PDA

View Full Version : Casting pewter bullets for cartridge board?

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
03-04-2017, 11:59 AM
So I've been thinking about this for a while and wondered if anyone had tried it.

I'd like to cast bullets of pewter for dummy rounds of cartridges that I want to have lead bullets, my thought being that the bullets won't oxidize and get crusty over time. I'm not a serious cartridge collector but my collection is growing and I'd like to start making up dummies for a cartridge board. Any thoughts from anyone that has actually done this?

I'll probably try to soon and post my results. I think I'll start with a my 452423 and 452374 and load both in auto rim and see how that goes

Ateam
03-04-2017, 12:04 PM
My guess would be that you are going to end up with a slightly different sized boolit (is it a boolit if it is made of pewter? a poolit maybe, I digress...) though for dummies, I doubt it would matter. I cast my pewter in an old 3oz sinker mold, and they do come out very shiny.

TexasGrunt
03-04-2017, 12:14 PM
I cast my pewter in sinker molds for alloying. No reason it won't work with boolit molds. I can tell you it's a bit harder to remove pewter from the mold than it is lead.

bedbugbilly
03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
The only experience I have had with casting pewter was years ago when I was in college. We built a centrifugal casting machine and did some lost wax process casting - never tried it in a bullet mold but it should work O.K. I would think. It would be worth a try to see how they come out and how they do size wise.

Or . . . you could be like the Lone Range and make those magical "silver bullets"! Think of it as an "investment" that you can enjoy looking at everyday!