PDA

View Full Version : what is range lead pickup worth?

ddhotbot
07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
i have an old friend who spent many hours digging lead out of the berms at the gun club for years. he then melted it down and poured it in 1lb ingots, but as you can guess he never got around to making any bullets. now he has approx 1500-2000 lbs in his basement that he will never use and cant hardly get down his basement steps. i know he could use the money so i am trying to help him out. what is this lead worth? any ideas would be apprec. thanks

colbyjack
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
if you want to move it really fast go $29.80 shipped. that'll give everyone a flat box of lead for $20 and he'll have the $9.80 in shipping. if you want to hold on to it for a while and piece it out $50 flat rate shipped. range lead here goes about .32/.45 a pound good luck and let us know what he wants depending on price id take a few boxes. -chris

jhrosier
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
You want to help him out, put it on ebay for a buck a pound plus shipping and carry the boxes to the post office for him.

Jack

targetshootr
07-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Where are you? If you're in NC I'll take some off his hands.

Fish_N_Russ
07-07-2008, 02:18 AM
interesting.....I just did the same thing the other day.......go out to a popular shooting spot and start digging in the bank for slugs. I learned a person needs a screen setup just like gold mining and it could work pretty good!

ddhotbot
07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
we are in st louis mo. ,thanks for the ideas ,i will have to give this some thought.

GabbyM
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Ebay . Last time I looked people their had not figured out the price of lead has fallen to under one dollar. Scrap lead price today is 32 cents LTL. http://www.scrapindex.com/metal.html
.54 TL (truck load). Yards will generally charge you truck load price to purchase then add a little just for fun. Your friends lead cast up in usable ingots is value added above lose scrap. At least for a bullet caster. So I'd say .70 per lb. a fair price. Of course 24 hour lead price is $.71 today! That's an industrial price FOB. You being in MO where our lead is mined could come close to that if you bought three tons or more. Plus cost to ship or haul it yourself. ebay buyers are paying delivered to their door price.

That $.71 price represents a $.15 drop in the month of June. Down from $1.30+ per lb just a couple months ago. Way down from it's peak at over $1.80.

I'd try to sell it for $50 for a 50lb USPS flat rate box shipped. You've a bit of work to pack it up. Ingots need to be warped in card board bundles then taped up tight. Otherwise the ingots will puncture the box. Search ebay to see what it's going for this week.

h1tdk00
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
ddhotbot, I just sent you a PM. I'm in the St. Louis area and could possibly buy some and pick it up.

Tim

EMC45
07-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Couldn't you sell the jackets for copper scrap?

LeadThrower
07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
emc45,
I was wondering what to do with my copper jackets -- dusty with dross from the melt, a real mess. Took a bucket of that crud to the scrap yard to see what they'd give me. Long story short, it's not worth my time to pack boxes to sell, but it's certainly worth my time to harvest all that copper!

colbyjack
07-10-2008, 10:39 PM
emc45,
I was wondering what to do with my copper jackets -- dusty with dross from the melt, a real mess. Took a bucket of that crud to the scrap yard to see what they'd give me. Long story short, it's not worth my time to pack boxes to sell, but it's certainly worth my time to harvest all that copper!

i took 19 pounds of jackets and got $20 and some change -chris

Shotgun Luckey
07-10-2008, 10:48 PM
if selling on Evil-bay, you may want to price it a little lower and let them run up the bids, if you start at $1 a pund it usually sits there. Just my observation.