PDA

View Full Version : New Scope

Denver
07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I've been eyeballin the Leupold Rifleman 2x7 scope at Wally World for some time to use on a Marlin 336. The regular price has been about $195, but yesterday I went by the counter and they had them priced at $139 on closeout. :-D:-D. Needless to say, one followed me home. Thought it was a good way to start spreadin some of that "economic stimulus" money around.

:Fire::castmine::Fire:

redneckdan
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
hmmm.......[smilie=1:

Denver
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
hmmm.......[smilie=1:

Yes, it would make a dandy addition to that 99 if that's what you're thinkin.

:drinks:

James C. Snodgrass
07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
:mrgreen:Every thing I've read about them is they are the same as the old vari-x II can't beat that quality for 139.00. As far as power goes any thing above 6X is a plenty for any kind of big game.

Tom W.
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I saw the same thing last Saturday, except the space where the scope was supposed to be was EMPTY!

NVcurmudgeon
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
According to the lady at SWFA, Rifleman and VXI are imported and VXII and higher prced scopes are American made.

Denver
07-07-2008, 05:42 PM
According to the lady at SWFA, Rifleman and VXI are imported and VXII and higher prced scopes are American made.

From the Leupold Riflescope Owner's Handbook, "All Leupold Golden Ring products are manufactured in the USA". The warranty card also states, "Thank you for purchasing a Leupold Rifleman scope. We believe you've made the best decision in choosing a Leupold product and are confident it will give you years of outstanding service. Like all Golden Ring products , this scope was made in the USA by a team dedicated to building the best products available".

Good enough for me.

leadman
07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a VXII, VXI, and a Rifleman. All are good, but the VXII (which is about 10 years old) definitely has better resolution. The VXI is almost as good (2 years old), while the Rifleman is good, but could be better.

With the Rifleman in the woods with shadows it is not as easy to see things like wild turkeys and antlers. Still much better than 95% of the imported chinese, etc.

I do prefer to buy American.

NVcurmudgeon
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
From the Leupold Riflescope Owner's Handbook, "All Leupold Golden Ring products are manufactured in the USA". The warranty card also states, "Thank you for purchasing a Leupold Rifleman scope. We believe you've made the best decision in choosing a Leupold product and are confident it will give you years of outstanding service. Like all Golden Ring products , this scope was made in the USA by a team dedicated to building the best products available".

Good enough for me.

Thanks, Denver. I got a new VXII 2-7 compact, or lightweight, or what ever they call it, last week, but we experts often don't read the literature.

Denver
07-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I also have a VX-II that I bought maybe 20-25 years ago. Probably paid less than what this new one cost. It's served me well on various rifles over the years. I also have a drawer full of Tascos, Bushnells, and Simmons scopes that didn't hold up. Most came with used guns that I bought or traded for. One 4X Tasco lasted about 6 shots on a 458 Model 70 I had and was shooting 500 grain cast boolits in.
It appears that the middle lense(s) are now resting at about 45 degrees from verticle and the view is very distorted. :mrgreen:
Anyway, my intent for posting originally was to give a heads up on a good deal that won't last long.

:castmine:

MtGun44
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
When Meade took over Simmons, they came out with a new
"Master Series" of scopes that have been very good, esp for the
low price, unlike my (and others) not so good experience with
other low price scopes. So far I find these to be a welcomed
exception to the rule. :drinks:

Of course, for any important hunting trip - I use Leupold, but for
some of my "less serious" rifles, I can't really afford to put Leupolds
on all of them.:(

Well- I do have a Nikon on the 629 in my pic on the left...... .

YMMV

Bill