PDA

View Full Version : Range Idiots

Linstrum
11-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I hate shooting ranges where I am not alone. I hate them for several reasons, the following is one them.

I am not familiar with where the locals go shooting here in La Luz, New Mexico, where I am helping my father get two trucks and a tractor running. My brother-in-law told me where the local range is, so Saturday afternoon I went on over there to sight in my 7.5x54 French rifle with some new IMR7383 loads. I arrived, checked the place out, and set up some targets to sight my rifle in at 100 yards. I walked back 100 yards to my truck and portable shooting bench to fire off five test rounds when another bunch of shooters arrived and drove past me up to my fresh targets and you can guess the rest.

While these guys where point-blank shredding my just-set-up NRA 100 yard high power targets with whatever autoloaders they were shooting the thought did cross my mind to take a few shots at my targets, too. A 136-grain bullet going close to 3000 fps makes an awful loud and nasty shock wave CRACK! when the trajectory is three feet away from your ear. But I'm a nice guy most of the time and I guess these guys never had it cross their minds that some folks get more than ten feet away from their targets before pulling the trigger. A much more compelling reason, though, was that there were four of them with autoloaders and an unknown but apparently large amount of ammunition, and if I did use my own target with them standing between it and me they might have taken my intentions wrong and thought I was shooting at them!

I drove on up to the little town of High Rolls and inquired where a good place would be to shoot without bothering anybody and was informed that Fresnel Canyon was a good place. So I went down Fresnel Canyon and ended up taking some nice photos instead. Monday I think the local range will be vacant and I might be able to actually get a shot off at my own targets without somebody mistaking them as a gift left for them!

Bret4207
11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
As I said in a recent post- Manners. They just don't count for much anymore.

waksupi
11-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Linstrum, everyone should own an Egyptian Hakim. Then when the range twits show up, the muzzleblast will most likely drive them away in short order!

NVcurmudgeon
11-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Linstrum, There are two reasonably accessable ranges in my area. Carson City (24 mi.) and Washoe County (40 mi.) Both have very nice facilities. I choose the 40 mi. trip to Washoe County because there are rangemasters there. It costs either $5/day or $100/year and is well worth the price. OTOH Carson city is free, BUT no rangemasters. If I go to CC and find that there are people I consider unsafe I have three choices: (1) put up with yahoos, (2) start trouble, or (3) go home. That's why I choose the longer ride and fees. You have my sympathies, guess slobs are everywhere.

imashooter2
11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
All the ranges around here have clearly defined firing lines, so what you describe isn't a problem. What we do get is idiots finger forking their rifles while others are down range. [smilie=b:

Jumptrap
11-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I require some enlightenment from you western folks.

With a gazillion square miles of desert surrounding you, why do you need a range in the first place? Looks to me like pulling up a personal few miles of desert would be fairly easy and the best shooting place you could hope for.

Back east, I understand why some of you folks have to use public facilites if you hope to shoot at all.

I am spoiled, I confess. I go the pasturefield across the road and shoot all I want in complete privacy....no *******s to watch out for or listen to. I like quiet when I am shooting.. ..a bunch of other yahoos blasting away disturbs my concentration. When my target is poked full of holes, I don't have to wait for some other ******* to quit playing with his favorite toy or hope he doesn't shoot me in the back when I go after my target. No pinhead walking around calling himself a 'Range Officer' either and telling me when and where and what I can do.....I hate being screwed with, especially when I have a gun.

crazy mark
11-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Out here we have miles and miles of BLM and National forest to shoot in. Why some idiot or idiots decide they have to shoot where I am shooting is still a mystery. I pick dead end spurs that have good backstops. I have found the only way to get them to leave is to fire off my 14" T/C's in 30/30 or 7x30 Waters with the muzzle brakes. I have even had idiots try to pick up my brass while I was shooting. I have my own portable target frame, shooting bench and folding chair along with all the bags and such. Two guys one day even started blasting away with the ar-15's until I pulled out my mas 49/56. The noise of that was too much for them plus the hot brass kept flying in their direction. They said I was in their favorite place to shoot. On public land even. I don't like going to the ranges as there are too many restrictions about what you can shoot on what firing line. Mark

sundog
11-07-2005, 12:31 AM
I have a 50 yard range behind the barn that I use 'selectively', mostly when neighbors are not home. Behind me is over a half mile to the next road and I have a good berm set up. Felix has shot with me and he'll attest to the safety. I also belong to a private club about eight mile away with wonderful facilites and 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges and access to another spot that goes out to 300. Most times at the club, I'm there by myself unless it's a match. Not bad, but occassionally the typical range idiot is around. I confront them by introducing myself (gotta remember this is private and sometimes you run across someone you don't know or a new member) and politely but positively state any safety concern. Never a problem. Most time it's a new member not aware. sundog

NVcurmudgeon
11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I require some enlightenment from you western folks.

With a gazillion square miles of desert surrounding you, why do you need a range in the first place? Looks to me like pulling up a personal few miles of desert would be fairly easy and the best shooting place you could hope for.

Back east, I understand why some of you folks have to use public facilites if you hope to shoot at all.

I am spoiled, I confess. I go the pasturefield across the road and shoot all I want in complete privacy....no *******s to watch out for or listen to. I like quiet when I am shooting.. ..a bunch of other yahoos blasting away disturbs my concentration. When my target is poked full of holes, I don't have to wait for some other ******* to quit playing with his favorite toy or hope he doesn't shoot me in the back when I go after my target. No pinhead walking around calling himself a 'Range Officer' either and telling me when and where and what I can do.....I hate being screwed with, especially when I have a gun.

Jumptrap, Of course we have lots of BLM land to shoot on, and many of us use it frequently. Sometimes I even go on weekend camping trips with my friend Nevada Duke which are dedicated to high volume plinking. But for load development and serious practice, give me the level, known-distance, located on paved roads, range every time. Both types of shooting venue have their place, and I would not willingly give up either.

Frank46
11-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Linstrum, When I lived on long island new york there were about four or five shooting ranges available. I used to shoot at the huntington township range. Was staffed with disabled or otherwise police officers. Now these guys had the load one round at a time
thing down pat. After a cease fire was declared everyone would unload and rack their firearms and stand behind the yellow line. When the line was clear then the command to change or mark targets was given. Anyone not doing their targets was supposed to stay behind the yellow line. And no entry or leaving would be permitted during a cease fire. Well one day during the mark or change your targets time period, a new shooter to the range comes in. Sets up his stuff and fires a round down range during the cease fire. Sufficed to say after the bang there was all sorts of screaming and yelling.
Fortunately no one was hurt, except for maybe one or two guys had to head for the bathroom. The range officer to his credit had the guy rack his rifle and stay put. When everyone came back it was strangely quiet. I fully expected someone to come bounding back to the firing line with death in his eyes. After all were calmed down shooting resumed. The range officer stood by the errant shooter and very camly expalined the rules. But the guy was so embarrased and shaken up he left. So it goes to show that range officer or no range officer stuff like that can happen. Here in LA I've seen guys just get up and cross down range to change their targets while everyone else is shooting. It takes all kinds. But if I see anyone doing anything unsafe I'll go over and introduce myself and make my concerns made. Only had one idiot say no and then get the range officer. It only takes a dummy to maybe loose a range through a lawsuit, and since I shoot at two ranges down here I won't allow that to happen. We just had our new range open up two years ago after our old one of 50years was closed. Frank

45 2.1
11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
This is why I don't go to ranges, I built my own behind my barn. Cover benchrest, target board and various gongs at 100, 250 and 380 yards. No *****s to bother me, just deer feeding on the grass.

Bret4207
11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Didja' ever have deer that got so used to the shooting they feed while your popping away and the boolits are landing 50 feet from them? Funny, the 2nd day of deer season they change their attitude.

What really sucks is when you go to a range and you know some folks there and some bozo shows up drunk and does something stupid. Then those that know you and that you're a cop expect you to turn into superman and handle things while they hide behind their cars. Best way in the world to get killed is that off duty arrest crap. Cell phones sure make life easier. Once a uniform shows up you can back him, but it still stinks that the righteous cowards won't help out. Can you tell I have issues with this? I don't do public ranges anymore.

Shepherd2
11-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm one of the spoiled ones also. I haven't been to a public range in over 20 years. I've got my own ranges in the woods behind the house. I remember the range idiots all too well. More than once I've felt the need to get a vehicle between them and me. MY son and I would try to get to the range around dawn to beat the crowd.

Tpr. Bret - The deer around here are used to gunfire too. The noise doesn't seem to bother them when they are feeding. This fall I was grazing some sheep out beyond the range and in the evening when I'd go out to feed the guard dog I'd cut thru the range. There was a bumper crop of acorns falling in the short grass on the range. The deer got so used to me that they'd move off about 15 yards on either side of the path to let me pass and then go back to eating. In the morning you couldn't find an acorn anywhere.

Scrounger
11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm one of the spoiled ones also. I haven't been to a public range in over 20 years. I've got my own ranges in the woods behind the house. I remember the range idiots all too well. More than once I've felt the need to get a vehicle between them and me. MY son and I would try to get to the range around dawn to beat the crowd.

Tpr. Bret - The deer around here are used to gunfire too. The noise doesn't seem to bother them when they are feeding. This fall I was grazing some sheep out beyond the range and in the evening when I'd go out to feed the guard dog I'd cut thru the range. There was a bumper crop of acorns falling in the short grass on the range. The deer got so used to me that they'd move off about 15 yards on either side of the path to let me pass and then go back to eating. In the morning you couldn't find an acorn anywhere.

I guess that explains CarpetMan's long absence this fall... [smilie=l:

Herb in Pa
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
It's getting to be that time of year here in Western Pennsylvania (Whitetail buck season begins November 28th) where all the once a year shooters show up at the range.

I was shooting Friday afternoon when two fellows showed up. One had one of those recoil reducing contraptions that hold the rifle and both had rifles with muzzle breaks.

They proceeded to fling rounds downrange at a hurried pace attempting to zero said weapons. I'll bet you could have cooked bacon on those barrels!
I occasionally took a peek at their targets.........they left soon after, content with groups in the 3 inch range!

There won't be too many more relaxing days at the range until after November 28th. Guess I'll cast and reload instead.

wills
11-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Didja' ever have deer that got so used to the shooting they feed while your popping away and the boolits are landing 50 feet from them? Funny, the 2nd day of deer season they change their attitude.

Yep, I've seen people shooting over them during a match

MGySgt
11-07-2005, 09:53 PM

While I was stationed at Camp LeJune, on the rifle range, I seen deer try to cross the range while rapid fire was goning on at 200 and 300 yards. Of course the Range Officer would call a cease fire, but you should have heard all those M16's go on full Auto!!!!

I also have built a range in my back yard (only 175 yard max, but enough), just so I did not have to deal with the so called other shooters. I bought this house last year just so I could put a range in. The wife called the Sheriffs department before we bought just to make sure there wans't any ordance about it.

As long as it is safe, when (and if) someone calls the deputy will come out and check to ensure it is safe. I have by passed that problem by having the Sheriff out here to help me design where the range went and he has been back since it was put in. No problems - however the Elk steaks I gave him could be part of the reason also!

Reminds me, I have to call him and have him stop by so I can give him some more!

Drew

Linstrum
11-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi, guys, thanks for the response!

Hey, there, Jumptrap, nice to hear from ya! How ya doin'? Out here in this particular neck of the desert there is only a bazillion miles of empty land, over in Arizona is where they still have a gazillion. Come to think of it, though, over around Lordsburg and Deming there may still be a gazillion, but that area is over a hundred miles west of here. Used to be a gazillion miles of empty land out here in south central New Mexico, too, but the escapees from El Paso, Texas, are moving in out here and are building houses just far enough apart to make shooting anywhere one pleases impractical, so shooters tend to get clumped up in the canyons closest to the nearest burg. Last Thursday I drove up past Tularosa on U.S. Highway 70 for 40 miles before the houses thinned out enough to be sufficiently alone for shooting purposes, but a few years ago the ding-blasted road department built a five-strand barbed wire fence 54-inches high on either side of the road making it impossible to take off cross country to a good place to go shoot. For a goodly portion of the distance I drove along U.S. 70 there was railroad tracks alongside the road, too, without any means of crossing them as well. I have bolt cutters in the back of the truck and enough stainless steel lock wire to repair a fence if I have to cut one down in an emergency, but I don't want to take a chance and get caught cutting a New Mexico State Highway animal control fence just to go shooting. In the forty miles I drove there were only two cattle guards through the highway fence and one went to a state park and the other went to a rancher's house. The rancher had all sorts of "No Shooting" signs up, which I will respect come hell or high water. The railroad only had a few places where a culvert ran underneath that was tall enough to drive the Toyota 4x4 under the tracks. Nope, this place is not like it was back in the fifties when I first did any shooting out here in New Mexico and Southern Colorado. I suppose I could spend three days to weld up an official-looking sturdy gate and then haul it out to a good place and install it myself into the state highway fence to gain access to the BLM land, but then everybody and their brother would see it and then want to use it, too! Then we would all be cooped up shooting shoulder-to-shoulder again. Oh, man! I sure miss those days back then when I could just pull off to the side of the road when it got dark to get some sleep without having to worry about a drug smuggler killing me in order to take my truck because his own vehicle's engine quit from a bag of smack or coke breaking inside the gas tank and plugging up the fuel line. Actually, there are still plenty of places like it was fifty years ago where one can safely sleep overnight, camp out, and shoot to your heart's content, but they are darn hard to get to because of railroad tracks and un-gated animal control fences that run for fifty or a hundred miles without a break. I just need a helicopter is all.