PDA

View Full Version : Is brass obsolete??? Shell Shock Technologies

beechbum444
03-03-2017, 12:14 AM
I was not sure where to post this info....Any thoughts.......

9mm cases that are not made from brass, reloadable, able to be picked up with a magnet, cheaper than new 9mm brass, don't stretch

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/shop/cases-reloading-tools/1000-unprimed-9mm-nas3-cases/

TES
03-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Only problem with light cases is they tend to tumble around in the case feeder rather than drop like normal brass. i learned this when we loaded aluminium cases. .085 per brand new uber case...not bad.

GRUMPA
03-03-2017, 12:29 AM
The case itself seems OK....that is until you see the price for there die set.

M-Tecs
03-03-2017, 12:31 AM
Two piece design is interesting.

GRUMPA
03-03-2017, 12:42 AM
After reading it a bit more there's a couple of things that puzzle me. They mention that if the bullet itself wobbles or spins it means the bullet is seated to deep. And they state the bullet doesn't need to be seated as deeply, now isn't the depth of the bullet determined by the chamber, throat etc?

Bzcraig
03-03-2017, 12:42 AM
I always like to see folks be innovating but not sure about this. Is bullet seating and crimping done with regular dies?

GRUMPA
03-03-2017, 01:00 AM
I always like to see folks be innovating but not sure about this. Is bullet seating and crimping done with regular dies?

It seems so, but even watching 2 videos that's the part they aren't showing. I've watched the first half of the two videos, it seems there main focus points are using there own brand of the sizing die and flaring tool. Then the video with the Dillon 650 they say the flaring from the flaring/powder drop is OK. Seems when sizing there brass, it's important that you don't pull down the case using the extractor groove. There die is spring loaded so it'll push the brass down after sizing and not put stress on the extractor/head area of the case. Of course they stress the case must be lubed even though there sizer is carbide.

runfiverun
03-03-2017, 01:30 AM
if you pull up on the case like in a normal size die you'll pull the 2 piece design apart.
the flash hole is what holds everything together. [like a hollow 2 ended rivet]
everyone I have discussed this with doesn't like it for one reason or another.

my problem is what happens when the extractor jerks on the bottom of the case held together with that tube.
you can't size them in a regular die because the case will separate from that stress soo...

this idea is not gonna make any inroads with reloaders other than someones gonna show up somewhere with a box full to show everyone.

WJP
03-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Another gimmick like pcp in my opinion. Don't see it ever catching on. Remember this stuff though so in 20 years you can tell the younger generation about it when they ask "Anyone ever heard of this stuff? "

beechbum444
03-03-2017, 01:43 AM
I'm guessing that they are chasing military contracts with the "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain" theory.....but if they carry twice the ammo, they are back where they started......:)

Teddy (punchie)
03-03-2017, 06:41 AM
already said but I'll just add if it sounds to good to be true then !!!

Sasquatch-1
03-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Maybe buy a box or two to set aside as a curio for the Grandkids.

buckshotshoey
03-03-2017, 08:15 AM
if you pull up on the case like in a normal size die you'll pull the 2 piece design apart.
the flash hole is what holds everything together. [like a hollow 2 ended rivet]
everyone I have discussed this with doesn't like it for one reason or another.

my problem is what happens when the extractor jerks on the bottom of the case held together with that tube.
you can't size them in a regular die because the case will separate from that stress soo...

this idea is not gonna make any inroads with reloaders other than someones gonna show up somewhere with a box full to show everyone.
This! Eventually, the forces of the extraction process, i.e. of yanking the cartridge from the chamber, is going to separate the case and cause a stoppage. If it will do it in the reloading die, it will do it in a chamber. Of course I have no first hand knowledge of this happening. Just conjecture.

Another p.i.t.a. scenario......if these catch on, us reloaders are going to have to sort carefully when picking up range brass.

Tackleberry41
03-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Maybe everybody remembers when tupperware guns first came out and how everybody said they would never last. Imagine if we could simply run a shop magnet over the range and collect all our brass? So its new and different, maybe its better, maybe its not. But perhaps it should be given a chance.

17nut
03-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Wonder how many trips through a 1911 they will last.
My 45ACP will rip cases in two if i spank it to hard.

Walter Laich
03-03-2017, 03:11 PM
......if these catch on, us reloaders are going to have to sort carefully when picking up range brass.

course you could run a magnet over the pile and all these fancy new 'toys' would get pulled out by that way

In any event I'll be saving my $$ for other things

country gent
03-03-2017, 03:23 PM
This has been done before with rifle brass for high pressure loads. Steel case heads. I seen a few of them. I believe the attachment was different though. Steel cases were used during WW2 due to brass shortages. Some other countries used steel cases for ammo. I'm also curious not only on the "joint" but also the seal of it, gas could blow back through a loose or weakened joint easily.

Moleman-
03-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Who wants to lube high volume pistol cases (9mm, 40, 45acp) and run them through a $100 spring loaded die when you can just run them through a $35 carbide die set with no lube? This is one of those "looks good on paper" idea.

NoAngel
03-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Always somebody trying to ice skate uphill.

lightman
03-03-2017, 04:59 PM
I expect brass to be around for a while longer. I remember a few things over the years that were good ideas and never took off. I think H&K played around with careless ammo at one time.

dragon813gt
03-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Who wants to lube high volume pistol cases (9mm, 40, 45acp) and run them through a $100 spring loaded die when you can just run them through a $35 carbide die set with no lube? This is one of those "looks good on paper" idea.

Spray on case lube. Many use it now as it makes the process smoother. You don't notice it on a single stage but you do on a progressive. It takes an extra seconds to lube them this way.

dbosman
03-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Oh, it's so comfortable to be on here with others who remember the experiments of the past. Instead of thinking what ever is trending is actually new and news.

Thanks folks.

Elkins45
03-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Oh, it's so comfortable to be on here with others who remember the experiments of the past. Instead of thinking what ever is trending is actually new and news.

Thanks folks.

Yeah, like that silly smokeless powder, and the internet, and powder coating...

It is new and it is news. It remains to be seen if it's an improvement, but it's as certain as the sunrise that people will line up to pee on any new idea. Perhaps you remember the first time you heard people talking about Glocks?

Whether it is accepted as a commercial product will probably not have much to do wiith how reloadable it is. Steel and aluminum cased ammo has been a commercial success. If ammo makers can save a penny a box by using the stuff then it's here to stay.

gwpercle
03-04-2017, 01:24 PM
I remember when caseless ammo and plastic cased ammo hit the scene and how it was going to make brass cased ammo obsolete. Right , those ideas bombed !
I can get 1,500 once fired brass 9mm cases for $16.00 from local range and my dies cost $13.50 when I bought them.
At the prices they are charging I don't think I'm ready to jump into that "new and improved" hype just yet. I give them 5-6 years before fading into distant memory....unless they get a Government contract or some deal where we taxpayers subsidize them . Subsidies kept the residential solar panel companies in business in LA. . as soon as the Federal and state subsidies in Louisiana ended these companies disappeared..... their product was overpriced and couldn't survive .
Gary

Texas by God
03-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Good try at a solution to a non existent problem. Will join the memories of Wanda and Activ plastic shot shells, Daisy and Voere and HK caseless rifle ammo, Remington Etronix, etc.
Best, Thomas.

Elkins45
03-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Like I said, it all depends on the economics of scale. If they can save money with it then it will succeed. You have to remember that the vast majority of handgun rounds are fired with no thought as to reusing the case at all. The fact this new stuff is harder to reload only matters to a small percentage of the total user base.

I remember the plastic cased 38 special ammo. It was only suitable for very low pressure stuff, and IIRC correctly it required heeled bullets to reload. The problem with the HK caseless stuff was heat management: the brass case removes quite a bit of heat from the system when it is ejected and the caseless guns got hot faster than conventional ones. None of the failed experiments of the past offered an economic advantage, or they were different enough that people were leery of them.

These things still look like metal cartridge cases, so Joe Millenial that shoots 50 rounds of factory ammo at the indoor range might buy them if they are 50 cents cheaper than the brass cased option. Price, not reloadability will probably be the deciding factor in its success or failure.

IMO they should be marketing them to people who sell loaded ammo, not the reloading market. Seriously, who has a big problem with their 9mm cases stretching too much?

TexasGrunt
03-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Feel free to send me all your obsolete brass casings. I'll pay shipping.

Shiloh
03-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Not by a long shot.

Shiloh

Smk SHoe
03-04-2017, 09:12 PM
AM I the only one who spends the afternoon trimming 9mm cases[smilie=b: ( sarc off)

scottfire1957
03-04-2017, 11:55 PM
I was not sure where to post this info....Any thoughts.......

9mm cases that are not made from brass, reloadable, able to be picked up with a magnet, cheaper than new 9mm brass, don't stretch

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/shop/cases-reloading-tools/1000-unprimed-9mm-nas3-cases/

No. Brass cases are not obsolete. At all. Until these become mainstream, and brass cases have disappeared, no. Not at all. How long will that take, do you think?

zubrato
03-05-2017, 03:59 AM
For a company testing the market for a cheaper more durable metallic case reloading option, 9mm sure was a dumb choice for a pilot cartridge. I sure can't wait to scramble at the range picking up my boutique two piece metallic cases, and reload them on proprietary dies.
Definitely not like I could pick up hundreds or thousands of 9mm cases free at my local range...
Then again, knowing their market (us) maybe they will gain some minimal traction.
After all, we're the "spend 300$ to save a few cents per round" crowd.
Hell, I'm guilty of convincing myself I could save time by purchasing another powder measure, but maybe an expensive one this time, since I like nice things and why the hell not :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smk SHoe
03-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Ive been reloading ( and casting on and off) since the late 80's. When is this money saving thing going to happen? As others have stated. this may be good for the person that only shoots a few factory boxes a year. But I can not see how a two piece brass is going to handle the multiple reloads. I have .45 acp brass that has been reloaded 50-60 times. ( My 1911 usually eats brass before it wears it out.)

Bigslug
03-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Can't load it on standard equipment. Ten cents a hull. Range brass that can be loaded on standard equipment is free. What's a single box of 9mm ammo - which is roughly what a peace officer will be carrying - weigh? The fact that the special case is 50% lighter than brass is a only a concern for the loadmasters packing pallets of it onto C-17's PASS!