PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry question

RU shooter
03-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Was wanting to get my lady a new pendant made out of fish hooks weird I know but fishing is our thing was planning on something like this 189764 I know they make stainless hooks but was wondering what would be a good wire to connect them as in the image . Was thinking maybe copper but then I figured it would just tarnish is there a was to coat it to keep the copper wire shiny if not what may be a good method or altervative . If your a jeweler I'd love to hear from you on seeing if you could craft me something like this up

Tim

Thumbcocker
03-05-2017, 08:37 PM
I bet any jeweler could do that in sterling or gold depending on how deep your pockets are. A small stone at the top or bottom would look cool too.

timspawn
03-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Stainless safety wire would work. As you said, copper will tarnish.

Triggernosis
03-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Stainless safety wire would work. As you said, copper will tarnish.

Yep, stainless safety wire for sure.

edler7
03-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Copper magnet wire. It's coated with a clear varnish for insulation. It's used in relays and such...ever seen a relay coil that was tarnished ? It's pretty easy to find on the internet, or places like Radio Shack.

quack1
03-06-2017, 08:10 AM
How about some wire fishing line? Won't tarnish or rust and fits right in with the hooks.

jonp
03-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Stainless wire. Either fishing lure making wire or maybe some used in trapping for snares/trap securement.

You can also buy "artistic wire" used by crafters/artists and repair-gate wire used in crab traps. Google stainless wire and pick the smallest guage

kingstrider
03-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Interested to see what you come up with. She will think it is special because you were thinking of her. As an alternate you could buy some fine gold wire and use that instead.

Before I went to dental school I worked as a dental technician doing crown & bridge work. Years ago a friend made this for me using an old FDP and he called it a "Bass Biter" lol. I have never used it for fear of losing it but would love to catch a fish with it some day. FWIW I have made a lot of jewelry over the years for my wife and made the ring shown in this photo using the lost wax technique. Pretty easy if you have the tools but impossible without them.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/IMG_6836.jpg

bdicki
03-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Pricey.
http://www.galleonjewelers.com/1%5Echarms-and-pendants/fishing-prod/
https://anisajewelry.com/

Thumbcocker
03-06-2017, 02:46 PM
I had a pendant made for Mrs. Thumbcocker out of a gold ten peso piece. It was melted down and used in a lot wax mold for the shape of the pendant.

RU shooter
03-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Thanks all I found some sterling silver wire at the craft store that's fairly cheap and I already have the hooks from the last time I went to the outer banks fishing . That idea about a stone set in it is a good idea she does like topaz

Thanks , Tim