PDA

View Full Version : Slugging lead or Cerrosafe?

repeat
03-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Which gives a better picture of the actual inside the barrel size?

Omega
03-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Interested in the answer myself, since I just got some cerrosafe to do my old .303 Brit.

repeat
03-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Omega I get different sizes from slugging to Cerrosafe.
I wonder which I should go with?

maxreloader
03-03-2017, 10:08 PM
If you do it all "correctly" then its about 50/50... if you mess up then the cerrosafe is a bit easier to un-booger

edctexas
03-03-2017, 10:23 PM
You need to be very careful about when you remove the cerrosafe cast and when you measure it. There is a correction to be applied to the measurement which varies with time. You remove the cast very soon after it hardens. The casting shrinks for about 15-30 minutes. Then it starts to expand. The time after the cast hardens is used to calculate the correction.

If you have pure lead like a muzzleloader ball you can tap it in your barrel. It only needs to slightly oversized. I would not recommend using anything but BHN 5-6 lead.

Ed C

Yodogsandman
03-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Cerrosafe's dimensions change. Lead slugs do not and can be saved for years.

buckshotshoey
03-04-2017, 05:38 AM
Use pure lead for slugging barrels. Save the cerrosafe for chamber casting.

Tom Myers
03-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Which gives a better picture of the actual inside the barrel size?

Some information from the Online Help Files (http://www.tmtpages.com/draw/UltimateHelp/DesignUltimateHelp.htm) that are contained the Cast Bullet Design ~ Ultimate software (http://www.tmtpages.com/#ultimate)

Chamber Impact Impression Help Topic (http://www.tmtpages.com/draw/UltimateHelp/hs40.htm)

Chamber CerroSafe casting Help Topic (http://www.tmtpages.com/draw/UltimateHelp/hs30.htm)

Hope this helps.

Larry Gibson
03-04-2017, 11:34 AM
If you do it all "correctly" then its about 50/50... if you mess up then the cerrosafe is a bit easier to un-booger

+1

It's easy to mess up with either unless you are practiced with either. Both, when done correctly are equally accurate. Many calipers are not that accurate which is probably why we see a large disparity of measurements posted here, especially with cylinder throats on new revolvers. For accuracy a good micrometer should be used. I have used pin gauges from .308 up through .454 that measure out correctly with micrometers but have given errors of .001 - 004" +/- with numerous calipers.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
03-04-2017, 11:36 AM
another way to do it is to melt some sulpher and add about 20% graphite to the mix.
the sulpher doesn't change diameter.
it is a bit brittle though so you can't drop it.

the best way to do it is to make a small cardboard plug with a string run the string up the chamber.
put a cleaning rod in the barrel with a tight fitting patch under the cardboard from the muzzle end.
tight enough it will support the guns weight.

then melt the sulper and stir in the graphite.
funnel it into the chamber and let it cool off.
then gently tap the rod while tugging on the string.
what comes out should be a non shrinking replica of your throat and chamber.

dverna
03-04-2017, 02:19 PM
For barrel size, a simple soft lead slug is by far easier and accurate enough. It will give the minimum diameter. Typically, the force required to move it down the barrel is constant once it starts to move. That is a good thing. If you encounter increase resistance at a spot, it means the barrel is a tad smaller in diameter at that spot. If that happens, and the gun will not shoot well, you can use a lead lap to open up that section of the barrel.

For chamber measurement, cerrosafe has been used for decades but you need to correct for aging as mentioned above. Goodsteel posted a method for doing a "pound cast" and it would be a good option as well. Being lead, it will be accurate and last for years.

repeat
03-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the replies folks.I get it now.The light came on.
In a revolver the cerrosafe measures the chamber area and lead slugging measures the bore.
I have some pure lead and will try again.
I read the post and pics of a rifle being properly slugged and enjoyed it and learned from it but I can't use a case for a Ruger Blackhawk.
So just pure lead freshly poured bullet?

buckshotshoey
03-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the replies folks.I get it now.The light came on.
In a revolver the cerrosafe measures the chamber area and lead slugging measures the bore.
I have some pure lead and will try again.
I read the post and pics of a rifle being properly slugged and enjoyed it and learned from it but I can't use a case for a Ruger Blackhawk.
So just pure lead freshly poured bullet?

It actually has to be quite a bit oversize . When you drive it into the barrel, many times it will sheer a ring of lead from the slug. When i slugged my 45- 70, i used a 50 cal maxiball (pure lead or close to it). I had to remove a little of the diameter, but it worked. Use common sense. There may be other recommendations, but .010" over suspected bore diameter is a good place to start and use a plastic mallet to start it.

sutherpride59
03-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Just slug the barrel or better yet do a pound cast, if you do a pound cast make sure you oil the barrel and place a piece of paper towel or small piece of cleaning patch between the lead and the steel rod. It will keep the lead from flowing over the rod and works great.

repeat
03-05-2017, 11:55 PM
My Blackhawk is 45 lc so could I use my 45/70 bullet mold with pure lead melted in a ladle?
I understand the pounding procedure and taping the metal rod so it does not impact the barrel.
So could I use a .458 or close to that to slug my 45 lc?

44man
03-07-2017, 10:39 AM
I have Cerrosafe and never had accurate figures at any time with the time charts. My main use is to see the caliber the chamber is.

Tom Myers
03-07-2017, 02:06 PM
I have Cerrosafe and never had accurate figures at any time with the time charts. My main use is to see the caliber the chamber is.

44Man,

Most probably because the time charts that are out there are all base upon false assumptions.

See if the procedures outlined here can do a better job.

Chamber CerroSafe casting Help Topic (http://www.tmtpages.com/draw/UltimateHelp/hs30.htm)

runfiverun
03-08-2017, 12:39 AM
you'll need a 4 lb hammer to get a 458 in that 45.

which 45 colt are we talking about?
if it's an old style vaquero, 453 is the diameter you want.
if it's a black hawk, red hawk, hunter, or vaquero,,, 452.
452 in a rossi lever gun.
454 in an old colt, 452 in the new ones.
the pietta's, USFA's and such, 452 again.

44man
03-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Old Vaquero is .452" after reaming or lapping the throats.

repeat
03-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Sorry to be late on information as health problems can keep me down for some time now.
I'm using a Ruger Blackhawk Stainless Bisley about 10 to 15 years old.
I slugged the barrel again and got .450.It sounded tight so I tried again and still got .450 to .451.
I hope I did it right.I could not get a .458 bullet to even start so I cast a .454 bullet out of pure lead and used a hammer and wooden dowel to get it down the oiled bore.I used calipers but I have a better measuring tool I'll try next when I find it.
The gun has only fired about 20-30 rounds through it so far.

repeat
03-12-2017, 08:35 AM
I slugged several guns.The Rossi 45 lc was .452,the Blackhawk was .450-.451,the 45 acp's were all close and S&W 44 mag was .427,45/70 Marlin .457
You guys were spot on.