PDA

View Full Version : A handy homemade gadget

nagantguy
03-11-2017, 10:16 PM
I was slaving away today trying to get everything setup and mounted on my new loading bench trying this and that, not so much cleaning as moving piles to make room for my island style loading area that will have enough room on it of all my gear and offer 360*. Work space, my 5 year old niece was a huge help and as happens I suddenly was struck by an idea! Yeah it happens; so I took this d cutting board that I found in the debris field and drilled and routered some appropriate sized holes in it and now it holds 90 300 blackout or 38/357 sized cases! Branch isn't done mess isn't cleaned up but I have one of these!

bob208
03-11-2017, 10:19 PM
and it holds them on the ceiling to give more bench space.

nagantguy
03-11-2017, 10:21 PM
I do not know why my pics post upside down;sorry guys it's not anti gravity loading block, that'll have to wait till the bench is done!

castalott
03-11-2017, 10:31 PM
He has invented a brass magnet! He's gonna be rich! :p Just kidding....

Skipper
03-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Turn your phone upside down.

jonas302
03-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Looks nice Until your wife is looking the the cutting board....

nagantguy
03-11-2017, 11:22 PM
One step ahead on that this is not the kitchen cutting board that one is a very old thick wide maple slab that was left to me when my grandmother passed on to her reward! I don't know where this one came from just in a pile of loading room mess. Well it has a purpose now and it worked out just right on the first try!

bedbugbilly
03-12-2017, 12:14 AM
What a great idea for an over the bench light - an LED light in each of those inverted casings and it will by like having many multiple "cylinder lights"! :-)

All kidding aside . . you can always use loading blocks and a good use for something laying around collecting dust!

Don't fret about the photo . . . it's kind of an "upside down" world today as it is! :-)

308Jeff
03-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Nicely done. Properly fitting loading blocks are very nice to have.

54bore
03-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Nicely done. Properly fitting loading blocks are very nice to have.

I stil use the cheapy plastic RCBS universal loading blocks, i need to make a few that fit like these! Nicely done!

44man
03-12-2017, 09:33 AM
I made all mine from oak. I have one press mounted on my bench, the RCBS Big Max. I have so much stuff there is no way to have a big enough bench so I bought a Thompson Tool Mount. I got one plate with it so I made a bunch more from brass 1/4" thick to fit. (Got the brass free.) Everything from case trimmers, powder measure and shotgun presses slide on the one plate on the bench. My lee press, Lyman turret and the lube-sizer all slide on and it is solid enough. Can even put a vise on it if you want. Greatest space saver EVER!190311 This is it. The bench plate is not a bother.
For all my stuff, I would need a 50' bench. It takes seconds to go from one tool to another. If you are handy, you can make it all. But the price was right.
You need to route holes in the top so the studs fit. The bench plate is 1/8" steel. Only need 1/8" for tool plates too.
My bench is small and full of junk but I still have room to load with this thing.

Taylor
03-12-2017, 09:45 AM
and it holds them on the ceiling to give more bench space.

:drinks::bigsmyl2:

44man
03-12-2017, 10:44 AM
:drinks::bigsmyl2:
It is funny like the add on TV with the family on the ceiling to eat. How does he keep powder in?

mold maker
03-12-2017, 11:26 AM
I made sets from 3/4" Baltic birch scrap at work many years ago. Ya just can't have enough to keep all the projects separated and in process at the same time. All mine reside in a milk crate when not in use, but I haven't figured out the brass magnet thing yet.

44man
03-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Need a lead magnet too.

Wayne Smith
03-12-2017, 08:14 PM
One step ahead on that this is not the kitchen cutting board that one is a very old thick wide maple slab that was left to me when my grandmother passed on to her reward! I don't know where this one came from just in a pile of loading room mess. Well it has a purpose now and it worked out just right on the first try!

Don't cha remember - ya put it there for exactly that purpose, finally got round 2 it.

castalott
03-12-2017, 09:18 PM
If he had a brass magnet and a lead magnet, he would have to mount his press up side down....