PDA

View Full Version : Reflections

blackthorn
03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
The recent thread on "Lying chickens", for some reason , got me thinking. I started to compose a post to go in that thread but decided to start this new offering instead.

My grandfather and family (wife and one child) immigratedto Canada from Scotland around 1897. MyDad was born soon after they arrived. Later,there were two more girls and two boys born to my Grandparents. My Grandfather eventually moved toSouth-central Manitoba where he owned a General Store. During the depression, Grandpa wasreluctantly forced to acquire several farms due to the inability of some folksto pay their bills. My Dad wound up withone of those farms. It was a quarter section(160 acers), which he farmed using horses (of course). Dad also worked for the Railway as a carchecker and had the misfortune to have his foot crushed by some falling metalplates from an insecure car and that caused him lifelong problems. My parents were married in 1927 and afterseveral miscarriages, they decided to adopt, and in 1939 they got me at an ageof 8 months. In 1948 Dad bought atractor. He quickly found that tractorsand machinery designed for horses do not mesh well. His solution was to let the farm out onshares, at one third for him and two thirds for the “lessee” who supplied theequipment and fuel/labor. Dad dividedthe farm into two equal parts, 80 acres to crops and 80 acres topasture/hay. Our one third of the cropswas used to feed our livestock and (hopefully) have a bit to sell for a bit ofcash. We had eight milk cows (withassociated offspring), and two brood sows. Dad kept four horses and he had assorted fowl,amongst which were about two hundred chickens. We had no running water, rather we carried our water for household needsin buckets from our well (about 1000 yards). Our water for washing was collected in a holding tank and came from the eve-troughsthat were installed on all four sides of the roof. We had no electric power until 1948 and nophone until 1953/4. We had a largegarden and Mother canned a lot of produce for winter use. We kept Bees (six hives). We sold cream from the cows, weaner piglets,beef calves, chickens and eggs, as well as any surplus grain or garden produce. We were close to being self-sufficient andwhile we never had much money, we had a great life! My folks raised me to be independent, (perhapstoo much so) and I hope they can look down and be proud of what theyaccomplished. I got a GREAT deal!

Boaz
03-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Thank you for the story !

xs11jack
03-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the great bit of real history and the way the people lived in a bygone era. It also got me to thinking about how we live now with the electronic technology driving our lives. It's like we are all on a rocket ship that is accelerating at an ever increasing rate. And there are people like me and many of you here are not sure that this ride is what we want out of life. If we had our way, we would like to slow down the rocket and get a change to get off if we want to or at least slow it down a bunch. I know that I would like to live in a more honest, moral, religious world. I don't fault the people that have tried to make living easier and better, I fault the evilness that has perverted it. While I haven't had as hard a life as some of you here, I do remember and will never forget times like this: at age 12, after my dad died in an industrial accident, I was given a small horse that I boarded a half of a mile outside of the very small (60+people) village that I lived in. I watered him morning and night by carrying two five gallon shotgun cans from my house to the farm that we, my mother and me, rented a pasture and and a makeshift stable. In the winter more than once I carried those cans, we poured them full of hot water so that they wouldn't freeze while walking a half mile thru a snowstorm so bad I wasn't sure sometimes just where I was, but like D. Boone, I never was lost, just a bit confused occasionally about where I was. Yes, those time are lost forever, but you know, sometimes, when I see a person that has dementia, or Alzheimer disease, I wonder if in their little world they aren't reliving a time past, I hope they are! What is the point of this rant, well I guess there might be one for each of us if we want it, at least in our memories.
Ole Jack