PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
03-12-2017, 09:34 AM
How Jesus Loves Me

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35).

Scripture Focus: John 13:31-35

Most of us tend to be careless about Jesus' clear command to love others as He has loved us. Ironically, His disciples let it go right over their Heads. They simply changed the subject!

To discover how we are to love others, we need first to know how Jesus loves us. He totally accepts us exactly as we are, even when we're not a pretty sight. He's never too tired to give us His undivided attention.

Jesus is firm when we’re taking a wrong path, but He is never harsh. When tragedy or scandal enter our lives, He stays by us. He is never fickle.

Jesus is not afraid of intimacy. He even longs for it. He continually lifts us up before His Father in prayer. Though Jesus is high and exalted, He calls us His friends. He puts our well-being before His own - even unto death.

Why did Jesus give this command? He wanted the world to stand amazed as they took note of the startling resemblance between Christians and their Lord and Teacher.

Insight: Think of how much Jesus loves you. Then ask yourself, Will people observe His love in my words and actions today?

USMC87
03-12-2017, 09:53 AM
I always preach of our love for one another, The world will know we are a different specimen and we are followers of the One who displayed as we are to mock. I often hear "I don't like or love" this brother or sister, I say well we all have different personalities that may collide with each other but to divide ourselves shows our true inner thoughts. I am thankful for the ability to love that was given to me from God, I had no love to others before I was show how to love.

davidheart
03-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Thank you for the word. I had to especially mediate a moment on the "Jesus is firm when we are taking the wrong path, but He is never harsh" comment.

I have three children all under 6 and sometimes they could be a handful (this morning being one of those mornings!). I didn't have a father growing up except the occasional abusive stepfather. I try to remember the way God is toward me as a reflection of the way I should be as a father and the reminder is most helpful.

Thank you.

1johnlb
03-12-2017, 11:31 AM
We love Him because He first loved us and we show our love for Him by our love for others.

It's written, if we'll judge ourselves, we won't be judged. My personal litmus that I've become more and more conscious of is, how much hate can I love through. Although it doesn't come close, It's become my way of comparing my on love to the love He gave me.

Boaz
03-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Thank you rl69 . That we are able through the many verses (so many I will not attempt to or need to confirm ) that we are to love one another . Bible doesn't say we have to agree with each other to love one another . Christian love should be blind . Refusal to love another by church affiliation , no church affiliation , the lost , the agnostic , the self professed atheist ..... . Jesus Christ put no limits to love .

My personal conviction to love has increased . The second great commandment is simple and specific .
Matthew 26; 36-40

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

No measure give by our Lord , no exceptions by our judgement . Just....LOVE THY NEIGHBOR .

At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging I have made much progress loving all . Main reason is that I have decided to let GOD judge them not me . Sure relieves me and is as should be according to his word .

buckwheatpaul
03-12-2017, 04:15 PM
rl69 A great post.......but BOAZ added a thought that is helping me get a grip on loving those that are mean and harsh toward me, "Bible doesn't say we have to agree with each other to love one another" I have never thought about that way.....thanks for the help guys!