PDA

View Full Version : Machinist to make upgraded parts for Single Shots

Weaponologist
03-12-2017, 11:37 PM
I'm just looking for a Machinist that has probably made what I'm looking for before. I hear so many people looking for these upgrades but it so hard to find someone to fill the need. I feel that on a site like this there must be a person that could profit from this.

Even thou H&R has closed there is still a need for Trigger Guards and Spacers as well as Butt Plates made of Metal? either Brass or Just Blued.
If anyone here is doing any of these please let me know.

EDG
03-13-2017, 01:40 AM
There was a guy doing this at Graybeards.
Any machinist with a small CNC mill can make those parts.
But they are not going to make them for free.

1. You need a good engineering drawing. The drawing is basically part of the contract that defines what is to be delivered. If you can supply a good CAD model they can take the programming data right from the model.
2. There is what is called non-recurring effort that has to be paid for. That is programming, hard tooling (such as fixtures and jigs).
3. The machinist may have to buy a few expendable tools such as carbide form cutters.
4. The machinist has to plan and execute the work.

There should be enough volume to get the cost of the parts down to something reasonable and still pay for all of the other stuff plus provide some profit for the machinist other wise he can find more profitable things to work on.

Just guessing without doing the numbers, I would guess you would need orders between 50 and 100 of each item to keep the price low yet make it profitable.
A smart guy might plan on making both a trigger guard and a spacer out of the same piece of brass with the same set up and same program.
Run the program and you get one of each part. Or maybe 2 of each part for a total of 4 parts per machine cycle. That means less set up and less machine time. Cheaper parts in the end.

jmorris
03-13-2017, 08:31 AM
IIRC Brownells had a kit at one point where you could take a broken butt plate and make an impression in something like clay then mix some sort of epoxy and pour it into your "mold" to form a new part.

I don't know if they still offer it but if you wanted 1 reproduction of a butt plate it would be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than if I programmed a CNC and set up the tooling to machine one from a billet.

GhostHawk
03-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Graybeardsoutdoors has a dedicated H&R centerfire rifles forum section. All the real handi-holics hang out there.

Strongly suggest you check it out. Also their FAQ on H&R/NEF is awesome resource.

Weaponologist
03-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks Guys,
I am a Member at GrayBeards, There is a guy making Spacers and I have my order in with him. But he's just taking on the Spacers at this time. And those will take a while because he has a lot on his plate at this time. I wouldn't want to take anything from him and wouldn't even be asking this question if he hadn't told me he wasn't able to make these other parts at this time. and I thought if some one here was already set up and making any of these I could get on the list.. I think we all thought the H&R would be around forever. Now that reality has set in I just want to upgrade a few of these Rifles and put back in my collection for my future little carbon copy shooters...lol...

But Really all Nostalgia aside, I was just shaking the trees over here Hopping someone was making some of these parts.....

nekshot
03-14-2017, 07:59 AM
no wrong in asking, I also considered this idea and decided when I must have the metal or brass items I will get out the hacksaw and grinders.

kywoodwrkr
03-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Some years back I endeavored to produce some brass TGs and fore end spacers.
Researched available products at that time and couldn't find very many still available.
I measured an original never installed plastic TG and spacer from one of my H&Rs.
Brass for four TGs would run about $75 with spacers somewhat less. I figured a set at ~$30/set
Steel to purchase was way cheaper, I used scrap in the shop.
Another very real cost is in machine time and tools.
I made holding jigs, 5 or 6 can't remember, to hold TG in position for a given operation.
There are two holes to be drilled/milled for springs.
Cavity for trigger has to be centered and milled out.
One side of this cavity has a trigger extension relief cut in it.
Finally the loop is milled narrower.
One of my bigger mistakes was using the plastic TG to determine pin hole position.
Plastic will give somewhat when pins are driven through it, brass and steel are not so forgiving.
After cutting TG I measured relative pin hole position on receiver and found the guards I had produced had pin holes about .017" to far apart.
Also the little finger rest at rear was measured as being too high. Again, plastic is forgiving, metal not so much!
$30 material+machine/design time+tools=rather expensive set(s) in my humble opinion.