a shop towel, otherwise it is kind of a pain to get off the mold.

leftiye
07-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I use nuthin, nada, zip. Works fine. Blueing your mold helps, though a natural blue happens on iron molds as they "season." I suspect that molybdenum disulfide powder rubbed onto your mold surfaces works even better. Or a #2 pencil - coat the surface with graphite. I've heard that soapstone (welder's marking stick) works good too. But nuthin' works fine too.

jh45gun
07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Well my Ideal Mould was a bit sticky getting the bullets out so I wanted to try this and it works as advertised. For me the ten bucks is worth not having the agravation of tapping on the mould to get the bullet to drop some times tapping more than I wanted to.

pjh421
07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Have you measured the castings with a micrometer? A cold mould is smaller than a hot one. Just curious.

Paul

jh45gun
07-07-2008, 10:37 PM
No I did not measure the only reason that I mentioned the cold mould is that NORMALLY it would take a few bullets to get the mould to start casting good bullets. These looked good right out of the chute all filled out and sharp looking.

leftiye
07-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Lap it a little, polsh it that is, boolits will drop out nicely. Then blue it.

jh45gun
07-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I use nuthin, nada, zip. Works fine. Blueing your mold helps, though a natural blue happens on iron molds as they "season." I suspect that molybdenum disulfide powder rubbed onto your mold surfaces works even better. Or a #2 pencil - coat the surface with graphite. I've heard that soapstone (welder's marking stick) works good too. But nuthin' works fine too.

Well your suggesting using a pencil and this stuff then would pretty much be the same putting graphite on the mould only this is in an easy spray.

jonk
07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I hate the stuff. I find it sprays on so thick that it causes a lot of pockmarks in the bullets. The only good use for it is to spray muffin tins when making ingots.

ryan richards
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi CBOs,

I'm new to this activity and therefore I read a lot and take notes about everything.

Leftiye said "Lap it a little, boolits will drop out nicely. Then blue it."

1) How do you "lap" a bullet mould?
2) What are the mistakes to avoid?
3) How do you "blue" a mould?
4) What is the reason to "lap" and "blue"?

Sincerely,

Ryan

copdills
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I think a lot of guys here put it on with a Q tip and just in the cavity, but I have never tried it thanks for the information

dragonrider
07-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Ryan on the forums listing page the first one is "Classics and Stickeys" in that forum you will find a title "Leementing" and in there you will find a description of lapping a mold, it works for steel as well as aluminum molds.

compass will
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree it works great on muffin pans, just made around 12 dozen on Sunday :)

I use it on molds sometimes. It cleans right out with a tooth brush and some CRC Brake Clean.
Just be sure to let it try before you heat the mold up.

Sprue
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Save yourself some jingle and just smoke your molds.

I do have a can of the Frankfort Dropout. The only reason that I have it is because I picked it up at an estate sale.

I had also thought about buying some from Midway a couple years back until I found out that Hazmat fees apply to the stuff and has to be shipped ground.:roll:

I did try it out recently........... see my first comment above.

runfiverun
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
to blue or brown a mold you use it.
think of a set of chrome exhaust pipes.
you can keep them chrome if you wanna polish them everytime you use them.
but a blue or gold mold has taken a set and heat cycled a few times.
when you see this if the boolits don't wanna drop then you need to knock the edges off the mold part lines.
hence the lapping..

jh45gun
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Save yourself some jingle and just smoke your molds.

I do have a can of the Frankfort Dropout. The only reason that I have it is because I picked it up at an estate sale.

I had also thought about buying some from Midway a couple years back until I found out that Hazmat fees apply to the stuff and has to be shipped ground.:roll:

I did try it out recently........... see my first comment above.

I did try smoking my moulds and for me it just did not work. This stuff does but like they say different strokes for different folks. If smokeing works for you fine for me the bullets still stuck in several of my moulds.

Jon K
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't be without it............I don't use it inside the mould, but I use it on the top of the sprue plate, on the outside of the mould, on the ladle, and now on the inside of one of my melting pots. It keeps the splatter from sticking to the outside of the mould, and sprue plate. It keeps the ladle and pot clean.
The underside of the sprue plate, top of the mould and the pins &pin holes get Bullshop Sprue Lube- follow directions.

Everybody has their own method, so this works for me.........

Jon

Tom Herman
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I use this this product as well. It does its job very well, but you have to make sure that it gets cleaned out of the rest of the mold block or it cant vent. I like to rub it off right away with a shop towel, otherwise it is kind of a pain to get off the mold.

The product works well, but I make sure that I brush the graphite residue out of the vent lines. No pock marks in the bullets, works great!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom