PDA

View Full Version : Question on powder coat

jamesp81
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
I've heard that the Eastwood powders are pretty good. I was looking at the this one: http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-super-gloss-clear.html

It's clear. I'm not really into the various colors, to be honest, and I like the idea of them looking like regular old lead. Has anyone tried this particular coat, and does it work?

Eddie17
03-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Have you looked at Smokes powder? Vendor sponser, great product!

Walter Laich
03-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Like Eddie above I like Smoke's product and try to support the 'local' vendors.

NoAngel
03-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Have you looked at Smokes powder? Vendor sponser, great product!

BEST product, BEST guy. Period.

RogerDat
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Smoke test what he sells, you know it will work and if it requires a gun or will work as shake and bake.

His white aluminum is probably pretty close to a lead grey.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

I also give him props for being on the forum helping members who are working their way through the learning curve. Seems clear he is here for more than just making a buck.

When considering price you might want to consider how many thousands of bullets you can coat per pound. Makes a few dollar difference insignificant when spread out across hundreds of bullets, or getting a "deal" on 10 pound purchase sort of pointless unless you are coating bullets for an army to fight in both zombie apocalypse and the Umbrella Corporation after the t-virus gets released. Really it is about like saving 10 cents a pound on lead you are using to cast .223 55 grain bullets. Not a factor worth worrying about.

jcren
03-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Love smokes powders, his clear is my go-to for my ammo. Use the pretty stuff for the ladies or special load designation.

Walter Laich
03-03-2017, 03:21 PM
...unless you are coating bullets for an army to fight in both zombie apocalypse and the Umbrella Corporation after the t-virus gets released...

I'm going after the zombies, Alice seems to have the U. Corp well under control

gpidaho
03-03-2017, 04:44 PM
For what ever reason, clear PC seems to work the best for me. I add just a touch of color to tell at a glance which are coated and I like the look. Gp

Smk SHoe
03-04-2017, 08:11 AM
+1 on Smokes powder. When i started I used a few different kinds of powder. One color coated really well but very thick. Other colors from same company not good at all ( The powder is suppose to be used with a gun, so can't knock the powder). Finally used enough to have to resupply and ordered four colors from Smoke's. Got them in two days and all colors coat great. Not so thick to cause issues and great coverage

clearcut
03-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Smokes powders work great with a fast turnaround time !!!

CC

Grmps
03-04-2017, 02:33 PM
I also like smokes powder but, in answer to your question most polyester gloss PC usually will work for dry tumble PC, the flat and matt finishes need to be sprayed. If you find a good deal an a high gloss polyester pc give it a shot. Smoke has tested all the powder before he sells it so all his powders work.