PDA

View Full Version : The patriot

Boaz
03-11-2017, 09:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-BQi0JjY2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1vWK2yf9Y0

Ithaca Gunner
03-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Good movie, lacking in historical fact, but entertaining none the less.

jonp
03-12-2017, 09:15 AM
They do take liberties with the story line but what film doesn't? I enjoyed it a great deal and my wife loves it. Gibson's character talking about cutting off the ears of Indians and sending them down a river on a raft as a warning to other tribes actually did happen.

Thumbcocker
03-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Love their version of Cowpens

Geezer in NH
03-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Don't that Gibson got some strong feeling less fingers :kidding:

jonp
03-12-2017, 12:52 PM

Most don't realize that The Battle of Katies Cowpens was one of the most pivotal of the war.

quilbilly
03-12-2017, 04:39 PM
My great, great, great grandfather raised a small regiment in the Anderson/Belton South Carolina area which is the reason I particularly enjoyed the movie even with the literary license. Haven't been there but I understand the cannon they captured is still in front of the museum in Anderson, S.C.

Thumbcocker
03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
I think that the mythologizing of the revolutionary war has been to the detriment of how good many of the leaders were as commanders. Washington was a heck of a general and IMHO shined at picking the war his nascent army could fight. The little I have read on the forage war is a good example of this. Gates at cowpens didn't ask his militia, armed with rifles with no provision for bayonets, to slug it out toe to toe with British regulars. He was a good leader who asked his militia to do what he knew they could do best. A few vollies of well aimed fire then fall back through the regulars. He also did a good job of avoiding a major battle until his forces were ready.

michael.birdsley
03-12-2017, 09:35 PM

The battle is a mix of the battle of Cowpens and the battle of Guilford court house. The battle of guilford Court house was technically a British victory but, Gen. Cornwallis had to fire grape shot into his own lines to push the continentals back. Afterwards he had to go to York town to regroup and the rest his history. All of the characters in the patriot are based on actual people just names changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael.birdsley
03-12-2017, 09:37 PM
I think that the mythologizing of the revolutionary war has been to the detriment of how good many of the leaders were as commanders. Washington was a heck of a general and IMHO shined at picking the war his nascent army could fight. The little I have read on the forage war is a good example of this. Gates at cowpens didn't ask his militia, armed with rifles with no provision for bayonets, to slug it out toe to toe with British regulars. He was a good leader who asked his militia to do what he knew they could do best. A few vollies of well aimed fire then fall back through the regulars. He also did a good job of avoiding a major battle until his forces were ready.

Gates wasn't in command at cowpens it was Daniel Morgan. With Gen. Nathaniel Greene in command of the continentals in the south.
Gates lost command after the defeat at Camden. There's a good quote about how fast and far he ran after the defeat but, it is escaping me at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Allen
03-12-2017, 09:39 PM
My other favorite Last of the Mohicans.

Thumbcocker
03-12-2017, 09:49 PM
You are correct I was thinking of Morgan.