PDA

View Full Version : .40 Magma mold in Glocks

dverna
03-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Need advice for which Magma bullet runs well in a Glock 22 Gen 4.

This will be used for target shooting. Alloy is 92-2-6

runfiverun
03-08-2017, 12:33 AM
I use their 38-40 rnfp [.402] in the SIL's Taurus.
it's the best shooting ammo in that gun ever, it far out shoots even jacketed stuff.

ioon44
03-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I have shot a lot of the 175 gr SWC & 180 gr TC bullets from Magma molds with the 92-2-6 alloy out of Glock 22's, fit is king slug your barrel and go .002" larger than the barrel slug.

What lube are you using? I have the best results with Hi-Tek coating.

HATCH
03-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I load the 180 TC magma.
I also sent a mold off and had it hallow pointed. It's 172 grain now. So I cast both the hp and the reg.
I run it in Glock 22,23,27 and a ruger p94(think that is the #)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dverna
03-08-2017, 10:02 AM
What lube are you using? I have the best results with Hi-Tek coating.

As I have a Star, it will be one of the commercial lubes. I intend to start with 2500 as I have that on hand for a few rifle projects I am working on. I also have Caruba Red but it may be better suited to higher velocities than the .40 will deliver. I also have BLL but would prefer using something that will run in the Star as it will be more efficient.

I have no interest in HiTek even though I know it is effective. It suffers from being a two step process...sizing....and then coating.

bstone5
03-08-2017, 10:56 AM
The 180 round noise with flat point is what I cast. Have shot thousands of these that are powder coated with a home made gas check, several IDPA shooters also use the same bullet. Cast with an Automated Master Caster usually cast around 3000 at a time. The powder coating with the home made gas check results in a very clean barrel after a lot of shooting at the range.

W.R.Buchanan
03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Don: I started PC'ing boolits last year and so far the results in my .45's and 40's have been excellent. I cast them, stack them on a tray shoot the powder on them, and cook them in an old Toaster Oven. Then when cooled I shove them thru a push thru die and load. Only added step is the actual PCing.

You are using a Star, but there is no reason you couldn't shut off the Lube and just use it as Push Thru Sizer which would be a lot faster than what I'm doing.

As far as a Boolit type any TC or RN or RNFP design of 165-180 gr should work just fine. You don't have to run those very hard either as the Glock will run easily with lighter loads. Mine is 5.4 gr of 231 with 165 gr Copper Plated or 175 gr Cast and PC'd.

Randy

fredj338
03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
As I have a Star, it will be one of the commercial lubes. I intend to start with 2500 as I have that on hand for a few rifle projects I am working on. I also have Caruba Red but it may be better suited to higher velocities than the .40 will deliver. I also have BLL but would prefer using something that will run in the Star as it will be more efficient.

I have no interest in HiTek even though I know it is effective. It suffers from being a two step process...sizing....and then coating.
You can but I cast, coat then size. The two step process is coating & baking twice. The only downside to HT is the time coating/drying/baking & repeating. When I was sizing & lubing int eh Star I like CR for all my handgun stuff.