PDA

View Full Version : Relentlessly contacting my congressman....Who'd a thunk it? Maybe democracy works.

AbitNutz
03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
So one of the dumber aspects of the NFA is the inclusion of silencers. I think this is dumb on so many levels. When I lived in Europe, if you had an air rifle, some places REQUIRED a silencer. Here, you put a silencer on anything but your dog and you get to stay at the federal hotel for a period of years.

I live in Ohio and when I saw that there were only 6 congressmen from Ohio that were co-sponsoring the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 and one of them wasn't my Congressman, I decided to make him aware that he was missing an opportunity...an opportunity to be re-elected if he didn't get on board. Low and behold! I got this email yesterday...
(I don't think it hurts that he is a senior member of the House Judiciary Committee)

March 3, 2017
Mr. Al XXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
Waynesville, OH 45068

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the regulation of silencers for firearms. I appreciate having your views on this important legislation.

On January 9, 2017, Congressman Jeff Duncan (R-SC) introduced H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 and it was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means and the House Committee on the Judiciary. H.R. 367 would deregulate silencers and eliminate the $200 tax on their transfer.

It is through hearing from people like you that I am better able to represent Ohio's First Congressional District. You will be pleased to know that after hearing from you and many others, I am now a cosponsor of this legislation. As a senior member of the House Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over most firearm legislation, I will keep your views in mind should similar legislation come before the House.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can ever be of assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, DC office at (202) 225-2216 or my Cincinnati office at (513) 684-2723. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
Steve Chabot
Member of Congress

jonp
03-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Good job! Too bad most of the people in the US would rather complain than actually do anything about it.

funnyjim014
03-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Wow, they actually read the mail you sent them... that would never happen here in NY. Good job

Geezer in NH
03-04-2017, 10:44 AM
My DEM Congresscritter Carol Shay Porter DNH has not answered me on it and I expected that as she is one of the D kind of politician. When she was in office 2 terms ago she did answer one letter rabidly anti-gun.

gwpercle
03-04-2017, 11:58 AM
My DEM Congresscritter Carol Shay Porter DNH has not answered me on it and I expected that as she is one of the D kind of politician. When she was in office 2 terms ago she did answer one letter rabidly anti-gun.

You know how to fix that , remember what she did come next election.
I don't know when the Democrat's are going to realize that anti-gun stance they have decided to embrace in going to get them out of office. The morning I heard Donald got elected I realized just maybe there is hope for our country after all. We all need to vote these people out.

Bzcraig
03-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Even though he is a democrat, it appears he understands he is to represent the 'people' of his district and not simply espouse his own personal beliefs. Good on you for sending a persuasive email and him for reading it and thoughtfully acting upon it. I'm impressed!

edler7
03-04-2017, 03:53 PM
You should go buy a lottery ticket with luck like that.

CraigOK
03-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Wow, thats nice to see that it makes a difference. Thanks for being a good example to follow and spreading hope

xs11jack
03-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Less than a month ago I wrote my senator Claire McClassel(sp) demicrat Mo., about a gun issue and she sent me her weekly news letter, this one about holding neighborhood meetings with her loyal voters. I am going to write her again and remind her about an election coming up.
Ole Jack

AbitNutz
03-04-2017, 10:11 PM
I started sending my US Senator, Sherod Brown, help wanted job postings...

You know, just because they're democrats doesn't mean that they can't be pro 2nd amendment. Out of the 116 cosponsors of Hearing Protection Act of 2017, there are 2 democrats. They're from Texas but they do caucus with their party so it shows there is hope.

I'm not a one-issue voter. The 2nd amendment is high on my list but it's not the only item on the list. However, it shouldn't interfere with the other important issues on the list. Unfortunately, many of the items on my list are on the opposite parties hit list...thus, you can't hardly find a democrat that supports the Hearing Protection Act...so I send them help wanted job ads to aid them in their careers after they get voted out of office.

Man! Do what I want you to do, not what you want to do. For example, It's just remotely possible that someone may be pro 2nd amendment AND pro-choice. So Mr/Ms democrat congressman, if you support 2nd amendment legislation it may actually gain you votes instead of losing them.