PDA

View Full Version : Brand New to Reloading: Advice for those of us on a tight budget?

Sweet McAwesome
03-04-2017, 09:44 PM
So my dad just started reloading and it's something I've talked to a few people about in years past, but never really pursued. I think that with the current price of ammo, it's probably worth my time and effort to learn a new skill. One that not only saves me some money but is also a pretty viable bit of knowledge. I understand that in this case, I have to spend some money to save money in the long run, but as of now I'm on a pretty tight budget. Any advice you have for finding equipment at a steal of a price is more than greatly appreciated.

So I have a few questions:

What are some good ways/places to get equipment at a deal?

What equipment would you guys recommend for someone loading .40 S&W pistol rounds now, but probably .308 and 7.62x54r in the future?

How many licks does it really take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

What tools will I need to go along with the reloading equipment?

What is a good work station setup? Basically, how much space and what sort of layout works for you?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains. I'm looking forward to your insights.

starmac
03-04-2017, 09:57 PM
If buying new you can definately get started with a lee singlestage press, shell holder and dies.
You will want a way to measure powder, and I am not crazy about the lee scales and you eventually will want a good set of scales, BUT you can get started with a set of lee dippers. I will probably get flamed for that, but I started with a lee loader and a leather hammer, along with the will to make my own ammo.

The first thing to get is a good manual.
I know people that don't have any dedicated space, just mount their press on a piece of 2 x6 and clamp it to a table or bench when using.

jmort
03-04-2017, 10:03 PM
What is you budget???

Gofaaast
03-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Save your penny's and work extra every chance you get If that's an option. Watch this sight for deals as well as eBay. $400 will more than cover what you need out of the gate to get what you need. I would get a RCBS reloading kit if I was in your position.

flyer1
03-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Get Lymans 50th edition reloading manual. Read it 2 times. Then decide.

Mike

OS OK
03-04-2017, 10:07 PM
I would start out by purchasing a Lymans loading manual and reading it to become familiar with the terms, tools and general practices.
Then you would have gone through a 'basic introduction' where you would be more able to discuss all the things you don't understand.

HeavyMetal
03-04-2017, 10:18 PM
I'm with the other on a good manual, Lyman is OK but you might get a better deal out of Lee Handloading manual as well.

You can never have to many manuals!! Having both I'd start with Lee's but the just me, suit yourself on this.

Equipment, a big subject but I will suggest staying away from a progressive until you've got a year or twos reloading under your belt!

Best buy on todays Market is either Lee's Classic cast or MEC's new press if you can find one at a reasonable price, and get the stand for it as well should you buy the MEC!

You may move to a progressive soon, Dillon is the hot tip with the 550 getting the nod here if your going to load rifle on it.

However you'll find you are never going to be without a single stage press, so buy wisely!

Here and E bay are the best bet for good used press's but be aware some older press's are handicapped by early attempts to "keep" customers in the "brand" this usually means specialty shell holder and or rams, as well as off size dies diameters.

Stick with the Universal shell holder style as used by Lyman, RCBS, Lee that way your good, stay with 7/8x14 threaded die sets, pistol should always be carbide sizing die!

If you want to get into casting post a different thread cause that one will fill a book!!!

Hope this helps!

HM

lightman
03-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Look at the stickies under the reloading equipment thread about loading benches. Lots of ideas from basic to elaborate.

merlin101
03-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Start with a single stage press of whatever brand you find a deal on (except china junk). Even years from now when you have the latest automated whiz bang pull a handle and drop a loaded shell press you'll still find plenty of use for a single stage. Lee die's are very affordable and have complete instructions on setup. Save your brass and pick up what you find at the range, even what you don't shoot , you never know what caliber gun will follow you home.
At the minimum you'll need a press, die's, powder measure, calipers, RELOADING BOOK, and I think a powder trickler is needed also.
After years of research as a youngin I never did determine just how many licks it took to get to the center of a Tootsie pop, I did find many centers off center and out of "spec" if that helps.
Work station? You're talking to the wrong guy here, I seem to overflow whatever space I'm given.
Keep asking questions and weigh the answers carefully , bad info is everywhere even on this site!

garym1a2
03-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Get a Lee Classic turrent press. 40 S&W will need all four stages. Also get a decent scale to weigh powder, or at least check it. Calipers are also needed.

rl69
03-04-2017, 11:02 PM
+1 on the lee classic turret press! Run it single stage tell you get your feet good and wet.

GRUMPA
03-04-2017, 11:08 PM
I think the best thing you could do would be to find a knowledgeable mentor. Some areas depending on where you live may be more difficult than others, but it's not an impossible task either.

Ickisrulz
03-04-2017, 11:08 PM
This is about what I started with. You'd just need dies and a way to clean your brass. I had no mentor and no Youtube when I started. I just read the book and did what it said. I clamped the press to my kitchen table or coffee table. I made lots of ammo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

(https://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit)

lylejb
03-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Many years ago, I started reloading to be able to shoot more. I was on a tight budget and simply couldn't afford to buy factory ammo more than occasionally. I started with a couple of manuals. I needed to know what i needed, and as importantly, what I could do without. This was way before the internet and great sites such as this. I settled on an rcbs " reloaded special" press. I wanted, but couldn't afford a rock chucker press. I figured this would get me by until I could get something better. Well here we are almost 30 years and many thousands of rounds later and I'm still using the very same Rs3. The point is if you buy good equipment to start, you won't have to buy it again. This doesn't mean the most expensive or fanciest it means good value and durable. That press has done everything from 38 special and 223 to brass forming for a Norma mag. I use mostly rcbs equipment because it lasts and just in case it doesn't they have a lifetime warranty .

54bore
03-05-2017, 12:01 AM
I would save up and buy good solid reputable equipment, RCBS, Redding, Dillon, In reloading equipment you get what you pay for! In most cases that is. I have a few Lee products, i have been loading for nearly 30 years now and know how to pick the Lee tools that i know work, Lee reminds me of harbor freight, it works (most of the time) but in my opinion there are way better tools and using them side by side you will notice the difference! Reloading equipment is something i would NOT skimp on. Save up and buy 1 time with no regrets!

popper
03-05-2017, 12:14 AM
If dad is close by, good joint project for both to learn. Saves on your budget and you get to decide what to get.

country gent
03-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Used tooling can be your friend here. Its a little more work than just ordering whats available. A good used single stage press preferably an O frame. Dies set in the desired calibers. A set of powder dippers or A Good scales and possibly a powder measure. But the very first purchase is a Loading manual Lymans are very good. Then read the How to sections thru twice. After this yopu have a idea of what your buying and why, and what does what. Keep things simple to start. Learn each step and process on its own. Its easier to batch load small batches to start, 20-50 rounds at a time. Sizing, belling expanding, seating and crimping as you go.

sawinredneck
03-05-2017, 12:45 AM
You will never have enough work space!
I agree with a single stage press, you will always find a use for one.
If money is tight and going to be so for a while, the Lee classic cast turret gives you the option of a single stage and decent production when you get things figured out. Around $200 gets you pretty well set up. I also don't care for the Lee scale, but I really do like the Lee perfect powder measure.
Ive found some great deals on evilbay, seen some way over priced stuff as well! Watch Craigslist, Facebook even Letgo. Garage and estate sales are good things to check as well. But have an idea what it is and normally sells for because it's easy to think a not such a good buy is one.
I also recommend manuals, the more the better, you cannot have enough information at hand, never! A mentor is better yet.
Figure out your budget and how much ammo you think you'll need to make and it will help lead you in the right direction.

runfiverun
03-05-2017, 12:48 AM
your equipment will be your outlay.
your savings will come when you buy your components.
if you buy in bulk and use in bulk you can save money and have quality loads.

jcren
03-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Started with Lee loaders and a cobled home made press (ok, a modified nut cracker). Bought a Lee classic cast turrent and wish I had started there. Often the money spent trying to save money is money wasted. The turrent gives single stage control with the convience of having 4 stages loaded and ready. Btw, I think most of the beginner kits are full of stuff you will eventually throw away, so shop and research, and make your own kit.

Artful
03-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Ok, you want cheap - first you need knowledge
Cheapest way to get knowledge is to go to your local library system
They will have books you can read without buying
- I'm a firm believer in reading it on the taxpayer's dime to start with.

If you can find in your library Dean Grennell's ABC's of Reloading
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/513XAQVUQHL._AC_UL320_SR246,320_.jpg
https://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/9780695814151-us-300.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ek2qEqbkL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/515mF1NY-EL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Remember only Dean Grennell version

Read them - Look for the Lyman books as well
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/products/large/lyman_4th_edition_cast_bullet_manual_1242948_1.jpg
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/661/661989.jpg

Now, look at what else is available - Old reloading manuals are gold mines of information passed over in newer editions
I literally have like an 8x8 book shelf of old reloading manuals and Gun Digests - you will find that all your questions will probably be answered.

If have the knowledge you can reload with very little equipment - it won't be fast but it will work.

You need to make friends with fellow local reloaders - often times people will upgrade and sell their old equipment inexpensively to a person they know needs help.

BrutalAB
03-05-2017, 04:25 AM
Nobody has told him about all the money he wont save yet? I tried for 3 years before i realized it wasnt gonna happen, then about 6 months ago i realized thats not why i am doing this anyways.

And a set of benches that are 30 feet by 2 feet might give you enough room.

In all seriousness though:
I have found that cheaper equipment can do the job, but often times the more expensive stuff is just flat out more enjoyable to work with. And i have no desire to turn a fun hobby into unenjoyable work. (Anymore)

I started out on a lee pro 1000 (357 mag dies included, no not the 38 special dies [this is a joke in itself]), a hornady load manual, the 5 pound lee casting pot, a lee 2 cav mold. A digital scale came about 3 months later. I do not recomend learning under the conditions i did. Seriously did not have a scale starting out, i just stuck with 38 special loads and trusted lee's volume chart was correct. I also cleaned brass by putting it in a clean 1 gallon paint can with media and sat it in the trunk of the car to roll around for a few days.

As to how many licks to get to the center, it depends on the caliber and how fast you can learn from yours and others mistakes.

Ps you cant expand 38 special cases enough to seat cast bullets with lees 357 mag dies.

54bore
03-05-2017, 04:50 AM
I would STRONGLY advise going with one of these kits you can't go wrong with either of these, i have the Redding Big Boss. the RCBS is 279.00 at Midway right now, and the Redding is 344.00 they also sell one called a premium or something? Its a lot more money, and No need. Being tight budgeted go with the RCBS for 279, you will never regret buying either one of these.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/937/937051.jpg
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/898/898448.jpg

avogunner
03-05-2017, 06:00 AM
+1gazillion on Dean Grennell's book s (The ABC's of Reloading). Like many on this site I started reloading in those dark days before Al Gore's amazing internet so the only source of information was from a solid mentor or a good tutorial. I started loading with a Pacific "kit" (single stage press, scale, powder measure, etc.) and it came with a Hornady reloading manual. That manual was fine and I managed to load 50 .45 ACP that went bang but had a lot of questions that it couldn't answer. I happened upon an ABC's of Reloading book and not only was it entertaining but it had the most clear, concise, and just plain good sense loading instructions on all facets of making your own ammo. As a matter of fact, with all the misinformation I've seen from "experts" on youtube (and other places), I would suggest these before following anything on the web.
Oh, and I still refer to them after 36 years.

tommag
03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
One budget tip that comes to mind is brass cleaning. Tumblers and vibratory bowls are nice and make your brass shiny, but that's not a necessity. There's a lot of info on this site about citric acid cleaning, but I thought I'd give you the reader's digest version.
A tablespoon or so of citric acid (found in the canning supplies section of walmart, grocery stores, farm supplies stores, etc.) dissolved into a couple quarts of hot water cleans brass in only a couple minutes. Drain, rinse, and let dry. The solution can be reused by heating it up again. It won't polish the brass, but it does a great job of cleaning.

Plate plinker
03-05-2017, 09:29 AM
MY loading space is roughly 30 inches deep and 4 feet wide, but my storage area has become huge I have shelves 4 tiers high and about forty feet long. Those shelves are full of my reloading and gun stuff. Mostly reloading gear.

Now I also second buying a lyman book and finding somebody who knows what to do is a plus too. Naturally the nice people here will offer lots of advice as well. I have been loading since 2000-2001 and still call my uncle from time to time about loading stuff.

Presses are another story. You can get buy with about anything, but I am of the type who likes quality and volume so I spent big early and do not regret that one bit.

Best advice I ever received was from the before said uncle. Be patient the toys will come just get started.

Also when people say you will not save money, well thats a little bit of a joke. I have paid for all my equipment within the first year of buying it. When you load rifle rounds then you will really save money. Every stroke of the handle on 204 Ruger ammo saves me nearly a dollar.

Best of luck and welcome to the addiction.

Half Dog
03-05-2017, 09:38 AM
I am a RCBS fan. I've bought their stuff for the past 30 years and and their lifetime warranty has been a savings for me. I suggest saving and buying items 1 time.

myg30
03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
I don't think this was suggested yet but can't you spend time with your dad and use his equipment ? I'm sure he would help you learn from his trials and if he up grades his equipment then you can get a deal on his !!
You can reload together, shoot together and maybe learn together.

If that's not possible then like others said already, read, read, read and look on here for sellers with affordable equipment fer sale.

Mike

BrassMagnet
03-05-2017, 12:10 PM
I think the best thing you could do would be to find a knowledgeable mentor. Some areas depending on where you live may be more difficult than others, but it's not an impossible task either.

Best advice ever for all instances!

Besides, I have family near you that could help with the mentoring!

psweigle
03-05-2017, 12:57 PM
as stated, get a lyman 49th/50, and a lyman cast (because thats next, trust me) and read it all. then you can scour yardsales and flea markets and ebay. i started with a lee loader, rubber hammer, and a bullet puller. i still use them every now and then.

Beerd
03-05-2017, 01:15 PM
All this good advise and yet no one has answered the most important question:

bbogue1
03-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Great thread you started. I agree you need a manual (I think you have 3 digital ones) I read the Lyman twice but I find the Lee Modern Reloading to be easier to read.

I really like Country Gentlemans post. It makes practical sense. Before I got the Lyman Tru Lines I was considering a Lee Classic Turret Press and use it as a single stage until I could figure out each step. Coincidentally that is the functionality of the press I have now, one step at a time , no auto indexing. The one step at a time is important till you can get your mind around the process.

You'll need the press, a set of 4 dies to fill these 4 functions:
#1 resizer (carbide is best), decapper
#2 Mouth expanding
#3 Bullet Seating
#4 Crimp
There are 3 die sets that do the first 3 so you'll have to buy the 4th. There are 4 die sets that do them all. The 3 die sets are mainly rifle oriented, I think. In my research I find you'll buy dies once, The LEE dies seem to be good and cost less.If you are staying with pistol (short light weight cases) you can consider older equipment, but, for future investment of todays money buy modern 7/8" X 14 dies, that is the way the industry is going. Besides consider price of a NEW Modern 4 die set=under $40 - $80 an equal NEW set for old technology = $70-$110

A way to clean brass. Citric Acid wash or a bit of Amway LOC in a rolling tube works wonders till you can afford better. You'll need a method to seat primers (usually part of your press), caliper, digital or dial (digital requires spare batteries, dial is a learning process), a powder system (some way to dispense and measure powder =, a way to assure your powder is correct and a way to get the powder into the expanded case) I'd suggest a Lee Perfect Powder Measure (dippers work and are 1/3 the price, but, I think they are not as versatile and won't directly fill your case, a good scale (digital or beam scale), a powder funnel, 2 loading blocks (organization tool), some case lube, a case gauge (physical measured hole you drop your loaded round into to assure it will chamber (or you can use your barrel), a chamfer/debur tool or kit, a case length gauge, some boxes to put your dirty brass in, to hold partially complete cases, to hold bullets, to hold completed rounds (Post office small flat rate boxes work great for most of these steps - be sure to label the box or include a note inside so you'll remember what they are). You will appreciate a way to take rounds apart so get an impact bullet puller.

I agree with the comments on buying a kit. Some of the things in the kit are eye candy and you'll quickly want to replace them. Do your due diligence. The two kits pictured above look great. No eye candy. Price individual pieces (Include Amazon.com in your search, Prime membership will help reduce cost).

Find a mentor in your area that you can watch load and discus the details with........ So important. Read, read, read. Post questions and consider the answers.

jcwit
03-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Lee will get you started for a very reasonable cost. In saying that I can't say I'm a Lee fanboy, as I have every color on my bench, and use them all, but again Lee will get you started and likely you will find use for the Lee products as time goes buy and you find what pleases you.

I still use most every Lee product except for the Lee scale, way, way to light to use.

Fact is I still use Lee Loaders, but use them with a Sinclair arbor press when working up loads at the range. Sorta neat being able to reload at the range with all items fitting in a small box except for primers, powder & bullets.

BTW, I've been reloading for 55 years.

Buy some reloading books!

jcwit
03-05-2017, 01:38 PM
After thought, you really don't need a crimp die especially if reloading lead bullets, the seating die will handle that if set up correctly.

Love Life
03-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Save your penny's and work extra every chance you get If that's an option.

This.

You can also post in the helping handsout section for stuff you need.

WILCO
03-05-2017, 01:55 PM
All this good advise and yet no one has answered the most important question:

According to Mr. Owl, it's three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh5vMZjbO-I

country gent
03-05-2017, 02:14 PM
What most don't realize is this hobby grows as you go. You shoot more and are exposed to more and different firearms at the ranges. New firearm and more equipment. Oh I'm shooting more. More upgraded equipment to load faster. I need to try this or that more equipment. I started out with a lee loader in .222 rem and an old bottle capper for a arbhor press and a RCBS 5-10 scales. Loaded extremely accurate ammo with this basic equipment. Now there are 5-6 presses, case trimmers, neck turners, Bushing dies, several case polishers, powder measures and a bunch of hand tools and home made tools. Along with casting equipment. Start out how you can afford and watch it slowly grow. A dipper can be made from an empty case to rough measure powder into a scales and trickled up to exact charge to start. Most factory presses come with a means to prime. Your press can be mounted to a 2" X 12" X 24" board with bolt heads counter bored below flush and clamped to a table or existing bench to start. This is long enough that when ( not if) you buy a powder measure there is room to mount its stand on the board. Finding a mentor or guide to work with and help is a big plus as is a few Loading manuals. I really recommend the manuals before going to the internet for information. Ask at Local Gun Shops about used equipment, look at the sales bills for local auction houses, Garage sales, Flea Markets and last Pawn Shops. I have seen some pretty good equipment at Estate auctions and Pawn Shops. Also watch the Swaping and Selling section here, the for sale adds in news papers and post a want to buy add on bulletin boards at local clubs, A need help ad may find a mentor also.

JSnover
03-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Hit the gun shows near you if your library doesn't have manuals. I always see a handful of used load manuals there, usually at reasonable prices.

WILCO
03-05-2017, 02:33 PM
So my dad just started reloading and it's something I've talked to a few people about in years past, but never really pursued. I think that with the current price of ammo, it's probably worth my time and effort to learn a new skill. One that not only saves me some money but is also a pretty viable bit of knowledge. I understand that in this case, I have to spend some money to save money in the long run, but as of now I'm on a pretty tight budget. Any advice you have for finding equipment at a steal of a price is more than greatly appreciated.

So I have a few questions:

What are some good ways/places to get equipment at a deal?

What equipment would you guys recommend for someone loading .40 S&W pistol rounds now, but probably .308 and 7.62x54r in the future?

What tools will I need to go along with the reloading equipment?

What is a good work station setup? Basically, how much space and what sort of layout works for you?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains. I'm looking forward to your insights.

https://ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/7-90277_1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

Wayne Smith
03-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Any of the major reloading manuals will give you the basics of how it works. Lyman, Sierria, Hornaday, Lee, in that order of priority in my mind. You asked about work space - let me tell you what I did for years, and I've posted it here before.

If you take a reloading press - any of them - and clamp it to a strong table/bar you are in business. If you place an old towel between the top surface and the press - you don't harm the surface. If you place a small piece of wood between the bottom surface and the clamps (C clamps) you don't damage the bottom of the surface either. Thus a press and two C clamps provide you an infinite number of mounting opportunities. As long as you only leave it set up long enough to load your ammo and don't damage the furniture the women in the family won't be upset, either.

Now you have your press mounted, and a set of dies (assumed). You need a way to measure powder and a way to weigh what you have measured. You also need a place to place your shells to be reloaded - loading blocks come in handy here. Do you do woodwork or know someone who does? Easily made, and plans are on this site. Your press should have come with some way to set primers, so you have primers, powder, data, and dies. You need bullets - and for the time being you will have to buy them.

Get out your loading manual(s) and start reading. You will see how to do each step. Your equipment is in front of you - start making mistakes. You will quickly realize you need to invest in a bullet puller!

Javater
03-05-2017, 03:05 PM
I have spent many hours reading this forum, books and other sources online.
My suggestion is read the forum, get a book (some are free ebook) no need to buy them. If you want loading data find it online, ask for help or buy load data book.
As for equipment Lee Classic Turret is a minimum. Don't bother with single stage and don't bother with progressive right now.
As for cost effective with minimum waste on "kits" I recommend https://kempfgunshop.com/Kempf_Kit_w/_Lee_Classic_Turret_Press_-90064Kit-6575.html
Plus a good scale from amazon for powder, decent micro caliper at HF.

Hell, i cast my own bullets now and equipment cost me less then 20 bucks plus cost of mould.
Hot plate = 10
ladle from Goodwill = 1 (drill 3/32 hole in the middle) bottom pour ladle
SS 1.5 qt pot = 6.

Javater
03-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Also, start reading this site. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

pdf book. http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

sawinredneck
03-05-2017, 03:54 PM
I started this thread in hopes of helping people starting out from making some of my mistakes! Other members added a lot of valuable information. Might help, might not.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?326683-Newbie-equipment-mistakes

mummer1973
03-05-2017, 04:09 PM
all of these guys give great advice. I tend to not post things i am more of a listener or post reader...lol
i started out with a partner we bought a dillon 550b. We would each buy things that we needed calipers, scales, primer,
powder, bullets etc.etc. And we went from there eventually reloaded 4 different calibers. So follow these guys advice get a mentor that would be my best advice to follow. Watch them reload it may be something you dont want to get involved with.
Patience and really paying attention to what your doing is critical. But it can be fun. Good luck.

robg
03-05-2017, 04:31 PM
An hour with an experienced handloader is priceless .

tdoyka
03-05-2017, 05:34 PM

thats about the best thing offered!!!

1. read a loading manual, either the lyman or lee loading manual
2. start out with a single stage press, lee classic press is a good one
3. lyman pro 500 scale or if you the money, hornady lock n load auto charge powder dispenser
4. lee rifle and pistol dies, i still use them. hornady, rcbs, redding ...you can buy later
5. lee shell holders, you can buy a autoloader and auto primer later
6. case trimmer and a chamfer/deburrer tool
7. if you can, buy a lyman turbo 1200 tumbler and tumbling media(corn, walnut...)
8. if you can, buy alot of hornady one shot case case lube
9. primer pocket tool
10. powder funnel
11. case lube kit
12. have fun because i'm still collecting(25+ years) what i "need".

oh, i almost forgot. i'm still waiting on the "i'll save money" thing;)!!!

Echo
03-05-2017, 06:08 PM
My dos centavos - check out ebay and get an old RCBS Rock Chucker press. Should go for about $100 including shipping, considerably less than a new one for $189 plus shipping, and they don't wear out, if you treat them half-way decently. I've had mine for about 50 years, and it still works fine- I do my rifle loading on it. I have a Dillon for pistol work, but if I just want to load 100 or so 9mm's, rather than go to the hassle of changing heads and adapters on the Dillon, I'll do them on the RC.
And re ebay - you can find good buys on reloading dies, like Carbide 9mm die sets for $20, &cetera. Powder scales - I will PM you for your address and send you an RCBS 5-10, postage paid. Use mine all the time, and I have an extra. Just like a sore pecker, 'Can't be beat'.
Best of luck.

mummer1973
03-05-2017, 06:22 PM
nice gift...

sawinredneck
03-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Very nice offer Echo!

Hickory
03-05-2017, 06:41 PM
As to the original post.
Reloading is a life long endeavor, when you have everything that a man
could want or need to construct any sort of boolit or ammo, he dies.
Then his widow sells it off for pennies on the dollar, unless someone in the family takes up the hobby.
Nail that part down first by getting your children involved in shooting and reloading and it wont go down the drain.

Hick
03-05-2017, 08:56 PM
I started with th4e RCBS supreme kit and a set of dies. ~$300. That was all I needed for quite a while. As I got more particular I picked up more-- but the RCBS kit is still the centerpiece of what I do.

OnHoPr
03-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Depends on your budget really and if the bug actually catches you. If the bug don’t catch then you don’t need a lot of fancy equipment, but you do need equipment. It also depends on if your life may have a few quick turns to it possibly being younger. You are also in the introductory stage and just wanting to get in a little more trigger time and not Olympic competition.

1st? – ebay, swaping and selling of this site when you have enough post, and the rural gun shows or smaller gun shows, though the big ones can have deals if you look on older equipment. For example, I have seen good O style presses for $40 and something like a Lee hand prime for $6, etc etc.

5th? – Really on a budget, any old sturdy table will work. Maybe something off of free craigslist or make something out of pallets then put some OSB on top.

3rd? – Probably depends on which flavor

2nd? – Get a O style single stage press to start IMO. RCBS, Lee, whatever used is cheap and has standard threads. You’re just learning and if you don’t have ADD or HYPO it should get along with it fine to start. I am not sure how the die sets are set now, it has been a while since I loaded pistola. But, a set of Lee dies would be the cheapest, fine, and functional. With the carbide dies you may not have to lube the brass.

4th? – Here’s the $3 to $25 pesky stuff that adds up to give the starter the gezzzzz, all this **** thoughts.

-Reloading Book, others have mentioned beginner readings. But, I think you might be able to download one or two from this site that might get you started. I can’t remember where they are on this site though.

Powder Measuring -Scale, Lyman or rcbs, maybe a lee safety scale. Probably pick up a used Lyman or rcbs cheap. Check it with a boolit. A set of lee dippers or maybe make one out of a case and soldered on nail for the .40.
Powder funnel
Take a ¾ , 1, 5/4, or 2x whatever and drill a bunch of ½ or 5/8” holes in it for a charging tray.
Case prep – Lee trim die tool, lube, deburrer, calipers, shell holder, make a lube pad or get one
You might need a flaring die if the die set doesn’t have one
A Lee Hand Prime is invaluable with ease and time
Primer pocket tool
Maybe a neck brush for later

Now boooolits

A Lee bottom pour 10#r, but I have seen 20#rs for $25 @ gun shows then you would need a DECENT dipper, not the Lee dipper. Or, get a pot and melt it on a camp stove or whatever

Lead
Lee mold of your choosing and LLA lube or make some from the recipes on this site

You might need a sizer, maybe if one of the tumble lube boolit designs doesn’t work for you
Old tablespoon for skimming
Primers and powder

Probably missing a few things, but that should get you blasting.

Put this up where you are reloading or something of the like, so you see constantly.

The ole disc went a few years back bad finally. Last year on the 4th of July was the first time I got to the range in a couple of years. All I did was load up a 100 30-30 rounds with unsorted miscellaneous blasting 2nds of the Lee 180 gr. I didn’t even trim. I just grabbed 100 misc brass used a wilson’s punch, deprimed, lubed, sized, flared, Lee hand primed, got my tea cup and used a Lee 1.0 dipper to scoop up GD to charge the cases and seated boolits, then a Lee factory crimp and went blastin at the range. Didn’t feel like walking 100 yds and didn’t feel like changing targets either. For just general trigger time and blasting the above should get you going along with the other post suggestions.

jonp
03-07-2017, 08:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6rHeD5x2tI

mummer1973
03-07-2017, 09:23 PM
AHHHHH the 70s